Versatile hunting dog?

TSAMP

WKR
Right now there are more great lab litters hitting the ground than ever. Just don’t buy one from a back yard breeder and there is no problem. Wouldn’t be over 1200 dogs at master nationals if labs were getting worse and not better.

This is kind of a Pet Peeve of mine. There is no secret labs and GSP's are probably the most overbred dogs out there. So without doing the searching and being patient so many people end up with backyard bred dogs. I think the same thing when i see (even on here) people that have a male and a female of any breed selling pups...
There are plenty of qualified breeders out there doing their best to further enhance their respective breed. Then you get Joe blow who thinks his dogs are "absolute tanks" and maybe one of its parents have xxx titles and decides to make a buck by selling 1 or 2 litters a year to offset some of his hunting hobbies. You arent doing anybody any favors, while yes the dogs will likely go to a good hunting home, The cycle probably will continue on from there, and id guess whoever your breeder was wouldnt appreciate it one bit.

Rant over. Sorry.

KurtR

WKR
This is kind of a Pet Peeve of mine. There is no secret labs and GSP's are probably the most overbred dogs out there. So without doing the searching and being patient so many people end up with backyard bred dogs. I think the same thing when i see (even on here) people that have a male and a female of any breed selling pups...
There are plenty of qualified breeders out there doing their best to further enhance their respective breed. Then you get Joe blow who thinks his dogs are "absolute tanks" and maybe one of its parents have xxx titles and decides to make a buck by selling 1 or 2 litters a year to offset some of his hunting hobbies. You arent doing anybody any favors, while yes the dogs will likely go to a good hunting home, The cycle probably will continue on from there, and id guess whoever your breeder was wouldnt appreciate it one bit.

Rant over. Sorry.
I could not agree more. A couple guys with females around here have seen my lab hunt and said dang we should breed our dogs. Once i bring up ofa xrays and genetic testing and proper whelping conditions and then everything i would expect them to do with the puppies after they are born they look at me like i am crazy.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
With regard to the prey drive/sharpness, my munsterlander is fine with our two cats in the house and around the yard, no troubles at all. He is also perfectly happy to tangle with any raccoon he can. As he exhibits it, my biggest concern with prey drive is porcupines--don't think they have those in Germany and maybe would ease up on the hardness if they did.

Mosby

WKR
Love my Vizsla but they aren't great in cold weather, thin skinned
My Vizsla's were ok with vests on most days but when it got into the teens or lower they didn't want to get out of the truck. My old Vizsla would tolerate it a bit and then she would run back to the truck when she was done hunting for the day. She was a handful. I lost her in 2020 to cancer and it still bothers me a lot.

I have a GSP at home that is turning out to be a nice hunting dog but it isn't the same. I'm a Vizsla guy.
I pick up my new Vizsla pup on Feb 3rd.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Thank you all for the informational discussion. We have. Lab and a Golden now. The golden is the most “blonde” dog I’ve ever been around. He forgets how to walk sometimes I think. Unfortunately both dogs were brought home by my better half on a whim. When one of these kicks the bucket, I’m picking the next one.

NDGuy

WKR
My Vizsla's were ok with vests on most days but when it got into the teens or lower they didn't want to get out of the truck. My old Vizsla would tolerate it a bit and then she would run back to the truck when she was done hunting for the day. She was a handful. I lost her in 2020 to cancer and it still bothers me a lot.

I have a GSP at home that is turning out to be a nice hunting dog but it isn't the same. I'm a Vizsla guy.
I pick up my new Vizsla pup on Feb 3rd.
I love V's too, very versatile just wanted to emphasize they aren't a do all when weather gets really cold.

Sorry about your pup man, mine will be 7 this May and I don't want that day to ever come.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the informational discussion. We have. Lab and a Golden now. The golden is the most “blonde” dog I’ve ever been around. He forgets how to walk sometimes I think. Unfortunately both dogs were brought home by my better half on a whim. When one of these kicks the bucket, I’m picking the next one.

With golden's especially you get exactly what you pay for. Most of them are just "pets", the field bred golden's are a completely different breed in my opinion. We have friends that have "pet" goldens and they're not on the same planet as mine. Field bred are generally darker, smaller, and have shorter coarse hair that is a little easier to get snag's out of. If you want suggestions I have a couple in MN and western WI that'd I'd recommend.

I will throw 2 votes in on this one.

