Ventum 33

Ajax2744

FNG
Hey you guys. I just wanted to update the progress with the ventum33. It’s has still been fun bow to shoot and have enjoyed it’s so far.

I had some time this morning to get over to a spot that I can shoot broadheads and see how things were going to fly for the first time. A couple weekends ago I bareshafted the new bow and saw good results. Last weekend I checked paper at about 10ft or so and that looked good as well. Counting this morning I have approximately 300 shots through it.

This brings me back to this mornings Broadhead check. I started at 30 and worked back. As usual when the work is put in, the results are undeniable. For the most part it was an average morning of shooting. I had some shots that held perfect and some that didn’t. With that said, the setup has proved to be pretty forgiving, and as accurate as my last one.

I was able to get it hitting good out to 90 with my fp. I will be rechecking 70-90 though because the sun was making it hard to see where my shot broke on the target cause I couldn’t see my spot. I was holding in the center though and it hit good, I just couldn’t really hone in on a spot. This was the best group at 70 I had today. The other two groups were about 2” bigger. Broadhead the one on the bottom.

View attachment 271585

So as of right now my setup for the season will be as follows unless I have some very minor changes.

ventum33
31”dl
29.5” of carbon - VAP 250
20g Valkyrie sleeve
180g short jag
4- aae hybrid 26
535g total
Measured 16.5% foc
I’m actually not sure on the speed but it’s fast by my standard. My last arrows were 550-555 and were around 268 with my realmx in comfort and .5” shorter draw. I will update a speed when I go to the shop next time. Anyhow that’s my update on the hoyt and what tuned up really well for me.
why did you increase your draw a 1/2” with the ventum? I would bet your draw length is too long unless your like 6’6”. Too long of draw can cause torque that forces the rest and sight in towards the riser. Also the fact that it tuned better when you shot a high wrist leads me to believe your draw is long.

TheViking

WKR
Yeah mine tuned very stiff with the factory shim kit as well. That was my issue too, ran so far to the left that it covered up my sight housing. I would have been up a crick if it weren't for the PSE shim kit. Although my 260, and 250 spine shafts worked fine. If I were you I would go with a lighter gpi 250 spine. I was looking at the Goldtip Airstrike if the Axis wouldn't have worked.

My ventum is tuning super stiff too.

72# 30” draw
Easton Axis 250 spine 4mm
29.5” carbon 175 up front

I had it cut at 30” and was getting some inconsistent tears. Cut it down a 1/2” and it cleaned right up.

OP
406unltd

406unltd

WKR
why did you increase your draw a 1/2” with the ventum? I would bet your draw length is too long unless your like 6’6”. Too long of draw can cause torque that forces the rest and sight in towards the riser. Also the fact that it tuned better when you shot a high wrist leads me to believe your draw is long.
When i shot it at 30.5 it didnt feel right and felt short to me. Set it at 31 and it felt like home. Not the best angle but this is how it looks on me at 31”. My arms are stupid long. I have a 77” wingspan and im only 6’

Attachments

• C9DEC00D-DE36-4229-A46A-EB8A694AAE48.jpeg
    C9DEC00D-DE36-4229-A46A-EB8A694AAE48.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 55

Ajax2744

FNG
When i shot it at 30.5 it didnt feel right and felt short to me. Set it at 31 and it felt like home. Not the best angle but this is how it looks on me at 31”. My arms are stupid long. I have a 77” wingspan and im only 6’
I understand. I am 6’ with a 78” wingspan. I shoot best at 29.75”. To me it does look like your front shoulder is collapsing and you are slightly leaning back. Your draw elbow is dropped and angled slightly towards the ground leading me to believe you in fact are a little long on the draw.

OP
406unltd

406unltd

WKR
Haha. If I have the same issues as you did mine will be for sale shortly after it gets here!!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Ya seems like people can’t hardly give these away on AT. I see them listed all the time and no one bites....ever.

Zac

WKR
My ventum is tuning super stiff too.

72# 30” draw
Easton Axis 250 spine 4mm
29.5” carbon 175 up front

I had it cut at 30” and was getting some inconsistent tears. Cut it down a 1/2” and it cleaned right up.
Sorry I meant it treated everything weak. I was constantly fighting a left tear. I haven't put it through the chrono with this arrow build but if it has crazy speeds then I guess I can't complain about it.

Last edited:
Mines tuning pretty well. And grouping well. I had to go back and fix a couple issues that came to light in the CBC. It’s still not 100% where I want it though. Just needs some fine tuning with fixed BHs.

406unltd...enjoyed your video.

Which one? I liked the draw, quietness, and tuning of the realm x but didn’t care for the grip. I like the speed, and quietness of v33. Tuning was easy as well. My gripe is just a couple of other superficial issues I have with it. It’s not going to keep me from killing with it, I’m just not a giant fan of the bow overall. I’d take back my realmx if given the choice.
Most people feel the same. Mine is a bad bitch. I've played taking the grip off and leaving it on, but as of now it is off with some athletic tape now. Feels much better.

OP
406unltd

406unltd

WKR
Mines tuning pretty well. And grouping well. I had to go back and fix a couple issues that came to light in the CBC. It’s still not 100% where I want it though. Just needs some fine tuning with fixed BHs.

406unltd...enjoyed your video.
Thanks. I try not to bash things unless it’s totally deserved. If I have a personal issue with the bow I try not to drag it through the mud on video because a lot of people are really happy with it. Btw that’s a awesome buck in your picture there.

Last edited:
Mine is maxed out at 63lbs, I removed the grip before my first arrow as I prefer to shoot directly off the riser.

