Victory VAP decision time (need some help)

4IDARCHER

WKR
So I have been shooting the Victory VAP 350 for a while now, taking a great buck and huge hog with one while using the Stainless inserts/outserts. I am looking to pick up some more now and have to decide on if I want to continue using the stainless inserts or to switch to the lighter aluminum inserts. I will definitely keep my current arrows for Africa and moose, and elk, but for deer I think the lighter arrow might benefit me. My current VAP’s are 422gr and shoot at 287fps with a 19.89% FOC. If I switch up to the lighter aluminum inserts/outserts that weight 43gr (compared to the 93gr of the stainless steel) my arrow weight will drop to 372 if I add a wrap to the back of the arrow and 362 if not. Now I would normally not hunt with that light of an arrow, but the FOC is still around 14.65 and my arrow speed should jump up to 310fps or so. With the penetration benefits of the VAP (the ultra slim diameter, the new ICE coating and the higher than normal FOC) I am wondering if I could get away with a slightly lighter arrow, or would I even notice the benefits of going from 287fps to 310fps and should stay with the heavier arrow weight to soak up vibration from the bow and to increase flight stability with the arrow. Anyone want to weigh in on the decision? Could use some experienced advice

weaver

WKR
I dont think youll notice the increase in speed. Personally i would just keep shooting the heavier arrow.

J-Daddy

WKR
The aluminum's are crap...I know when Harvest Time did the HT-1 shafts "same as VAPs" I bent a dozen of them shooting them into a bag target.

R

rebecca francis

I love my VAP arrows! I have an article that will be posted soon with results from a lot of testing we did.

ElkNut1

WKR
I look forward to this review, please let us know where it is posted if it's not here! Thanks!

ElkNut1

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
Holly cow, I didn't know that they offered the steel insert in 43grains. I will have to call them about this. This is just what I would want for sure! I thought the steel was only in the 93 grains.

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
Just got an email back from Victory, the 43grainers are Aluminium. They said they could not hit the 43grain weigth with steel. Looks like I will be keeping the stainless steel inserts for now.

Have you looked at using an Easton Deep Six HIT insert??? I know the VAPs are super skinny and with this new Easton Injexion arrow that insert might fit in it where the AXIS HIT wouldn't. Just a thought.

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
I don't know about using the Deep Six insert in the VAP, but I do know some guys are using the stainless insert in the injection arrows to give them more choices on broadheads (don't have to use one of the broadheads that fit the deep six insert) but with the weight of the injections compared to the VAP, your overall arrow weight would be higher.