Video with Nikon P1000 vs cell phone+spotter?

carbon

FNG
Most of the very few posts talking about the Nikon P1000 with it's 125x zoom mainly focus on stills, and not video.

I am interested in filming prairie dog shooting. In the past, I've tried a crappy Carson cell phone holder and a Vortex Razor HD 85mm with less that decent results, with lots of trouble getting things centered and at the right distance from the eyepiece. Not the scope's problem.

This year, I was going to upgrade to the Novagrade double gripper cell holder. Buuuut…

What about that P1000 for prairie dogs at 300-500yds? Remember, I'm not shooting stills. I'm an ex-pro photographer, so I know my way around still cameras, but not video cameras. Reviews of the Nikon remind me of a polaroid SX70 in that both do one thing really well, and both are super fun. In the P1000's case, it seems to do awesome zoomed up videos, whereas the SX70 obviously did instant photos better than anything before or since (although, Lomo).

Looks like it'll record mp4. I want to be able to transfer vids to my iPhone. I'm interested in just reliving the memory, not making a pro YouTube channel. I won't be doing heavy post work, and maybe none at all besides trimming for scene length/cutting out boring stuff.

Please give me your thoughts.

I can't speak to the P1000 but I feel that my P900 does a better job at video at max zoom than it does at stills. I can't compare it to dig scoping because I haven't done any, but I can probably show you come video taken with 83x zoom, I'd be interesting in seeing some real results from the P1000, hopefully someone pipes up.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to comment...but haven't been able to pull the trigger on a P1000 yet. Still oscillating between a big zoom and a big sensor. Oh and I want it to fit in my pocket too. From reading I would think the P900 will give you more video capabilities. If I remember it has 4k vs HD for the P1000. And it's a tad smaller. I doubt over 83x zoom you will be missing much due to heat waves etc... at those distances anyway. Let us know how it goes!