Venison Pastrami

Trial153

WKR
Had a great day yesterday. Spent the morning with the family while some Venison Pastrami was in the smoker. I grilled some Rubins for dinner.
c60a98f20a2806f86f1d0afb9828cc2d.jpg
bd517e3453d85962acffb418dcf33a12.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Had a great day yesterday. Spent the morning with the family while some Venison Pastrami was in the smoker. I grilled some Rubins for dinner.
c60a98f20a2806f86f1d0afb9828cc2d.jpg
bd517e3453d85962acffb418dcf33a12.jpg

Oh man, speaking my language here. So did you roast the venison first, or does your smoker cook it? I know nothing about pastrami other than I like to eat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Oh man, speaking my language here. So did you roast the venison first, or does your smoker cook it? I know nothing about pastrami other than I like to eat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I brine the roast for a week. Then I season, and smoke it to 120 degrees.
I then can either steam the pastrami or grill it to finish it

Richieber

FNG
I brine the roast for a week. Then I season, and smoke it to 120 degrees.
I then can either steam the pastrami or grill it to finish it
Wow that looks awesome, when finishing on the grill what temp do you cook it to?

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Wow that looks awesome, when finishing on the grill what temp do you cook it to?
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I slice it thin then I get cast iron pan very hot, slap some butter on it and finish the meat quick....maybe a minute or so...then I pile the sauerkraut on top with swiss cheese.....cover it and take it off as soon as the cheese is melted.
I pretoast rye bread in the buttered pan.....finish with Russian dressing or brown mustard..

LostArra

WKR
What is your post-brine rinsing method? My last batch turned out a little salty because I rushed it and didn't soak it in water as long as I should. I usually soak it 6-8 hours, changing the water maybe once.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
man that looks amazing what rub you using and when you brine just a standard recipe?
I make one gallon of brine. Bring in to a boil and then cool it to room temp.
Gallon of water
1 cup of Kosher salt
1/2 sugar
Scant 2 tablespoons of pink salt
Bay leaves
Peppercorns
Caraway seeds
Pickling spice
Smash a head of garlic

The rub is equal parts coriander and black pepper with little bit of garlic powder.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
What is your post-brine rinsing method? My last batch turned out a little salty because I rushed it and didn't soak it in water as long as I should. I usually soak it 6-8 hours, changing the water maybe once.

I think if it's too salty no amount of rinsing will help. It was in the brine too long. Cut back on amount of time in the brine. Or cut back a bit on the salt in your brine.

I just take the roast out and wash them in with cold tap water. I then let them air dry on a rack and pat them with a paper towel. I let them air dry for couple hours before I season them and smoke them.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
The pink salt, is that the pink cure salt?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yes instacure #1

You can forgo it however the meat will turn gray and unappealing it also will get a little bit of taste change, and of course the slight chance of getting botulism

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Pastrami
We have been using this recipe from Cabela's of all places, for a bunch of years. We usually do 4-8 venison roasts per year, slice them thin, and vacuum seal enough for 2 rubins per pack. This year we're going to try it with elk as well as some goose breasts we have an abundance of. One trick I've found really puts it over the top is to buy a tinfoil turkey roaster and put a 1/2 inch of beef stock in it. When to roasts hit 120ish in the smoker I transfer all of them to the roaster and seal the top with more tinfoil. Then finish it on the grill and let the roasts absorb some of the stock. It keeps it moist and really adds to the flavor.