Versatile hunting dog?

I10duck

FNG
I’ve always had labs, and my last one would hunt damn near everything. I love upland, but want a dog that can hunt waterfowl too. I have never had a pointer, but all the guys i pheasant hunt with use them. My big issue is they don’t care about downed birds. What breeds should I look at that can do it all, but especially will find a down bird in thick cover?
Can't recommend a pudelpointer enough.

Yooper25

FNG
I've got a year old draht that naturally loved bringing me stuff. With very little retrieving training she was bringing me deer and antelope bones, half rotten legs, and and birds and rabbits that I shot. She is a very good natural retriever.

I’ve always had labs, and my last one would hunt damn near everything. I love upland, but want a dog that can hunt waterfowl too. I have never had a pointer, but all the guys i pheasant hunt with use them. My big issue is they don’t care about downed birds. What breeds should I look at that can do it all, but especially will find a down bird in thick cover?
Chessie, lab chessie cross, wire hair maybe. Pointers must be taught to fetch. Force fetch is a good practice for any hunting dog. Might be the hardest part of trying,but very important to making a great dog.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt everything we can in Nebraska, from grouse and early Teal at the beginning of September to late season mallards and pheasants in January. I have a wirehair that has been great for everything but late season waterwork. His coat isn't tight enough. Dry he'll hunt as cold as it gets here. He doesn't tolerate the heat as well, so early season we can't plan hunts longer than a couple hours first thing in the morning unless there's some water for him to cool off in. We can hunt the sandhills windmill to windmill for most of the day though, stopping to let him jump in and cool off.

I regularly hunt with a mixture of other dogs in the field, labs, shorthairs, a vizla, and a golden. Trigger will outperform all of them tracking a running bird. His duck search has found birds in flooded vegetation that labs had trouble with, but those labs make him look silly with open water blind retrieves or multiple bird retrieves.

You can find multiple breeds that will hunt various species well. I'd recommend finding a couple breeds that seem like they'd fit the bill, then find a breeder around you that uses thier dogs to hunt the same way you will. That way they will be breeding for the coat confirmation, heat or cold tolerance, and hunting traits that are important to you as well. I've got another wirehair pup coming home in 8 weeks, but had DD and pudelpointers on my list and probably would have been happy with either of those as well.

Gotitbad

FNG
I started with Gwp. Great dog. Switched to DD. Every one of these dogs must go through 2 hunting tests and a coat and conformation test to be allowed to breed. Hard to get one that won’ t hunt. we hunt quail in S. TX. ducks in the bay and timber . Pheasants grouse and P chickens in the dakotas. 20 & 40 hr blood tracks In the river bottom And great dog in the house. Ck out VDD-GN.

MJB

WKR
Awesome dogs. My experience is they wiill hunt/take on ANYTHING (to a fault). "Natural retriever" is not the description I'd choose! Hahaha
I've had 2 out of 5 that will take birds out of a lab's mouth and retrieve to my hand or feet.
Gotta break them from everything that moves or breathes!
But there natural hunting ability is off the charts.

I'll get some pictures up of the newest pup 1yr retrieving machine Zika!
If I don't play catch with her she does a low growl to get my attention...... The toy is at my feet she sits, holds until I release her, super soft mouth...... She pushes back here and there but damn she's one of the best retrievers I've had.
She barks at the TV when a horse, dog or other mammal is in the TV......

I miss Westerns!

TSAMP

WKR
I've had 2 out of 5 that will take birds out of a lab's mouth and retrieve to my hand or feet.
Gotta break them from everything that moves or breathes!
But there natural hunting ability is off the charts.

I'll get some pictures up of the newest pup 1yr retrieving machine Zika!
If I don't play catch with her she does a low growl to get my attention...... The toy is at my feet she sits, holds until I release her, super soft mouth...... She pushes back here and there but damn she's one of the best retrievers I've had.
She barks at the TV when a horse, dog or other mammal is in the TV......

I miss Westerns!
I know a guy who's Jag had its lower jaw ripped off by attempting that very same bird snatch from a chessies mouth. It did get reattached somehow and survived.

Cool little dogs but too much of a Liability for 99 percent of people out there in my opinion.

