Vest vs backpack

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I have spent a few days out looking for chukar, and have been using a pheasant vest. Based on how my back feels today, it’s time to change it up. I don’t really understand why upland guys swear by using a vest over a backpack. My scouting backpack has the little pockets on the hip belt that I can keep extra shells in, which seems like the main limiting factor with a backpack. As a new guy to upland, what am I missing with vest vs backpack??

Carr5vols

WKR
I have done the same thing for turkey hunting. I also run my bino harness without binos for quick access to calls.

Shadow14

WKR
The cheap upland vests suck for long distances or hours. HuntRedi, final rise, and Pyke gear vests are the best in the business. Its like going for an elk hunt with a jansport backpack vs a kifaru/stone glacier/mystery ranch ect. They have support for those long days on the high desert or prairie. You will also be paying a premium but like with quality packs, you get what you pay for.

OP
jblam

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
The cheap upland vests suck for long distances or hours. HuntRedi, final rise, and Pyke gear vests are the best in the business. Its like going for an elk hunt with a jansport backpack vs a kifaru/stone glacier/mystery ranch ect. They have support for those long days on the high desert or prairie. You will also be paying a premium but like with quality packs, you get what you pay for.
Yep I hear you. My main question is why everyone uses a vest instead of a backpack, because I would love to save the $300 and spend it on...well probably more hunting gear I don’t actually need!

I like the badlands vest that doubles as a backpack! Maybe nobody wants to carry too much so they limit themselves.

It all depends on your style of hunting. My buddy said he wouldn’t take a vest or pack turkey hunting because he would always stuff it with stuff he didn’t need. If it didn’t fit in his pockets he left it behind. I put a lot of miles on bird hunting each year. I had a vest without hip support for a long while. I would use my pack when we did some serious miles and packing a lunch. It works great. I did recently purchase a final rise vest and I can tell you the pack will be left behind and this vest is a great middle ground. It’s comfortable, lite and hauls some serious weight and stays comfortable. Is it worth $300 to me.... yup.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
In the midwest, a huge percentage of upland hunting is done less than a mile from the truck. I will spend a few hours pheasant hunting a 40 acre piece, then to the truck, and on to the next parcel. All I need with me is some water for me and my dog, a small first aid kit, some extra shells, and maybe an extra layer.

Like previously mentioned it comes down to he type of hunt. When I'm hunting walk in access fields a vest is preferred because I'm in and out of the truck all day. I can keep it on during the drives from property to property. When I hunt national forests or refuges, when I'm gonna be away from the truck for several hours/miles, I prefer a pack. I switch between my Orvis sling pack and my Kuiu 1800. Next year I'm going to spend the money on a solid dedicated system like the Badlands, Tenzing, Hunt Redi, WW etc. The sling pack leaves pressure points on the shoulder after a long day hiking.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I ditched the filson vest years ago and haven’t looked back. I’ve been running a Kifaru Scout with the Omni waistbelt for about five years and absolutely love it. Lots of support for carrying weight (Two 70oz water bladders) and it has tons of webbing (Molle?) for accessory options to keep gear accessible and organized on the outside of the pack. I would highly recommend checking it out or something similar.

I don't like thick backpack straps to shoulder the shotgun butt against. That is the largest drawback to using your Kifaru, etc.

I like strap vests, and my wife sews thin rubber on the seat-belt type straps where the butt-plate lands. Helps stabilize a slippery butt plate or the checkered wood one on my AYA SxS. The strap vest has a decent waist belt you can tighten up to put some of the load on the hips, especially if packing a few pheasants.

I do own a full upland vest, but find it warm and "sloppy" versus the strap vest. Only sees use during really cold weather.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I've always had a traditional vest, never loved it for long hunts, and the thing was falling apart, so I needed something new. Someone posted a badlands code for 50% off here a few months ago, so I grabbed one of thier vests. At $100, it's a no brainer, the thing has worked great. Is it worth full price? Not sure yet, but I'm leaning towards yes. It's more of a backpack with a bird pouch. Seems durable so far, but time will tell. The most I've had in it at one time was 2L of water in a bladder, 3 roosters, and 2 quail. It carried that load fine.
20201101_085626.jpg

Tex68w

WKR
It's a strap vest for me, I've been running the Wing Works for 6-7 years now. The Final Rise is extremely similar and seems to have a better business model and customer service but they weren't around back when I bought the Wing Works. Packs make little sense for upland IMHO, save that for humping big miles in a day and/or for when you need to carry food and shelter. Like another member said, we are bird hunting, not big game stalk hunting. I learned really quickly in the Army to carry only the essentials in order to lighten my load, ounces equal pounds.

bm03lnn.jpg

Nate Abe

FNG
Another benefit to a vest is quickly stashing dead birds. Stashing them quickly allows you to keep an eye on the covey for the next opportunity. You will be surprised how fast a covey can just vanish if your picking up each bird and trying to stash it in a pack.

Forks

FNG
If your future is partridge, your back has already told you what to purchase. Water, food, electronics, dog/human repair kit and the ability to carry clothing are most important the further I get from the truck. If you feel the need to pack lots of shells......maybe spend more time at the range and don't stuff as many in the scatter gun while hunting.