Versatile mid/outer layer for 40-60 degrees?

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting for eastern turkey in the next couple of weeks, combination of ambush and run & gun. Temps will range from 40-70. Ideally, I'd like a versatile mid layer that stays warm enough sitting at 40 degrees that I can keep wearing into the 50's-60's with light hiking before shedding it.

I don't wear a turkey vest so pocket space is limited, I usually head back to camp after the morning gobbler rush to drop the mid layer and re-up on coffee. I'd prefer to have a mid that won't roast me before then.

I wear a 150g merino base with a fleece and the FL leafy top over it- my current fleece is too hot, even sitting in 40 degrees with a mild breeze. I'm thinking the Kuiu Peleton 97 or Merino 200 or Sitka Midweight T might be the ticket here? What would you guys do here?

If it helps, I use Kuiu Attack pants with 150g merino base for this same use and it has been perfect for what I need- looking for the same level of warmth/breathability up top.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Over my base I use a sitka active hoody and/or a kuiu 240. Either of those two will get you what you are looking for. The active I wear almost all year around as it breathes that well, and the 240 for when its windy or I'm not moving much. They can be combined also to get me to the 30's until I need a puffy. It doesn't get much more versitile than that.

Ramblr

FNG
Have you tried a vest? I used my Kuiu birthday discount to pick up a Kenai vest that I'm trying out next week on my turkey hunt. The Peloton 240 vest might be worth trying too since you are layering it under FL leaf top.

Lowg08

WKR
Have you considered something like a FL klamath. You might also consider a kiln or furnace. I wear FL wick under obsidians and a fuse top under a klamath. I always carry a kenai ultra jacket. It packs up really well and has pit zips

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I love my kuiu Kenai but it's only nock is durability so I got the kutana hybrid jacket, have not hunted it yet but think it should be great for turkey application

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I have often looked at the kutana hybrid but never pulled the trigger

Hans

FNG
Anybody have experience with the kuiu 200 merino tops for this application? I'd like to have a camo top I could use over a lightweight 150 merino t shirt for early season bow hunting and also use as a mid layer later with a puffy and rain jacket when the Temps drop below freezing.

I have a feeling these tops are too warm for 70-80 degree days.

PHo

WKR
I love my peloton 97 zip t. Keeps you real warm but is breathable as well so you can use it in a wide temperature range.

OP
tclipse

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up going with the Kuiu Peloton 200 and it has been just what I needed as a lightish mid layer between the merino base and leafy top. Took it out from 35 to 60 and was comfortable. Started hiking heavy in the 60s and it started to get hot, as pretty much anything other than a base layer would.

I’d recommend to anyone for this use. Blocks enough wind to keep you from freezing, is breathable when it gets warmer, and is comfy. Both sitting and active, I did not get too hot or cold at all until hiking hills/mountains at 60+. After 3 outings this thing has earned a permanent spot in the gear closet.

Lexus423

FNG
Have you tried a vest? I used my Kuiu birthday discount to pick up a Kenai vest that I'm trying out next week on my turkey hunt. The Peloton 240 vest might be worth trying too since you are layering it under FL leaf top.
When did that birthday discount come thru? Mine is a few days out and I haven’t seen anything.

Lowg08

WKR
I added the sawtooth hybrid vest. I also have a generic puffy I bought from 5x3 fishing

2-Stix

WKR
I layer with a Kuiu wool T, wool long sleeve zip T, Stongfleece 210 and then I add a Guide Vest. I can get down to 15 degrees with that combo and drop layers when it warms or add a soft/hard/puff pending wind/rain/snow.