View from the tent door

Been doing some wandering around the mountains the last couple weekends. Nice thing about the 24 daylight up in Alaska this time of year is I can take off after work and be above treeline setting up camp at 11 pm with the sun still up.

Anyway, I wasn't technically scouting for sheep, since I have already have my fall hunt planned for a different area, but hey... that doesn't mean I leave my binos at home either. Last saturday morning, I didn't need them though. Stuck my head out the tent door in the morning, and saw this:

Saw a few rams too, but nothing that's going to be legal this year.

View from the high ridge wasn't bad.

Quite a few wolf and bear tracks out there, per usual. This grizz lives in one of the valleys I passed through several times. I've never seen him, but he always makes my Glock feel a bit on the small side.

Yk

OP
Yellowknife
Damn that track makes that G20 look like a sub-compact!

No kidding. Pretty good size for an interior grizz. It's a heavily hunted area, so if he lived to be that old, he's learned to avoid humans. Certainly he avoided me, and looking at the G20 next to his track, I'm glad he did!

You all should have seen the look on that sheeps face when I crawled out of that "rock" in the morning. :)

Uk

crumy

WKR
You and Luke are not helping me subdue my desire to spend money to come hunt in Alaska. It is beautiful

tstowater

WKR
You and Luke are not helping me subdue my desire to spend money to come hunt in Alaska. It is beautiful

Alaska is overrated.:cool: YK and Luke spend weeks and months wandering around to get a few good pics. BTW, ask them about the times that the weather isn't quite as cooperative. I do want to go back and do some more hunting and hope the weather is more cooperative. Next time, bears and moose.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Alaska is overrated.:cool: YK and Luke spend weeks and months wandering around to get a few good pics. BTW, ask them about the times that the weather isn't quite as cooperative. I do want to go back and do some more hunting and hope the weather is more cooperative. Next time, bears and moose.

Yep the bad weather keeps the riff raff out :D

OP
Yellowknife
Alaska is overrated.:cool: YK and Luke spend weeks and months wandering around to get a few good pics. BTW, ask them about the times that the weather isn't quite as cooperative.

I don't know what you are talking about Todd? 9 months of the year, the weather is a little "brisk", but good for caribou hunting...

The other three months, it isn't bad at all!

Sure... come on back! I highly recommend coastal brown bears in the fall for a pleasant outing. :)

OP
Yellowknife
YK was that out of the new BR tent ya bought?? Whatcha think of it?

It was. Have logged six nights in it in the last few weeks. Was pretty much what I was hoping for in a summer bug season tent. LOTS of heavily reinforced stakeout, and guy out points so it seems to handle wind well. Reasonably light. Tight pitch and the fly comes almost to the ground. Good ventilation. Yep, I like it.

Only complaint is that the door in the fly is small. Door in the tent body is plenty big though.

Yk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on YK glad I didn't steer ya wrong....I really like that little tent, especially for the $$$ you paid for it!