Very Poor Tag Strategy

LostArra

WKR
Buying a Wyoming landowner tag! (They are NOT transferable.)

New issue of Wyoming Wildlife magazine describes a multi-year investigation of violations by non-resident hunters filling landowner tags.

Landowner, outfitter and hunters all cited in violations.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
The article I mentioned was in the May 2020 Wyoming Wildlife magazine. I'm not sure if it's the same case.

Edit: different cases. The recent violations took place out of Wheatland.

KHNC

WKR
I wouldn't mind if the law was changed where land owners could sell there tags,. I think it would provide a great incentive for ranchers/farmers to create/leave habitat for wildlife, which I feel would be a net gain for everyone.
IT would end up as a HUGE money racket for ranchers, Just like in NEW MEXICO! Not a good idea unless they are RANCH only tags.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
BuzzH has a good handle on Wyo issues and he mentioned one time that transferable landowner tags would not happen.

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
It just goes to show it’s never enough...
Just the simple honor of the privilege of a land owner tag is a blessing in of its self..
Damn shame

Gila

WKR
It just goes to show it’s never enough...
Just the simple honor of the privilege of a land owner tag is a blessing in of its self..
Damn shame
In New Mexico there is no minimum acres for a landowner tag. Unit wide OTC tags have stipulations but they are lax as well. I think they should pull some of those tags and make them draw tags. The state gutted public Pronghorn hunting last year. I get a free deer tag every year but can't get drawn for it. Go figure. NM has crazy laws anyway. Like the exemption for not paying state income tax is 100 years of age.

Last edited:

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
IT would end up as a HUGE money racket for ranchers, Just like in NEW MEXICO! Not a good idea unless they are RANCH only tags.
Exactly! LO tags should be ranch only IMO. I'd also like to see a lot of those tags pulled back into the public draw. The issue of access to public lands needs to be addressed. When a LO chooses unit wide, they also sign up to allow hunters on their private land. I've seen shady ranchers elect private only and then allow their private only tags to be hunted on public land. It's not supposed to work this way, and is very hard to catch and enforce. Even after a rancher was caught doing this a few years ago (NM Game and Fish kicked the hunters out and made them pack up), the rancher still got a bunch of LO tags the following year. The penalty seems to have been minor if any.

Yea unit wide landowner tags in NM is a thorn in my side for sure.
Me too!

Had no idea Wyoming private tags are not transferable, that's great!

BuzzH

WKR
Glad to hear the people abusing the LO tags in WY and violating the law getting slapped.

As to the LO tag program in Wyoming, I think its a good program for the most part. The reason I support it, is a couple fold.

1. The LO tags are only transferable to immediate family.
2. The landowners in Wyoming are very tolerant and supportive of wildlife for the most part.

Unlike many other states, most Wyoming landowners not only support wildlife on their property but encourage wildlife to remain there. There are also landowners that enroll their private property in the WIA/HMA program and there is some very good to great hunting on some of those properties. Unlike MT's BMP, the GF handles all the permission slips, drawings for permission slips etc.

Because of these reasons, and because animals are transient and use different LO's property at different times of the year, I would oppose limiting landowner tags to the specific LO's land. For example, if it keeps a landowner happy that winters a few hundred elk, deer, or pronghorn on their property, to give them a unit wide tag...that's a no brainer, IMO.

Where I part company with LO tags is when they become transferable to anyone and simply sold to outfitters or the highest bidder. That changes everything. The landowners in Wyoming know its probably best to not push the issue as Wyoming Sportsmen, and many of the landowners as well, would fight fully transferable LO tags with gusto...

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
I'm going to hijack my own thread but I should probably start another.

Anyone who hunts Wyoming or is considering it should be subscribed to the Wyoming Wildlife Magazine. Great articles and photos of hunting and fishing throughout the state.

Huge bargain at $12.95 per year.
Besides the landowner tag article, the most recent issue has an article about a 12 year old from Louisiana who won the elk Super Tag raffle (his grandmother bought his ticket), a guy who has caught at least one fish each month for 20 years and the history of the Lacey Act. Really a nice magazine at a time when magazines are a dying art.

Last edited: