Vibram 5 Finger Shoes

winnow

FNG
I'm just curious if there's anyone else who goes off trail in a pair of five finger shoes. It seems rather unconventional but I like it.

Pros:
  • Relatively cheap
  • Light weight
  • Small form factor
  • Breathable

Cons:

• Low riser allows debris in
  • Not water resistant
  • Must step with caution

I did the Bartram Trail in GA, NC, and SC in a pair back 10 years or so ago.

But I’m off in the head. It was a weeklong hiking trip. Dropped off at one end and wife met us a week later in SC (had three nephews with me).

ahlgringo

WKR
Yeah, I ran a couple races in them (adventure type 30-40 milers) Never again- I hate em now. I need much more ankle support off trail.

I know a guy who hunts in them exclusively, but they aren’t for me… I hate stuff between my toes.. tried a pair on and couldn’t do it.

I like minimal footwear to hunt in, but that right compromise for me is something like the zamberlan salathe gtx, still a very flexible shoe you can feel the ground in, but keep dry feet in morning dew or rain, and still enough traction to make it up some steep slippery stuff.

I can’t imagine going through blackberries in 5 fingers, or even stepping on a branch with a little broken sharp branch sticking up (had one of those go through a boot and luckily went between my toes with a heavy load of elk meat on my back)

I could see using them in more desert like terrain (minus cactus) but where I do the majority of my hunting, they wouldn’t be a good option even if I didn’t hate the feel of them.

Like I said though, I know a guy who swears by them, and he does well in them… they aren’t for me. Walking miles on gravel logging roads seems like it would suck too, especially with 80 or 100# on your back with sharp 2” gravel

I think they're VERY comfortable.. Hiking in them was a poor life choice though. All the rocks literally bruised up my feet from walking and lack of squish

I do wear minimalist zero drop boots and shoes exclusively, but I've never tried the 5 finger ones or felt the urge lol

Vandal 44

WKR
I hunted in them one season, the pack in was not bad. After a couple days my feet and ankles started to get beat up. The real suck fest started when killed an elk and had to pack it out. It took a week or two before they started feeling better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A few years ago…..like 10 (holy shit) I did the whole 5 fingers thing. Slowly started using them, built up etc etc. ended up using them for running, lifting and hiking. Did that for a few years then just sort of got out of it.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve tried them on but never bought them. I’ll stick to my Merrell Trail Gloves. Last couple years I’ve hunted in Belleville Mini-mils for elk season (which are like a cross between an old school jungle boot and a Merrell Trail Glove) and a pair of Lems when I need some goretex. I believe I’m going to try the new VivoBarefoot hiker this year though.
One thing I will say, toe socks are the sh!t. I got a couple pair on clearance at Sierra Trading Post and they are the most comfortable sock I’ve ever worn. They are weird at first and take a minute to put on and make sure each toe is in the right spot. But man once they are on properly, it’s amazing how much more comfortable than traditional socks, they are.

I hunted in them one season, the pack in was not bad. After a couple days my feet and ankles started to get beat up. The real suck fest started when killed an elk and had to pack it out. It took a week or two before they started feeling better

😆 man if I came across a kill and saw a set of 5 Finger tracks leaving, id post a solute to the hard sob that left those tracks.

I've thought about them for some training and maybe a stocking shoe, but no way full time.
I'm way to soft.