2ski

WKR
If you want consistent with not a lot of research to picking a breeder go DD, DK or PP. I love my griffon but I did a lot of looking into breeders. I'd think the same with all the other breeds. Labs, weims, vizla, clumber spaniels, bracco italianos, britts, gsp, gwp, Llewellyn setters, gordon setters, english setters, irish setters, goldens, chessies, boykens, cockers, springers, nova Scotia duck tolling dogs, braque d'auvergne, braque du Bourbonnais, cesky fousek, small musterlanders, large musterlanders, and spinones. And if you've never heard of any of these breeds then you really need to pay attention and research breeders. And all of those really are breeds of pointers or flushers. I really want to see a clumber in person. I've seen alot of the others in person.

My concern with DD's, based on zero first hand knowledge just reading everything I can find, is perhaps too much prey drive and what is often referred to as sharpness. I spend a lot of time at my cabin and my field Goldens have free reign while I'm cutting wood or working on a project or whatever. They don't roam so far that they get lost (like my friends Brittanies occasionally do) and I don't have to worry about them catching or killing young turkeys or deer or other wildlife other than an unfortunate occasional bunny or meadow vole. Would that likely be an issue with a DD? Regarding the sharpness, we have other animals in the house and are often hunting with other dogs or walking dogs in suburbs where lots of other dogs may approach on their masters leash. How big an issue are those situations? I don't want to constantly worry about a situation going south and my dog killing a neighbors animal.

I'm leaning on trying a WPG, as I'd like to try a versatile, want something that works typically close (by pointing standards anyway), but can do a decent job of "turning it down" when we aren't hunting. Retrieving and water work are also important. I think I've found a couple good breeders near me in, one down in the Springs and one up in Cheyenne. Anyone with an opinion on my DD concerns, anyone experienced with WPG or with breeder recommendations in my general area....it's greatly appreciated!

Eagle

WKR
As a person that has been involved with NAVHDA for the last couple years and founded a chapter, I'll give my two cents. I own a small munsterlander, researched the breed and breeders and settled on a pairing that had lots of great testing/drive in the lineage and my pup is everything she should be, her only weaknesses are because I'm still a novice trainer. That said, they are hit and miss as a breed, do your homework.

Consistently, the best dogs I've watched work through several training days and tests have been Drahts, and GSP's, but coincidentally, those have also been the dogs with the best trainers I know. Vizlas are known for being hit and miss, more miss than hit. PP's have a good rep overall and while I've only been impressed with a couple I've seen, they seem to be very consistent. WPG's and Weims are the worst of the versatile breeds, that I have seen and been around personally, not sure what the issue is, but I've yet to watch a good WPG or Weim work, so I would avoid them. The Italian breeds are interesting, I've only been around a couple, but they are generally VERY close working dogs and not what I think most folks are after. Britts are great, but water work isn't all that common for the breed, so again, do your homework.

All that said, obviously breeding and lineage go a long way, but at the end of the day, the trainer/handler makes or breaks the dog. Do your research, take time, hunt behind the breeds you are interested in, and ideally, hunt with the breeders/kennels you are looking at purchasing from.

Eagle

WKR
My concern with DD's, based on zero first hand knowledge just reading everything I can find, is perhaps too much prey drive and what is often referred to as sharpness. I spend a lot of time at my cabin and my field Goldens have free reign while I'm cutting wood or working on a project or whatever. They don't roam so far that they get lost (like my friends Brittanies occasionally do) and I don't have to worry about them catching or killing young turkeys or deer or other wildlife other than an unfortunate occasional bunny or meadow vole. Would that likely be an issue with a DD? Regarding the sharpness, we have other animals in the house and are often hunting with other dogs or walking dogs in suburbs where lots of other dogs may approach on their masters leash. How big an issue are those situations? I don't want to constantly worry about a situation going south and my dog killing a neighbors animal.

I'm leaning on trying a WPG, as I'd like to try a versatile, want something that works typically close (by pointing standards anyway), but can do a decent job of "turning it down" when we aren't hunting. Retrieving and water work are also important. I think I've found a couple good breeders near me in, one down in the Springs and one up in Cheyenne. Anyone with an opinion on my DD concerns, anyone experienced with WPG or with breeder recommendations in my general area....it's greatly appreciated!
Avoid the breeders that are close to you, I was looking into the WPG for a while when I lived in Castle Rock, and after visiting the breeders close to you (read Denver area north) I would not trust any of them. Talk with Dale Parker at Jackson Creek Kennels outside of the springs in Peyton, great guy, very experienced NAVHDA Judge, and very helpful. He's a PP guy and has some great dogs, and he can help steer you in the right direction for the what breeds will suit what you are looking for.

Gotitbad

FNG

Gotitbad

FNG
i have had no issues with my DD’s (7) with other dogs or people. While they are good around “their“ cats that they were raised with strays are fair game. I have had them bring home game they have caught.