Gold Tip Velocity Pro, 340 spine, cut 26" Carbon to Carbon, 100 grain broadhead. I typically shoot a 28.5" draw length, but didn't like the sight picture so I dropped down to 28" and it was money. I also didn't like the feeling of 85% let off, so set it at 80%.

Snow in my yard has finally melted so last night I worked on sighting in 50 and 60. It took me 6 arrows total to dial in those pins. Bow is quiet, holds great and it's going to shoot some stuff real soon!

This thread is one of only a few I can find with a less than desirable results and had me worried about tuning issues & needing to shim, etc.... glad I didn't have to do any of that and real glad I got a Ventum 33!

Last edited:
I’m shooting a Ventum 33 70-80 lb. Set at 76 lbs right now. 27.5” draw. Shooting a 26” 300
Spine Easton arrow with 210 grains up front. Hamskea Trinity rest.

Mine shoots lights out. Groups great. Been shooting and grouping great. Only Issue I’ve had is smashing the back of arrows. Broke another arrow yesterday at 60.

Initially My broadheads were hitting a touch right so I shimmed it and think I’m pretty close. Testing broadheads after the shim I Shot a good group at 90 yards with broadheads. Here is a pic. 2 fixed blades and 2 field points at 90.

Centershot is 13/16”. I have no issues with cables or riser being in sight picture.

Attachments

• 19F62351-E2E3-4A63-838A-7D63895691F4.jpeg
    19F62351-E2E3-4A63-838A-7D63895691F4.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
406unltd

406unltd

WKR
Mine is maxed out at 63lbs, I removed the grip before my first arrow as I prefer to shoot directly off the riser.

Gold Tip Velocity Pro, 340 spine, cut 26" Carbon to Carbon, 100 grain broadhead. I typically shoot a 28.5" draw length, but didn't like the sight picture so I dropped down to 28" and it was money. I also didn't like the feeling of 85% let off, so set it at 80%.

Snow in my yard has finally melted so last night I worked on sighting in 50 and 60. It took me 6 arrows total to dial in those pins. Bow is quiet, holds great and it's going to shoot some stuff real soon!

This thread is one of only a few I can find with a less than desirable results and had me worried about tuning issues & needing to shim, etc.... glad I didn't have to do any of that and real glad I got a Ventum 33!
It shouldn’t have worried you at all. At least not from what I’ve said about it. I’ve never mentioned it didn’t tune. I have multiple visuals and proof at the beginning of this thread showing that it actually tuned very easily for me. I didn’t even touch the shims. I moved centershot 1/16 and had bs out to 50 and bh to 90. That’s not my gripe. It’s the housing and cables in my sight picture that I have issues with. Nothing else really. Not everybody is going to have the same experience with these bows so it’s nothing to be getting worked up over

Well, when your bow shop is a 7 hour drive away... and you've been shooting a turn key bow with no issues for the past 6 seasons... anything out of the ordinary worries a guy :)

Reactions: Zac
OP
406unltd

406unltd

WKR
Well, when your bow shop is a 7 hour drive away... and you've been shooting a turn key bow with no issues for the past 6 seasons... anything out of the ordinary worries a guy :)
God I can only imagine. Beautiful ram in your pic by the way

Zac

WKR
It shouldn’t have worried you at all. At least not from what I’ve said about it. I’ve never mentioned it didn’t tune. I have multiple visuals and proof at the beginning of this thread showing that it actually tuned very easily for me. I didn’t even touch the shims. I moved centershot 1/16 and had bs out to 50 and bh to 90. That’s not my gripe. It’s the housing and cables in my sight picture that I have issues with. Nothing else really. Not everybody is going to have the same experience with these bows so it’s nothing to be getting worked up over
Where is your center shot exactly? Mine started getting real cramped at about 3/4.

eltaco

WKR

Do you have the ability to swap shims at all, or have a shop nearby that can do it for you?

You can certainly alter the spacing on your cams to push that center shot out away from the riser. If you’re saying the bow holds, shoots, and tunes well, and your only complaint is the placement of your sight housing... that is truthfully easily resolvable. If you’re near Kansas City, you can swing over and I’ll do it for you in a couple of minutes while we talk hunting.

The beautiful thing is, once you adjust the shins and bump your center shot out, you’ll never have to mess with it again.

I’ve setup a couple of Ventums and RX5s for myself and a couple of buddies. My longer draw length required a trip to my press, but I’d consider the setup extremely straight forward on these cams.

Hope you find the help you need. This is truthfully a 5minute problem with the proper tools and knowledge.

I want to add this because it’s important after you’ve struggled with the setup for a while to go back to your results. You said above this is more accurate and forgiving than your previous bow. That’s what we’re after, the most accurate weapon in our hands. Let’s fix the tuning item and get you to slapping Nocks so you have the most confident shot experience this Fall when the moment of truth is upon you.

Last edited:
Thanks. I try not to bash things unless it’s totally deserved. If I have a personal issue with the bow I try not to drag it through the mud on video because a lot of people are really happy with it. Btw that’s a awesome buck in your picture there.
Thanks. That was my last one with a recurve, pre shoulder surgery.

I can understand your feelings on the bow. It shoots good, but I miss yokes. I don’t miss how the older hoyts shot an arrow at a snails pace though.

OP
406unltd

406unltd

WKR
Thanks. That was my last one with a recurve, pre shoulder surgery.

I can understand your feelings on the bow. It shoots good, but I miss yokes. I don’t miss how the older hoyts shot an arrow at a snails pace though.
This is the only Hoyt I’ve ever owned so I’m not sure what the speeds would have been for me on older models. This ones fast but at my dl it’s also an aggressive pull. This weekend for shits and giggles I’m gonna drop some poundage on it and see if I can get even better bh flight just to tinker. My 530g are spit out at 288. She’s a fire breather for sure.