Videoing/Filming

IAHNTR

WKR
What does everyone use to video/film their adventures? I'm in the market for a camera, be it a DSLR or Camcorder, and am curious on what others use. I would like to be able to put a external mic on it for better audio in the woods and to cut down on wind noise.

I would love to start doing more of this to be able to show my kids in the future and to post some videos for you guys. Let me know what you think.

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm hoping I get the go pro hero2 for my birthday here in a couple of weeks. I know a lot of you don't like them but I'm excited about it. Like you, I want to come home after a hunt and show my family what I do in the mountains and then edit it and throw in some music and post it for those who care to see it

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Nikon J1. The video quality is awesome.

I think GoPro cameras are awesome, and would love to have one to supplement the J1, but don't care for it as a primary camera.

Dedicated Camcorders are more or less dead technology with Mirrorless SLRs and video-capable DSLRs.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
That's why I want to stay away from a Camcorder because I feel the same way. What types or things have you videoed with the J1? Would the auto focus be able to focus on a deer working its way in from a treestand? Do you continuously hear the auto focus during video playback?

I use the Nikon J1. The video quality is awesome.

I think GoPro cameras are awesome, and would love to have one to supplement the J1, but don't care for it as a primary camera.

Dedicated Camcorders are more or less dead technology with Mirrorless SLRs and video-capable DSLRs.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That's why I want to stay away from a Camcorder because I feel the same way. What types or things have you videoed with the J1? Would the auto focus be able to focus on a deer working its way in from a treestand? Do you continuously hear the auto focus during video playback?

The autofocus is smart, fast, and completely silent ... as long as you are using 1 Nikkor native lenses. If you are using the FT-1 adapter and standard Nikkor FX/DX lenses, you will HAVE to half-press the shutter while filming to refocus and the lenses are not silent.

The 1 system native lenses are best for video.

All of my moose hunt footage was with the Nikon 1, but of course it was compressed and lost resolution for web viewing.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
BB - What do you think of the Sony NEX series? I've read the 5N is the best out of that line for video.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
All of the NEX cameras are killer in every way, including video. They have full APS-C sized sensors, and all the image quality benefits of a large sensor.

The Nikon 1 has a 1 inch sensor, so is a bit hampered in comparison, but is much better for digiscoping, and also makes standard Nikkor telephotos perform like super-duper telephotos, due to the crop factor.

If I was not into digiscoping, I would have gone with the NEX.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm hoping I get the go pro hero2 for my birthday here in a couple of weeks. I know a lot of you don't like them but I'm excited about it. Like you, I want to come home after a hunt and show my family what I do in the mountains and then edit it and throw in some music and post it for those who care to see it

SJ - get the Hero 3, it's a newer model with a lot of cool features including high frame rates for awesome slow motion and also crazy high resolution 4X normal HD that might be pretty fun to play with. It can also be paired with your smart-phone via blue-tooth to make your phone remote control the camera. I think you could get some incredible footage hunting with it. I might have to splurge and get one to provide a second camera angle. I would not want it as my primary video device, but for a second POV they are awesome!

Coop

NEX-6. For video purposes Sony has some new accessories coming out that will fit on the NEX-6, including an external microphone and an external light source. Should make video just that much better on the NEX.

I just did a trip to Disney World with my family and am extremely happy with the quality of pictures and video I got. I was able to get some great pics even in low light (haunted house, pirates of the caribbean, etc.).

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
Will those accessories fit on other NEX cameras? Is there a website for this?

NEX-6. For video purposes Sony has some new accessories coming out that will fit on the NEX-6, including an external microphone and an external light source. Should make video just that much better on the NEX.

I just did a trip to Disney World with my family and am extremely happy with the quality of pictures and video I got. I was able to get some great pics even in low light (haunted house, pirates of the caribbean, etc.).

For the NEX-3 and NEX-5 there are third party accessories available. I just did a google search and an external mic showed up on Crutchfield that will work with the 3 and 5. Sony probably has stuff too. Those models have been around a while.

I went with the NEX-6 because it has an excellent Electronic View Finder and an upgraded (faster) auto-focus. I find the EVF to be super useful when shooting pics or video in bright sunlight or low light.

The NEX-6 is a little different for accessories. There is no dedicated microphone jack so you have to use the hot shoe on top of the camera. It's so new that Sony is just now coming out with accessories to match it like the external microphone and external lighting. Third party providers will start making stuff for it too...

I know guys love their NEX 3s and 5s but the 6 is worth a look for a little more $. It has most of the same features plus the EVF, a better auto-focus, and excellent manual controls if you think you might start doing stuff like star shots at night or whatever. One more big plus - the 6 comes in a kit with the 16-50mm zoom lens which is very small and light compared to other NEX lenses. Great for backpacking.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cannon XA10 HD video camera is awesome. I shot my latest video with this camera and one GoPro Hero 2. bad ass footage and lightweight, compact for backpack style hunts. The DSLR cameras are badass too, but they require extra lenses, battery life is less than High capacity video batteries, and they are heavier than the XA10.

Check out the video soon, it'll be released this week on our site at http://www.pristineventures.com

Hunting Alaska's Terra Incognita. The Ultimate Wilderness Experience explores the realm of the "experience" as it relates to isolation, land use, hunting and field practices, and perception-based realities of Terra Incognita (hunting no-man's land). 2-disc set (2 hrs 24 min) hunting Dall Sheep, Caribou, and Moose.

larry

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
That NEX 6 does look pretty good CrzyTrekker. I'm kinda liking it.

For the NEX-3 and NEX-5 there are third party accessories available. I just did a google search and an external mic showed up on Crutchfield that will work with the 3 and 5. Sony probably has stuff too. Those models have been around a while.

I went with the NEX-6 because it has an excellent Electronic View Finder and an upgraded (faster) auto-focus. I find the EVF to be super useful when shooting pics or video in bright sunlight or low light.

The NEX-6 is a little different for accessories. There is no dedicated microphone jack so you have to use the hot shoe on top of the camera. It's so new that Sony is just now coming out with accessories to match it like the external microphone and external lighting. Third party providers will start making stuff for it too...

I know guys love their NEX 3s and 5s but the 6 is worth a look for a little more $. It has most of the same features plus the EVF, a better auto-focus, and excellent manual controls if you think you might start doing stuff like star shots at night or whatever. One more big plus - the 6 comes in a kit with the 16-50mm zoom lens which is very small and light compared to other NEX lenses. Great for backpacking.

Last fall I talked to a guy at Campbell Cameras. He told me that a DSLR camera was only good for shooting up to 10 min at a time, then you needed to let it cool down, the sensors I think can't remember for sure. Not sure if that's the case or not. A lot of guys are using DSLR's not to film with. Maybe someone else can verify this info.