Venison Stock - any good recipes to share?

tdot

WKR
Grandma always taught us how to make broth just from the bones and left over scraps from chicken or beef. So that's all I've ever done with the Venison as well. But I feel like I might be missing out on something tasty, so any tips or recipes?

circles

FNG
Two tips to share.

Filter the broth through paper towels when it's still warm/hot. This clarifies it nicely and can get out a lot of fat if you still have any.

Reduce the broth by at least half it's volume. After you concentrate the flavor by reducing the volume it's like a whole different product. I don't use any salt, seasonings, or vegetables. All the flavor comes from reducing the stock. It's tedious to make but really good.

I would suggest roasting the bones on the gril low and slow and the same with the pot of water, add celery carrots and onion in small amount and simmer low for like 9 hours then pressure can the stock. I don't worry about reduction. I don't filter much either, just run through mesh metal strainer then out in ball jars for canning.

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Bone broth: 1 tablespoon pink salt, 1/2 teaspoon of the spices, 5-6 garlic cloves, 2-3 sprigs green onion, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, . Toss it all in a slow cooker with 4-5 cups of water and cook on low for 8-10 hours. I usually just let it cook overnight.

Attachments

• C27A1B0E-1D36-4155-A09E-A2EAB1C4C32F.jpeg
    C27A1B0E-1D36-4155-A09E-A2EAB1C4C32F.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 14

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest roasting the bones on the gril low and slow and the same with the pot of water, add celery carrots and onion in small amount and simmer low for like 9 hours then pressure can the stock. I don't worry about reduction. I don't filter much either, just run through mesh metal strainer then out in ball jars for canning.
I concur. Roasting the bones in the grill or smoker yields great flavor for your stock. I rub the bones down in beef tallow or olive oil and a generous amount of salt prior to putting in smoker.

peterk123

WKR
Venison, or any other bones; I roast them in the oven at 400 degrees. Then into a pot with peppercorns, celery, garlic, onion and bay leaves. Cook for several hours until the water reduces 25% to 50%. Then I pressure can them in one quart jars for 25 minutes. I just did 20 quarts of turkey stock this way over the weekend. Stock is 2 bucks a quart where I live. Most people throw out bones. It's such a waste.

Good luck, and good on you for wanting to make it !

fishslap

WKR
I just made some mule deer stock using a meateater recipe out of their big game book. I used some of it already. No complaints.

now heres how you make the wife happy, fry up some bacon chopped up until crispy.. set aside, (do not drain fat) add in small amount of chopped celery, onion, carrot, garlic, ginger and fry til browning. deglaze pan with soy sauce and seseme oil, add in some of your stock and simmer. Now boil up some cheap ramen noodles and toss them in the broth and adjust taste with soy sauce. place in bowl and top with bacon and green onions. This is ounce a week for us, the wife frys up pot stickers to go along with it.

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Your stock won't come out as clear, but I always toss a little tomato paste with my bones and veg. It caramelizes and adds yet more depth and flavor.

If you season do it at the end with the exception of peppercorns.

Add a bouquet garni (small bundle of thyme,parsley,and bay leaf) tied together with butchers twine makes for easy retrieval.

Use as many bones as your pot will allow.

The sign of a good stock is that it'll solidify and look like jello after cooling in the fridge. Dont worry it'll return to liquid when heated. That's all the collagen and good stuff that we need after being rough on our joints etc.

TomJoad

WKR
As @Dadnstuff mentioned roasting bones is a game changer. For me stock making is a winter activity so I do this in the top rack of an oven at 550 in a rimmed baking sheet, turning the bones every 5 min or so. The benefit here is after all bones are finished and transferred to the stock pot you can put the smoking hot sheet pan on your stove and add 1 cup of water or white wine to deglaze all of the crusty bits and fat from this process. Dump that delicious brown mixture right into your stock pot. I do the roasting process while I’m heating my stock pot that is full of water.

Ingredients:
- Parmesan rinds. Yup, sounds weird but they are an amazing addition to stocks.
- celery and onion
- carrot
- fresh thyme and rosemary
- whole peppercorns

other pro tips:

- I keep gallon ziplocks in the freezer year round for stock scraps, one for veggies scraps and rinds, one for bird bones and one for meat (game, beef, pork & lamb). I do several stock making sessions over the winter with the bones I’ve saved all year long. It’s a fun weekend activity and will make your house smell great.

- if you want to up your stock game consider a chinois which is a super fine mesh strainer with a wooden pestle. I strain into a colander, then through a coarse mesh strainer and final pass is on the chinois.

- fat separation is easiest in the fridge after straining: chill in a bowl and the fat will form a hard cap you can pull off directly

- After straining and separating fat, I freeze 1/2- 3/4 of my stock and make Demi glacé from the remaining 1/2. This is made my reducing strained stock by over 1/2 until it thickens to the point that it costs the back of a metal spoon. I use ice cube trays for freezing this and then ziplock the cubes. This is a game changer for weeknight cooking as 1 cube will take sauces, soups to the next level with no large time investment.

Last edited:

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
I do the same thing regarding stockpiling bones in the freezer. For stock, I've found that you can mix any mammal bones (beef, pork, venison, etc.) and still have a good tasting stock. I've added beef and chicken bones and made stock, and it just seemed like conflicting flavors to me.

But yeah, I save chicken bones from rotisserie, steak bones, always keep some venison bones (big bones with more marrow - femur, fib, tib, sawed in wafers), etc. Toss em in a big freezer bag and use whenever you want to make some broth. A handful of bones can make several quarts of stock.