Vietnam Tiger Stripe EDC Gun Belt

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
First off, holy cow. I should make a post about all the mistakes I have made, trial and error, and how challenging sewing can be. I wish someone could have forewarned me about a lot of the simple errors that could have been prevented. Then again maybe a simple sewing class would have helped. But hey, I am the type of person who if I need to put a hole in a wall and I don't have the proper tools I am just going to keep bashing my head against it until I either come up with a better method or the hole comes with the process haha.

Now for the belt. I have been wanting to do something with the couple yards I have of Vietnam Tiger Stripe 1000D. Initially my plan was to make some cool wallets. 20 prototypes later I am still unhappy with the design and just can not seem to wrap my head around how I want to make it. Well my belt broke and I figured I would make a new one.

I have a stack of 1.5 inch Cobra buckles so I figured I would give it a shot. Mistake number one. Use a hybrid cobra buckle. The difference with the hybrid is the female end is 1.5 inches and the male end is 1 inch so that you can still fit it through your pants. Mine you have to take the male end off loop through your pants then loop through the male end. Not the end of the world but a convenience thing.

I cut some 1.5 inch nylon webbing and cut the Cordura to size. I was able to get my hands on some military HDPE plastic. I put the HDPE on the inside of the belt and wrapped the cordura around it and sew. Lesson number two. First project should ALWAYS be with not so expensive materials. I learned a lot in this project and in the next couple days will have a MUCH cleaner looking belt.

During the process I learned how I will better hide the Cordura ends among many other tricks.

In the end it is adequate and will get the job done. It is firm enough to easily hold my IWB pistol, Ammo and if I wanted to throw anything else on it no problem. But I want to make something that looks better so I will start again tonight working on a new one.

Anyways here is the belt, ignore the crappy stitching, I also learned that I need to be careful as this is very stiff and a couple times one of the ends would hit something and knock my sweet stitching line I had going.

Also ignore the chalk.

CE6013CF-83FE-4AF0-B8B3-E83CBA6A6110.jpeg

E6488D00-2881-4F6A-B848-EDB1973B5512.jpeg
F3142319-DCA4-4877-A0F9-42ADA79360B3.jpeg

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work, that's a cool project. What machine are you working with? It looks like a Juki?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
So I have 3 machines. HD4411, Juki 2000QI and the pictured, Juki 1541S.

I recently purchased the Juki 1541S for a pretty good price used. The lady used it for about 10 hours she said. It mostly sat for years. I oiled her up really well and basically serviced her. I changed the clutch motor out for a servo.

So I have 3 machines. HD4411, Juki 2000QI and the pictured, Juki 1541S.

I recently purchased the Juki 1541S for a pretty good price used. The lady used it for about 10 hours she said. It mostly sat for years. I oiled her up really well and basically serviced her. I changed the clutch motor out for a servo.
Dang, that's some serious hardware. I'm jealous of the 1541. I was looking for one of those, but I found an 1181n for a decent price instead.

I am looking forward to seeing what you make in the future.

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, that's some serious hardware. I'm jealous of the 1541. I was looking for one of those, but I found an 1181n for a decent price instead.

I am looking forward to seeing what you make in the future.

I was in between getting an 8700H or 1181N when I saw this 1541S used basically new. The 1181N is more than capable really the only thing extra from my understanding of upgrading to the 1541S is a triple compound feed. But you probably know more than me so maybe I am wrong.

It has been a learning experience for sure, the industrial machines feel a little more finicky in some sense than the home machines.

What made me decide to upgrade was most of the materials I wanted to work with were a pain on my Juki 2000QI and I know that at the rate I was going I was going to burn out my motor. The 1541 went through 2 layers of cordura, nylon webbing, and HDPE, no problem.

I appreciate the kind words. I have about 20 things on my list of things I want to make. But the problem is I am still very new so even basic concepts take time for me to wrap my head around. But it has been a blast sewing. I would never have thought in a million years I would enjoy it this much.