Verifier for hunting?

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody use a verifier for hunting? I have glasses for reading and they help a lot for clearing up my pins but I hate shooting with them on, I am thinking about putting in a verifier but am worried about fogging up and being dependable in the mountains, any thoughts on this?

I would try a smaller peep sight first. I know that it is for hunting and you want to let the most light you can through the peep... BUT, I have shot in the rain and cold with clarifiers for 3d and field and it is a hassle. Typically I had the most problem in the mornings. When its raining you are conscious of making sure its clear. But I would always get it wet on wet grass in the mornings. Fortunately foam targets hold still for a long time.

A smaller peep sight will stretch out your depth of focus, hopefully allowing you to see the pin and the target more clearly. Get a specialty archery housing, and some different sized peeps... if that works, you are all set, if it doesn't you will need the housing for the verifier anyway. You could also try pushing your sight further away from your bow slightly too, but most hunting sights don't have that much adjustability.

Joe

Joe

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't unless you know you have perfect weather. Rain will make it nearly impossible to shoot with a verifier or clarifier.

OR Archer

WKR
I would try a smaller peep sight first. I know that it is for hunting and you want to let the most light you can through the peep... BUT, I have shot in the rain and cold with clarifiers for 3d and field and it is a hassle. Typically I had the most problem in the mornings. When its raining you are conscious of making sure its clear. But I would always get it wet on wet grass in the mornings. Fortunately foam targets hold still for a long time.

A smaller peep sight will stretch out your depth of focus, hopefully allowing you to see the pin and the target more clearly. Get a specialty archery housing, and some different sized peeps... if that works, you are all set, if it doesn't you will need the housing for the verifier anyway. You could also try pushing your sight further away from your bow slightly too, but most hunting sights don't have that much adjustability.

Joe

Joe

Solid advice right there. One thing you may want to consider is using a sight with a dovetail mount as well. This will allow you to extend the sight thus changing your focal point which could help your focus on the pins.

OP
miller1

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I will try a smaller peep and see if that helps, my peep now centers on my spot hogg housing perfect though, I have my sight out as far as it will go but it isn't like a dovetail.