Versatile hunting dog?

2ski

WKR
Yeah, I place it to the regionality of breeds really. There are only a handful of Griff breeders and bloodlines I would ever consider purchasing. It just takes a few years in a the Griff world to start figuring it out. Some people are happy with slow working plodders and I am not.

I like the NAVHDA system because it is similar to everything I need my dogs to do during a normal hunting season. Although, I think it’s 4 point scoring system is too lenient. I would like to see it based on a 10 point system. It would make reading scores even easier imo.

I have zero experience in field trials. I think I would enjoy getting to witness one because I love good dog work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This 100%

The people that are picky in who the griff breeder is end up with dogs that perform like a grif should. My dog gets mistaken for a gwp all the time, because his coat isn't typical griff. His proportions are so nice that people stop me on the street just to say what a beautiful dog I have. He's long-legged. And then he's got that griff personality.

Okhotnik

WKR
This 100%

The people that are picky in who the griff breeder is end up with dogs that perform like a grif should. My dog gets mistaken for a gwp all the time, because his coat isn't typical griff. His proportions are so nice that people stop me on the street just to say what a beautiful dog I have. He's long-legged. And then he's got that griff personality.
what breeder? I got a male last year from Grouse mountain in Whitefish. He's a big male 73 lbs with long legs. One of the largest I've run across My female is only 52 lbs

ianpadron

WKR
I've got a 5 year old Field Golden and it's hard to imagine a better all around hunting dog. Might as well be a different breed than the English Cream show-line fluffballs.

65 pounds of straight muscle, best nose I've ever seen and super strong swimmer. A lab MIGHT be better in the cold but that's it.

My golden started as a duck dog exclusively his first 3 years, then made the intro to wild quail/phez on a whim and he's legitimately better on them than ducks (and he's retrieved A LOT of ducks)

Much more methodical than my Brittany and easier to keep up with in the thick stuff. We have downed birds in the nastiest cover on the planet and have only lost one rooster the past 2 years, no quail left behind.

Definitely worth looking into a field line golden, you'll never meet an owner of one who won't tell you the same thing I just did, these little red dogs hunt!

ianpadron

WKR
I'll throw a wrench in it and suggest a golden. Mine is a predator in the uplands and duck blind when it's cold out, but has a great off switch when we're at home and turns into a big dope. I would think a lab or a golden would both fit your bill pretty well. I run 30 miles/week with mine all summer to keep him shape, I'll never buy anything else. I would think a drath or a GWP would do ok as well.
Field Goldens are the absolute bomb.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
I have had several bird dogs - labs and britts and hunted behind quite a few breeds. No question a specialized dog will do its thing better than a generalist, but a good (emphasis on good) lab is hard to beat at field and home. That said I am trying to line up a draht for 2024 as a "do it all damned well" dog, including (perhaps especially) blood tracking. I have lost only one animal in my life with bow or rifle, but never again...

The one breed that I have hunted behind that has been consistently disappointing in the griffon. I am sure there are good ones out there but my sweet but useless aussie is a better bet than any I have seen to date. I am skeptical of pudelpointers as well though I want to be wrong.

2ski

WKR
what breeder? I got a male last year from Grouse mountain in Whitefish. He's a big male 73 lbs with long legs. One of the largest I've run across My female is only 52 lbs
Woo that's a big guy. I haven't heard of Grouse Mountain or see a website or Facebook page for them. How did you find them when you were looking?

MT257

WKR
Woo that's a big guy. I haven't heard of Grouse Mountain or see a website or Facebook page for them. How did you find them when you were looking?
I was wondering this as well I've seen this name mentioned on other sights as well but cannot find any information on them.

Okhotnik

WKR
They've been breeding griffs over 20 years. I heard through another breeder. I think this is their last year breeding according the owner a few months ago.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I have had several bird dogs - labs and britts and hunted behind quite a few breeds. No question a specialized dog will do its thing better than a generalist, but a good (emphasis on good) lab is hard to beat at field and home. That said I am trying to line up a draht for 2024 as a "do it all damned well" dog, including (perhaps especially) blood tracking. I have lost only one animal in my life with bow or rifle, but never again...

The one breed that I have hunted behind that has been consistently disappointing in the griffon. I am sure there are good ones out there but my sweet but useless aussie is a better bet than any I have seen to date. I am skeptical of pudelpointers as well though I want to be wrong.
I have a GWP - super similar to a dhrat though that statement can cause all manner of controversy - about as bad as saying "just pulled my first CO elk tag in Unit XX, anyone been there before?". His mom was out of a dhrat program and then reregistered. Super weird story.

Anyway, he's an outstanding dog and a machine in the field. He does want to murder anything with fur or feathers so woah breaking him took some effort. He should be steady enough to put on ducks this fall which is exciting. Some of that is maturity, some of that is those animals just want blood. Tough, billable, lots of personality. Behaves well around the house. Loves people and other dogs. Shed hunting was on the things to work on this summer but life happened and I prioritized his retrieve.

The griffs I've seen are less sharp around game and they are a little smaller. They're fine but I'm not a huge fan.

My cousin has a very nice poodlepointer that is great around the house and hunts very well for not having had any formal training. If they would have exposed him to more birds he probably would have been excellent in the field.

I'd get another GWP or Dhrat without thinking twice - though I prefer the tighter coat.

IMG_0217.jpgIMG_0122.jpg

I train with a lot of drahts. The breeders by me really have bred a nice off switch into their dogs and they have great personalities. Nicest dogs that are 100% killers I have met. It goes without saying their system produces some excellent dogs.

The gwp alliance breeders produce excellent dogs as well. I have never seen versatile dogs that come with the genetics that some of the gwp alliance breeders are producing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckIII

FNG
It can be a pain, but get two dogs. One for ducks, one for upland.

I don't care what anyone says, I've never seen a dog that performs as well as a lab when it comes to duck hunting.
You need to see a Chesapeake then.

ChuckIII

FNG
Sorry, I admittedly haven’t read all the comments, but I would recommend a Deutsche Kurzhaar. If you want a true versatile bird dog.

10 months old.

Attachments

• 911424E2-DA82-4821-BF4E-3D4BE249272D.jpeg
    911424E2-DA82-4821-BF4E-3D4BE249272D.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 18

KurtR

WKR
I agree, overall labs are better, but for waterfowl they don’t hold a candle. Chessies are the undisputed king of waterfowl.
How so. Maybe on an extreme cold day but then not even measurable. If they were that good all the guides that pick up thousands of birds would use them. They would win dog games in the off season. There are some nice ones but the best chessie won’t run with the best labs.