1- Golden Retriever. I bought Calvin over 11 years ago with no pedigree other than some show lines in his blood. However, the bond we developed during training was overwhelming, and he had more drive than any other dog I hunted with during his time. His desire to please was incredible and he had a motor like no other. He was 100% upland and did not like water (my fault), and is legendary for his dedication to retrieving winged birds. On several occasions he ran down cripples that landed and ran more than a 1/4 mile. Bringing them to hand before collapsing for a quick break. He was the first dog I ever trained, and other than obedience training, I take very little credit for his extraordinary performance. At home he is a huge baby and still thinks he's a lap dog. Amazing around kids and adults of all ages. Unfortunately chronic arhritis ended his hunting career and I had to retire him completely a couple years ago. Now he is living his remaining golden years as a spoiled brat in the house. Its okay though, he earned it. :)

2. Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. I picked up Oscar on August 11, and at 5.5 months we did a club hunt where he tracked/pointed/flushed 5/6 released birds. He struggled with retrieving the aggressive cripples, but he wrestled them all to the ground and held them so I could pick them up. I am incredibly excited about his future. Similar to PP, Griffs are a very low shedding breed as well which is a huge advantage over labs and goldens.

Good luck!

We use coats for the Vizsla when it is below freezing. Ours will hunt down to about 10*F for a while but their feet get cold then.

We are on our 4the one. Both females have hunted very well, retrieving not so much! Males were not as as good. They sure aren’t for everyone be we like ours.

KurtR

WKR
One guy i guided with for pheasants had a Vizsla and i dont know if it was watching the labs retrieve but about half way through the year he turned into a retrieving machine. Hell of a nice dog

ZMax62

FNG
I loved my springer spaniel he was a flushing dog so he worked close not a big runner grate nose. When i got him as a puppy i took him out first time . he was maybe 8 weeks old . I shot a pigeon flying over our cornfield went to shoot a second one missed . I looked down and he had went and picked up the first one and had it in his mouth sitting at my feet . All i could do was chuckle and praise him something about good genetics . WE hunted pheasants grouse quail ducks and geese out of a blind he was my best friend .. Sure miss him

We use coats for the Vizsla when it is below freezing. Ours will hunt down to about 10*F for a while but their feet get cold then.

We are on our 4the one. Both females have hunted very well, retrieving not so much! Males were not as as good. They sure aren’t for everyone be we like ours.
One of my best friends has a 2 year old Vizsla and we hunted in -20 windchill on Sunday morning. He puts a heavy vest/skid plate on her when its cold and she hunted very well for the first few hours. Then I think the cold sapped her and she was done.

If I was splitting time between upland and waterfowl, which I do, then I would have versatile dogs, which I do. Go visit breeders and see their dogs in action before making a decision.

Stay away from english pointers, setters, and braccos if waterfowl is important to you.

Mosby

WKR

My old Vizsla wasn't big on retrieving either. She thought it was beneath her...lol. My new pup has a ton of European blood in him, on the sire side. That was one of the reasons I decided to take a pup out of that specific litter. I had a different Vizsla breeder tell me that in his experience, European Vizslas are much better and are more natural retrievers than US bred, so I decided to take a flyer on a male pup out of the litter. I am getting too old to fetch my own birds. Vizsla's have a unique personality and they aren't for everyone but they make me laugh and things that make me laugh are getting harder to find.

KurtR

WKR
Hunted with a lab for 9 years and this was the first year I didn't let him hunt due to age. Hunted waterfowl and upland pretty hard with him. Great dog. Zero complaints.

I have a 1 year old Gordon Setter now......he's pretty much a dick at home but a gentleman in the field.
Got a picture of your Gordon i got to hunt with one and elegant and smooth in the field is what he made me think of. Beautiful dogs

Mosby

WKR
One of my best friends has a 2 year old Vizsla and we hunted in -20 windchill on Sunday morning. He puts a heavy vest/skid plate on her when its cold and she hunted very well for the first few hours. Then I think the cold sapped her and she was done.
I have a collection of vests from light weight to heavy neoprene. I don't like hunting the dog for long in the neoprene but they are the only option when going out in frigid temps.

Good for you getting out in those temps. Hunting is hard work and most guys don't want to put in the work.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I own and breed Pudelpointers and Wirehaired Pointing Griffons. Relax, I have a legitimate kennel and have all my dogs tested for genetic and other health issues and they’re all registered and tested in NAVHDA. I have owned and hunted with many different breeds of dog and I will say that there are no dogs that do well in zero temp conditions.I live in Wisconsin and we usually end up breaking ice to get out after ducks in late November. I assure you the pudelpointers and Griffs will get out there and swim in the icebergs and fetch ducks. But if it’s truly cold as in zero the dogs are going to really suffer and I don’t bring them into a blind in that unless I have a way to dry them and warm them up. The versatile dogs do very well waterfowl hunting and are more than capable of retrieving marks and or handling. We just don’t see a ton of it because the people who own the versatile breeds typically don’t demand that level of work and therefore dont train for it. The NAVHDA Utility test involves a bunch of water work, marks, blinds, etc. check out the parents of any potential pup and ask the breeder how they do in the water. Look at their test scores etc. good luck.