Venison Pastrami

Trial153

WKR
Took some Venison Pastrami off the smoker
7c3bdf8d766fc341c8f51f3f5a897e18.jpg

Wrench

WKR
I've done this too, if you spiral cut the meat to create a long thing strip (think wide roll of tape) when you brine it and then string tie it with butchers twine it really helps brine soak the center yet comes out tender.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Great! Use a grill type pellet smoker, charcoal smoker, electric smoker,...?

On this batch I used a pellet smoker as I was able to do them while i was at work for the day. However I have used my up right smoker as well, it just takes a bit more regulation to keep the temp right. Any smoker will work fine.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Hold my beer...I am doing this recipe off the top or my head and on my phone..

Venison Pastrami
~ for deer size game use a whole round, top or bottom. Moose, Elk or caribou cut the round in half then split it with out going through. Think of butterfled loin only bigger.
~ you want the total thickness to be about 2 to 4 inches
~make a simple brine,water, salt( just enough till an egg floats) pepper corns, couple of bay leaves, then a handful of pickling spices. Last for about a gallon of brine I use about 1tsp of number 1 pink salt.
~ Brine the meat for about 5 days, little more if its thicker or a day or two less if its thinner. A crock in the fridge works, so does a covered bucket in a cool or cold garage or basement
~Make the rub. I make big batch and keep using it till its gone.
︎4TBSP ground black pepper. Medium to fine
︎4 TBSP ground coriander
︎1tsp onion powder
︎1 tsp garlic powder
︎1tsp of smoked paprika

~Take the meat from the brine, rinse it well then dry it will a towel. Let it get to room temp.
~set your smoker to 200ish
~rub the meat with the Pastrami rub so its fully covered.
~ smoke it till its done..don't ask how long. Depends on the day, full rounds will be from about 5 to 7 hours.
Let it set at room temp before you put it back in the fridge..

~ the BEST way to reheat it is over a steam bath.
~ You can keep it whole in the fridge for a while or you can slice it vacuum seal it...at that point it can stay a week or so in the fridge or freeze it.
~ If your going to make Reubens...reheat the slices of Pastrami in hot pan with butter...

Hope this helps.

Last edited: