Venison Pastrami

sro914

FNG
Here is a recipe I have used it was a mortons recipe i just made a few adjustments to.
ELK PASTRAMI
6 tbsp. Morton’s Tender Quick
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 tbsp pickling spice
2 1/2 qt. water.
2 tbsp. coarse black pepper
2 tbsp. coriander, ground
2 tbsp. mustard seed
5 lbs. elk, moose, bear or venison top round
Combine a half-quart water with first 4 ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to rapid boil and stir until dissolved. Cool brine; pour mixture into a large glass container( i use a gallon pickle jar with large lid). Add 2 quarts water. Submerge meat in brine and refrigerate for 10 days; five days f meat is pumped with brining solution. Stir brine and turn meat every second day. At the end of curing time, remove meat from brine; immerse in fresh water and soak for 24 hours. Drain; pat dry. Rub all sides with coarse pepper, mustard seed and coriander. Insert meat thermometer into center of seasoned meat; place meat on smoker ( i used a traeger start at 150 degrees until surface of meat is dry. Gradually increase the temperature to 200 degrees to 210 degrees and hold until internal temperature of meat reads 175 degrees. Remove meat from oven, cool and eat. Really good with hot mustard and Rye bread

I think if it's too salty no amount of rinsing will help. It was in the brine too long. Cut back on amount of time in the brine. Or cut back a bit on the salt in your brine.

I just take the roast out and wash them in with cold tap water. I then let them air dry on a rack and pat them with a paper towel. I let them air dry for couple hours before I season them and smoke them.
Slice off silver after you pull it out the brine..Fry in pan and taste...if it's too salty soak in cold water for a couple hours...had pretty good luck with it pulling some of the saltiness out of the meat this way. I have left in brine too long before.

Checkmate

FNG
venison pastrami is probably my favorite thing to make with venison. Turns out fantastic and we do the reubens as well. They are awesome. Going to have to put some roasts in the brine!