Vest wearers - if you only had one, what would it be?

So while in Montana this past November there was a lot of times during the “heat” of the day where I look back and thought about how nice having a vest would’ve been.

Thing is - I’ve never been a vest wearer. I’m gonna give it a shot, but I don’t want to buy something that’s gonna sit in the closet if I can help it. I’d like to buy something versatile enough that it gets used, and if I decide I like vests in general I could pick up another more “specialized” vest at a later date.

If you only had one style of vest(insulated, soft shell, fleece), which one would it be and why?

Thanks!

KHNC

WKR
I have multiple versions. The one i use the most is a Browning Down Puffy vest. Seems like it a great option over a merino LS or under heavier layers when its really cold.

So while in Montana this past November there was a lot of times during the “heat” of the day where I look back and thought about how nice having a vest would’ve been.

Thing is - I’ve never been a vest wearer. I’m gonna give it a shot, but I don’t want to buy something that’s gonna sit in the closet if I can help it. I’d like to buy something versatile enough that it gets used, and if I decide I like vests in general I could pick up another more “specialized” vest at a later date.

If you only had one style of vest(insulated, soft shell, fleece), which one would it be and why?

Thanks!
First lite sawtooth hybrid vest is my favorite vest… I have not found a close second for my needs.

It’s silent, doesn’t get stinky, easy to maintain (throw it in the washer and dryer with everything else) and is just the right amount of warmth for a vest.

Most mornings archery elk hunting, I wear a fairly light merino long sleeve (the asat merino hoodie is my favorite) and my sawtooth vest and I’m comfortable into the 30’s since I’m active, then about 9:30-10:00 when it warms up I shed my vest

Later season hunts I always wear that vest. My current one is pretty shredded, mostly from wearing it thin from my pack waist belt, but it’s lasted a couple years of very hard use

If you have the means to charge go with Ororo electric vest. Youll thank me later.

SWAZI paragon...I hunt, fish, work, and wear it to the office daily. First Lite sawtooth is a close 2nd..

I really like my Jetstream vest. One of the biggest reasons I get cold is from the wind and I dont overheat wearing it while walking around. Seems to work pretty well for me.

MrRogers

FNG
I used the Cabela's puffy best for several years, but it was a bit noisy for bow hunting. Going to be trying the First Lite sawtooth this season.

Ramblr

FNG
You asked about types: insulated, soft shell, or fleece.

If I could have only one, I would go with an "active insulation" vest. (I have the Kuiu Kenai.)

It's light to pack, I can wear it over baselayers and mid-layers when moving, and it is slim enough that is fits under a soft shell or puffy if I want extra warmth when it's cold. It goes with me everywhere.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I use the drake wind proof layering vest. One of the best pieces I have. I like it so much I bought a 2nd used from ebay.

I really like my Jetstream vest. One of the biggest reasons I get cold is from the wind and I dont overheat wearing it while walking around. Seems to work pretty well for me.
Ditto. Mine is solid color and and I wear it almost every day from Oct to March. Hunting, working on the farm, or sitting in my office.

I don’t wear vests a lot, but when I do I like my
fl corrugate. It’s comfortable warm and light and when things warm up I don’t feel like I have to get it off immediately.

So far my favorite soft shell style vest has been the Cabelas wind shear soft shell vest. I have had a ton of name brand vests, including the Sitka jet stream, and this vest is as good as those, just for half the price and has a brushed fleece exterior so it’s super quiet and windproof. Works amazing over an active layer. Bought mine used for $40.

My one vest is an insulated Kings Camo XKG Thermolite Transition. Fairly cheap and kind of light. Just the right amount of extra insulation to keep in the pack for spring turkey as well as mid to late September. It’s 2 ounces lighter than my insulated “puffy” jacket. Come late September through October the vest stays home and the jacket comes with. I wish I could do down but I’m allergic so I take a weight penalty on all of my lofting insulation.