2ski

WKR

There's a lot of breeders that claim to be good and seem to talk a good story. And I honestly think they believe it. I had a breeder send me a sheet of what she did when the dogs where born to when picked up and it seemed really impressive. But I saw 3 of her dogs last summer and all were shaggy dogs. The 2 tested received prize 1's so they hunted but the whole package wasn't there. There was a breeder in Colorado that had awesome dogs but he moved. And I mean they were great looking dogs. DM some breeders and I'll check them out.

As to the sharpness of DD's, I've heard that GWP are a sharper breed. And alot of that is going to come down to exposure.make sure they see cats as puppies and they'll be good with cats. Once vaccinated get them around some friendly dogs. Exposure exposure exposure. But have this conversation with breeders. Some lines may be more likely to be great with other dogs. You better plan on having at least a half dozen hour long conversations with breeders as you search for one. If a breeder doesn't feel the need to feel you out then move on.

2ski

WKR
As a person that has been involved with NAVHDA for the last couple years and founded a chapter, I'll give my two cents. I own a small munsterlander, researched the breed and breeders and settled on a pairing that had lots of great testing/drive in the lineage and my pup is everything she should be, her only weaknesses are because I'm still a novice trainer. That said, they are hit and miss as a breed, do your homework.

Consistently, the best dogs I've watched work through several training days and tests have been Drahts, and GSP's, but coincidentally, those have also been the dogs with the best trainers I know. Vizlas are known for being hit and miss, more miss than hit. PP's have a good rep overall and while I've only been impressed with a couple I've seen, they seem to be very consistent. WPG's and Weims are the worst of the versatile breeds, that I have seen and been around personally, not sure what the issue is, but I've yet to watch a good WPG or Weim work, so I would avoid them. The Italian breeds are interesting, I've only been around a couple, but they are generally VERY close working dogs and not what I think most folks are after. Britts are great, but water work isn't all that common for the breed, so again, do your homework.
And from what I've seen the SM's haven't been amazing. Run around alot for sure. But I think it's a case of who's breeding good dogs from around where you are. Around you must be some good SM's. And if you want to see a dog run a bit bigger a SM is more for you than a griff. Perspnal preference. And I'll add I don't think a griff is a dog for the OP.

All the griff's I saw tested got prize 1 NA and watched some practice for UT and looked awesome. But only 1 had a coat I would look for. The UT dog. And that's why I say consistent breeds would be DD, DK and PP. But I think with the popularity of PP's that's shifting a little. I saw two run last year and they looked completely different, not just in color but coat. The one was more undercoat then wire coat.

Eagle

WKR
And from what I've seen the SM's haven't been amazing. Run around alot for sure. But I think it's a case of who's breeding good dogs from around where you are. Around you must be some good SM's. And if you want to see a dog run a bit bigger a SM is more for you than a griff. Perspnal preference. And I'll add I don't think a griff is a dog for the OP.

All the griff's I saw tested got prize 1 NA and watched some practice for UT and looked awesome. But only 1 had a coat I would look for. The UT dog. And that's why I say consistent breeds would be DD, DK and PP. But I think with the popularity of PP's that's shifting a little. I saw two run last year and they looked completely different, not just in color but coat. The one was more undercoat then wire coat.
Totally agree on SM's, that's why I said they are hit and miss. I drove 8 hours one way to get my dog, and drove 8 hours one way to hunt with several of the dogs from my dogs direct line before making my decision. I think the reason behind the KM coming in is due to issues with so many SM's not being great, but there are a handful of breeders that are doing good work.

I've heard WPG from the PNW can be great dogs, but that doesn't seem to have translated to the SE/MW part of the country yet. Hopefully it will eventually, they were actually the breed I was initially interested in when I started researching versatile dogs.

TSAMP

WKR
There are alot of breeders out there working toward coat conformity, regardless of breed. However it's almost always last fiddle to ability and drive. You might not like how it looks, but it generally won't affect how they perform. I personally wanted a tight coat and I sought out parents that would maximize my odds of this. So I'm not calling anyone out for considering coats in their decision. But they aren't show dogs, breeding for coat and looks is how many a good dogs were ruined by the AKC and others...

Just a friendly disclaimer for those searching

Russp17

WKR

My experience with navhda for the last couple years is a dd can be more sharp… if there is a dog scuffle at a training day it usually involves a draht… however not all are that way. The guy I hunt with has a draht and his is a wonderful dog… I think exposure is a must as a puppy and maybe try to meet the parents dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk