Versatile Mid Season System for elk and whitetail

jfone

FNG
I’m going on a 1st season rifle hunt in Colorado zone 62 in mid October. Temps will likely run 30-70 most of time as we’ll be up around 9000’. I’m looking for a versatile jacket/pant combination which also would translate to whitetail archery woods in Midwest mid season. Needs to be quiet, somewhat weather resistant, and versatile to layer.

I initially settled on the Kuiu Guide DCS and Attack pants, but I’m going to return. The jacket is ok, just not ideal for whitetail archery(short, wide arms, a bit loud). Love the pants but they are ball splitters.

I have a first responder discount for some brands (FL, Kuiu, skre). I Like the FL Foundry Obsidian/Catalyst but worry about durability. I really like Sitka Stratus but the price is crazy. Any suggestions ?? Quiet material and decent level of wind/weather resistant are what I’m seeking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jd1006

WKR
Corrugate Foundry would be a great option. I don’t find it to be noisy.
Jet Stream Jacket from Sitka is a little noisy, but good. The thunderhead Jacket from Sitka might be the ticket for quiet and weatherproof.

You should look at the Peloton 240 hoody from kuiu.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm finding more and more uses for the Kuiu kutana hybrid

Not as durable and weather resistant as a soft shell but better breathing

Not as warm as a puffy but quieter and more durable

Not as light or cheap as a straight fleece but just as warm and more durable with some weather protection

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jbxl20

WKR
I initially settled on the Kuiu Guide DCS and Attack pants, but I’m going to return. The jacket is ok, just not ideal for whitetail archery(short, wide arms, a bit loud). Love the pants but they are ball splitters.

I agree with fit in the crotch area. I didn’t like them at first. Try them on a few hikes with some exofficio or other more secure fitting briefs. I just wore the attack pants 10 days straight in CO and the crotch fit didn’t bother me at all. They were perfect with the side zips. I used the 240 over a merino t shirt. In the mornings or evenings I would put my 240 over my puffy. It was a perfect layering system for me.

quistat

FNG
I also bought Kuiu Guide DCS and Attack pants in my normal size. Both were way too small, and I returned them. I got a Forloh AllClima jacket, it fits great and seems to be built to last. And! It is Made in America!

OP
jfone

jfone

FNG
Thanks for the replies, good stuff

Is the SKRE Hardscrabble material quiet or a little noisy? Would you suggest sizing up in pants or jacket on the Hardscabble?

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies, good stuff

Is the SKRE Hardscrabble material quiet or a little noisy? Would you suggest sizing up in pants or jacket on the Hardscabble?

I ware mine for 6 weeks a year during archery season Dec. 15 to Jan. 31 st. with zero issues. We have used it from 75 degrees to below zero and I see no reason to change anything. I have the 300 gram wool hoodie, kodiak /hardscable pants, jacket, vest and their puffy , hardscrable gloves, glassing mitts in both camo patterns (I gave all my MTN stealth top my son).

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
How does the hardscrabble perform in wind? Don't see any mention of a wind blocking membrane in the description

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

muchach0

Lil-Rokslider
Rab electron for a solid puffy 7.1 oz of fill

utley010

FNG
I used the 240 over a merino t shirt. In the mornings or evenings I would put my 240 over my puffy. It was a perfect layering system for me.
What's your sizing like on the 240 and puffy (Kuiu puffy?)? I'm looking for something like this to quiet down my whitetail layering system.

Jbxl20

WKR
5”9 165. I’m in between medium and large on most pieces.
I wear medium kuiu merino, M FL merino shirts or
large Sitka core lightweight hoody as a base. Then I have a large kuiu 260 and a large kuiu 240. The 260 is tighter more athletic cut and fits nicely under the 240. My puffy is a large Eddie Bauer.

Simon1523

FNG
I’m going on a 1st season rifle hunt in Colorado zone 62 in mid October. Temps will likely run 30-70 most of time as we’ll be up around 9000’. I’m looking for a versatile jacket/pant combination which also would translate to whitetail archery woods in Midwest mid season. Needs to be quiet, somewhat weather resistant, and versatile to layer.

I have a first responder discount for some brands (FL, Kuiu, skre). I Like the FL Foundry Obsidian/Catalyst but worry about durability. I really like Sitka Stratus but the price is crazy. Any suggestions ?? Quiet material and decent level of wind/weather resistant are what I’m seeking.

Any Soft shell jacket and pants with INFIL WINDSTOPPER, I use out west and sitting in Minnesota whitetail stand. I use the UA ridge reaper and price dropped, you can get both jacket and pants for damn near $300 now