Video Ideas?

I enjoy the vids.. Last night I watched the "Hunt Smart Not Hard" video, it was spot on, especially the part about about "talking yourself off the mountain", this is easy to do with bad planning and false expectations...

Where is this video? I didn't see it in the video section.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
How about videos of your actual hunts. Filtering water, making meals, setting up shelter, glassing for game. You know. Rokslide TV!!!!

How about how to hang your food in camp so Yogi doesn't pay you a visit when you're out hunting or sleeping. I read in Eastman's that one of South Cox hunting trips was interrupted by a bear ripping up his camp and eating his food.

I use a 550 cord and rock to sling over a branch with a north face stuff sack. This worked well up to last year when I had 10 days of food and it got very heavy. The branch also put pitch on the cord and it became hard to pull up.

I looked up a forest service publication and I am going to rig up a little pully for mechanical advantage. I think this is a much better option than a small backpacking bear barrell which no one would take on a Bivy when they are going UL.

I mostly bring SOME freeze dried, mostly dehydrated, but PB, bacon honey and trail mix may still interest the bears.

I think a video on peoples food storage ideas at camp would be worthwhile.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Someone else will need to do that video as I'm the worlds worst when it comes to bear prevention!
How about how to hang your food in camp so Yogi doesn't pay you a visit when you're out hunting or sleeping. I read in Eastman's that one of South Cox hunting trips was interrupted by a bear ripping up his camp and eating his food.

I use a 550 cord and rock to sling over a branch with a north face stuff sack. This worked well up to last year when I had 10 days of food and it got very heavy. The branch also put pitch on the cord and it became hard to pull up.

I looked up a forest service publication and I am going to rig up a little pully for mechanical advantage. I think this is a much better option than a small backpacking bear barrell which no one would take on a Bivy when they are going UL.

I mostly bring SOME freeze dried, mostly dehydrated, but PB, bacon honey and trail mix may still interest the bears.

I think a video on peoples food storage ideas at camp would be worthwhile.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Someone else will need to do that video as I'm the worlds worst when it comes to bear prevention!

As am I. Store and cook food in teh same tent I'm sleeping in. :D If mr. grizz is coming to steal my food, I wanna know about it. :D

Last edited:

stephen b

WKR
I am noticing a common theme that I can relate to. May not be safe- but it is how I roll; guess I am either not that scared or maybe just stupid. Probably a bit of both ;^)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You guys are braver than me. I always hang my food and eat away from my tent when in grizzly country. I put my toothpaste in there too. I have seen some real messes griz have made out of camps here in MT. I'm not quite so careful in griz-free country.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You guys are braver than me. I always hang my food and eat away from my tent when in grizzly country. I put my toothpaste in there too. I have seen some real messes griz have made out of camps here in MT. I'm not quite so careful in griz-free country.

You'd be hard pressed to actually hang anything in most of the grizz country I camp in.

dotman

WKR
You'd be hard pressed to actually hang anything in most of the grizz country I camp in.

Do you use a bear fence? I noticed Billy does in his videos. I'd rather be safe then sorry plus this gear is expensive and I don't want a bear tearing it up.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For drop off base camps I do, especially on Kodiak. But I'm not hauling an extra 2-3 pounds of bear fence for my mountain hunts, I'll roll the dice :D