Vest question (probably been covered but I can't find it)

If this has already been discussed, please kindly link me and I will be happy to read the existing discussion...

Getting ready for a 1st rifle in CO. I am typically very warm, especially while at all active, so my expected standard setup for hiking around during the day will be a 200g merino base with a Kuiu axis softshell. I think that combo will keep me warm into the 20s while active without significant wind. I have a Kenai jacket for stationary glassing periods, but don't expect I will ever be wearing it while on the move as I will bake.

My question is, I am looking to also bring a vest, for the early morning hike in, the late evening hike out, or if it temps are way below "normal" I could potentially be hiking around in it for periods. Also, if it is really cold I could use it in addition to the Kenai for stationary periods glassing.

Given that description, should I be looking at a simple fleece vest, or a puffier down-type vest? Kuiu peloton, Kuiu kenai, FL uncompahgre were all obvious potential ones, but I am also looking to maybe just score a cheap deal on something from sierra.com as this will never be used as outerwear while hunting, so something that could also get casual use would be a bonus.

Any help or guidance on the difference/utility of the vests mentioned above or in general is appreciated. Both of the Kuiu vests are the same weight (8.4oz), and the FL vest is almost 5oz heavier (13). I don't care about the weight difference, but does the extra weight make the FL warmer? Both Kuiu vests weighing the same has me confused.

Thank you.

mlgc20

WKR
You and I have a similar setup. I have a Sitka core lightweight 1/4 zip and a Kuiu shell. I don't think you really need a vest in addition to what you already have. If you're taking the Kenai, I think you will be covered. I have the Kuiu Super Down Pro, which is just the down version of your Kenai. I also have a Sitka Stratus vest. It's a fleece type vest with Windstopper. For 1st rifle in Colorado last year, I took the Sitka vest and left the Down Pro in the truck. But, if I were going to bring the Down Pro, I would leave the vest in the truck. For me, they are an either/or. On the other hand, nothing wrong with some insurance for 8.4 ounces seems reasonable.

I agree with mlgc20, I don't see a vest fitting nicely into your current sytem.

Down is not going to be your friend when hiking, you will overheat on the move, and as a stationary warming layer, a down jacket is superior in every way to a down vest. Fleece is warm but heavy, worthless when wet, and also going to make you overheat.

I would be looking at a lighter synthetic vest. Personally after much trial and error, I've settled on the Sitka Jetstream (for now) as my lightweight, stop-and-go vest. Works great for still-hunting and provides some additional core warmth under a jacket, so I think it would work well for you.

Check out the OR tradecraft vest. I got mine on sale 50% off (I wouldn't pay full price for it). It's a very nice vest.

2rocky

WKR
I am a fan of vests. I actually wear a Filson Wool/cotton duck vest with a wool or synthetic blend shirt over a merino or synthetic base layer in Late September elk hunts. If I was doing the Athletic hunting wear brand names, the Mountain vest from Sitka or Peloton from Kuiu would be on my list. Mainly for wind stopping. If it gets hot...You are gonna be down to to your shirt and then that afternoon breeze is gonna come along and chill you. When the temp is swinging between 40 and 60 that vest is about right. That is much of the year here along the CA Coast...