Video-How To Elk Hunt Dark Timber!

ElkNut1

WKR
I see there are a few threads these days with archery elk season coming up on How To Hunt Dark Timber!

This happens to be one of my favorite ways to hunt elk. It doesn't matter how vocal bulls are or not. One thing for sure is you will not catch me Not Calling (Bugling) to locate bulls. Yes, 100% I will be bugling to find out where they're at no matter if it's early season or 3rd week, it doesn't matter. Hunting the dark thick stuff means you must find them before they find/see you. Calling (Bugling) is the key here so they give their positions away.

I do not recommend cow calling & walking along in this thick stuff as a bowhunter, why, in most cases elk do not sound off (if they do that's another tactic) to cow calls but instead if they are around & you're moving towards them they are now looking for you, Not Good! If cow calling is your thing you best setup for best results & let elk come to you not the other way around as your odds in seeing them 1st are very low.

Check out this video clip, it's early season & these guys have gotten bulls to respond to their calling in an OTC unit. This is exactly what I do year after year on OTC elk hunts. I use this the whole month of Sept.

Incidentally, I have 2 clips on the ElkNut Mobile App on a few ways to use this sequence depending on terrain!

ElkNut

I see there are a few threads these days with archery elk season coming up on How To Hunt Dark Timber!

This happens to be one of my favorite ways to hunt elk. It doesn't matter how vocal bulls are or not. One thing for sure is you will not catch me Not Calling (Bugling) to locate bulls. Yes, 100% I will be bugling to find out where they're at no matter if it's early season or 3rd week, it doesn't matter. Hunting the dark thick stuff means you must find them before they find/see you. Calling (Bugling) is the key here so they give their positions away.

I do not recommend cow calling & walking along in this thick stuff as a bowhunter, why, in most cases elk do not sound off (if they do that's another tactic) to cow calls but instead if they are around & you're moving towards them they are now looking for you, Not Good! If cow calling is your thing you best setup for best results & let elk come to you not the other way around as your odds in seeing them 1st are very low.

Check out this video clip, it's early season & these guys have gotten bulls to respond to their calling in an OTC unit. This is exactly what I do year after year on OTC elk hunts. I use this the whole month of Sept.

Incidentally, I have 2 clips on the ElkNut Mobile App on a few ways to use this sequence depending on terrain!

ElkNut
It doesn’t get any better than that! Again, thanks Paul for your enthusiasm and endless support of your fellow elk hunters! This was a blast to watch!

Read1t48

WKR
Great video!! I’m pumped for the season.
Last year, my advertising sequence on opening day in late August, heavy timber, brought in three bulls. One of them literally ran over the ridge on a dead run and stopped within 20 yards of me. By then, I was 30 minutes into the sequence. I let the sequence start really slow and lazy. Just like an early season bull feeling his oats. Light bugles, wines, little groans and sounds that you don’t typically hear people make in the woods. Just like you say, Paul. After the first one ran across the ridge, within five minutes two more showed up walking straight down the draw. It was unbelievable. I didn’t fill my tag that morning and I’m glad I didn’t. I learned a bunch in the days and weeks that followed. I did fill my tag on September 19. I hunted solo all season and felt like I was on an exponential learning curve hunting alone but it was so rewarding.
Elk hunting with a bow is the life!

Paul - I appreciate all the time you spend and invest Into teaching other hunters. You make it exciting and Your enthusiasm is contagious. That’s exactly how it supposed to be especially if the next generation and the one after it are going to be passionate hunters. There’s no better way to ensure good conservation and the future of elk. Good luck this season!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
That's awesome sir! Thank you for that feedback!

I've experienced the same results & so have lots of other hunters, that Advertising Sequence flat kicks butt early, mid or end of Sept & into Oct. Thanks!

ElkNut

4fe6bcdefe70632a06715b1938cedf7b.jpg

Can’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Sorry guys, not sure what happened there!

It was a video on hunters using the Advertising Sequence from the ElkNut App. They were successful on a very nice bull as the video showed.

P.S. There is now a 2nd Video highlighting that Sequence & how & when to use it. It works great in dark or thick timbered areas. We've had lots of success with it on our OTC elk hunts. Thanks!

ElkNut

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes. It was sent to me months ago by the guys that filmed their hunt. Nothing I was aware of said it was private so am in limbo there. They were showing me the Advertising Sequence in action. I thought it was well done & very cool. I noticed several threads on Dark Timber hunting & what to do so I shared this Sequence that has worked for many elk hunters over the years. It was just a sequence to consider, not a big deal. Thanks!

ElkNut

Marble

WKR
Yes. It was sent to me months ago by the guys that filmed their hunt. Nothing I was aware of said it was private so am in limbo there. They were showing me the Advertising Sequence in action. I thought it was well done & very cool. I noticed several threads on Dark Timber hunting & what to do so I shared this Sequence that has worked for many elk hunters over the years. It was just a sequence to consider, not a big deal. Thanks!

ElkNut
Well see if you can get it back on here! I have listened and read about this and it has worked, but I would like to see it in action by someone else.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for this Paul. I was in my unit earlier this week scouting and dark timber is where I found elk. Just as you say, I wasn't calling or anything, just walking and looking and walked right up on 4 cows, well within bow range. We all froze and just stared at each other for a while before they continued up the mountain.

I was just thinking the last two days how the heck am I going to hunt in here and be able to find them. It was very hard to traverse in there and be able to go to where the elk are, finding a way to get them to come more to me would be more beneficial

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Paul has an excellent lesson there, even if we can’t see it. We may think we move silently thru thick stuff, but I have jumped enough elk moving silently to know better. Got to make them come to you.

Great tip Paul.