Vest Recommendations

Trial153

WKR
How breathable is the jet stream while hiking?

more then a puffy vest and less than cheap fleece vest that wind will blow through. It’s a good compromise because it functions better than either of the above as outerwear. The Jetstream vest over core light weight or core heavy weight has taken me though a wide range of temps and activities. Full disclosure I tend to run fairly hot.

OP
Radosilver
more then a puffy vest and less than cheap fleece vest that wind will blow through. It’s a good compromise because it functions better than either of the above as outerwear. The Jetstream vest over core light weight or core heavy weight has taken me though a wide range of temps and activities. Full disclosure I tend to run fairly hot.
Thanks. I tend to run hot as well. I almost pulled the trigger on a puffy vest before I posted this but I was little concerned that it would overheat me too much.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I’m not opposed to a puffy vest actually. But my main concerns are that it be quiet and not so thick that it makes things too bulky when I add layers over top late in the season. So I guess that probably narrows the options a bit in the puffy style. I’ll definitely check out the jet stream based on the recommendations here. Seems like there are a lot of good options out there.

If you’re looking for a quiet puffy vest, the kuiu kenai is about as quiet as a puffy gets. It’s also as breathable as puffy insulation gets.

And this is coming from a guy who isn’t a kuiu fan. But I will admit some of their pieces are absolutely fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWoods

WKR
Thanks for the wool suggestions. I like wool overall. I’m just a little nervous about the durability factor. I wore a pair of First Lite’s merino pants last year. Loved them. Most comfortable and quiet hunting pants I’ve used. Comfortable in a huge range of temps. But I ripped them up pretty bad in just one year of use. It’s made me a little gun shy on wool for anything that will be used at times as an outer layer.

The heavy ~26oz wool is a very different animal than the knit merino (which is more of a heavy t-shirt/sock material). Guys around here hunt hard in wool jackets and they will outlast most of your other gear. I know people wearing wool coats that are decades old.

KRoch

FNG
I love my Kuiu 240 peloton vest and hooded jacket super quiet and warm and breathable when on the move. I run hot just a highly breathable base layer when I’m on the move and always carry some puffy gear in the pack. I added the vest this year for a super quiet and breathable piece for when the temps get around freezing temps and it works great the material is soft and quiet it will loose its new look it if gets pounded through the bush but I have had my peloton 240 jacket for 3 seasons now it is wearing great. If you are a vest guy I would not hesitate to grab one of these.

I have MidwayUSA Men's Elk Fork Vest that I use for the exact purpose as yours. It is filled with 200 gms Primaloft black. Really nice vest for the money. I think I paid about $40 on sale. The zipper is kind of small but so far over 2 years its been great.