Vernal, Ut relocation??

Scrappy

WKR
Anyone familiar with the area, good bad or ugly. Might have a shot at a job in the area. I know Utah isn't the best spot to relocate to for hunting. But If it gets me a job that is much closer to all the good states to hunt seems like a positive step in the right direction.

You've got a double edged sword with Vernal. The town is a real nice place but it's pretty isolated. The hunting in Utah has gone down hill in the last 25 years something fierce and I can't over state that. On the bright side, living in Vernal puts you in a great location as far as excellent hunting areas in Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho.

OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

WKR
You've got a double edged sword with Vernal. The town is a real nice place but it's pretty isolated. The hunting in Utah has gone down hill in the last 25 years something fierce and I can't over state that. On the bright side, living in Vernal puts you in a great location as far as excellent hunting areas in Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho.
Rural areas is a huge plus for the wife and I, so we consider that a win. Vernal is only seven hours away from the place I've been hunting for the last four years. Way better than 22 hours that's for sure.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider

^^^Agreed it is not the “Shangri La” of western towns (at least as far as hunting goes).But it does put you in a kinda cool spot with close access to other states. You also got Dinosaur National Monument which is a cool place to check out—not to mention the Green River in your backyard. Buy a drift boat if you do end up moving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
Urinal is halfway between Steamboat and Alta, we always stopped there for a break on the drive.

joking aside, I’d have no trouble living there, it’s kinda cold in the winter but at least you can drive to Dinosaur and get a Bronto burger.

Depends on how often you need to actually be physically present in Vernal. With the current work from home environment you might be able to negotiate going there less frequently.

In that case you could live outside Grand Junction pretty easily. Otherwise Dinosaur - what a cool address to have. Western CO is 100x better than the rest of the state (and more importantly Utah).

OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

WKR
No telework job. The wife and I have never lived in town so if we could find a spot in the country would having a Colorado address be more tax friendly as well as big game tags?

def90

WKR
Colorado is more anti gun than Utah and likely to get worse over the next two years. Colorado has also become a solid blue state if politics matter to you. Western Corado will also be the epicenter for the newly Denver and Boulder voted/mandated wolf reintroduction.

OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

WKR
Colorado is more anti gun than Utah and likely to get worse over the next two years. Colorado has also become a solid blue state if politics matter to you. Western Corado will also be the epicenter for the newly Denver and Boulder voted/mandated wolf reintroduction.
Exactly why Colorado has never even crossed my mind.

Vernal seems like a decent place to live. I would live there. The Uintas are fantastic! The hunting is ok there after you figure out how to avoid crowds.

I've been in Utah for almost 5 years, and I wouldn't trade CO for Utah, after they've voted to reintroduce wolves.

What you should do, is live between vernal and the state line and spend ALL your free time picking off any migrating CO wolves ;)

If you love fishing Flaming Gorge Reservoir is just to the north; some of the best Lake Trout fishing in the world and huge Kokanee Salmon.

Sbrophy

FNG
I've never been to vernal but have a buddy that lives there and do know there's alot of hound hunters in the area.