viewing trail cam pics way out there

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
any one found a decent way to view trail cam pics while out in the field (rather than bringing home the card)

sometimes i want to see the pics before i decide to move a trailcam rather than hiking all the way back after viewing on home pc.

i've been using my old 20lb laptop, but some of my cams are way up there. i can't figure out a way to look at cards via a tablet or phone.

i did finally took my kids surface pro but it is kind of heavy to.

has any figured out how to view on a iphone or android?

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
any one found a decent way to view trail cam pics while out in the field (rather than bringing home the card)

sometimes i want to see the pics before i decide to move a trailcam rather than hiking all the way back after viewing on home pc.

i've been using my old 20lb laptop, but some of my cams are way up there. i can't figure out a way to look at cards via a tablet or phone.

i did finally took my kids surface pro but it is kind of heavy to.

has any figured out how to view on a iphone or android?

I carry the point and shoot as well, just make sure it works before you try it (some file types won't work in different cameras). Also, I always take a spare SD Card to swap out in case there are 1700 pictures, I just rotate them through.

92xj

WKR
I bought a small tablet off amazon for 70 bucks or so. I believe it's called a dragon touch. But it accepts the microSD cards so all my cameras now run the microSD cards that sit in the adaptors that are the same size as normal SD cards. The table is a 8" screen and fits in a pack easily and weighs next to nothing. I take that deep in with me when I don't have a card to exchange. It allows you to look at thumbnails to scroll through multi thousand pictures without having to look at each single one, if you don't want.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They do make a SD card attachment for your phone. You can use it to view pictures

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
I haven't done it but as mentioned earlier wonder if some of the tablets would work. You would have to make sure you use a MicroSD card though.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
a32e1f1b75a03f924f1ba10ab4e3906c.jpg
something like this

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
hey realucky,, i looked for something like that but i have the double sided port on my iphone 5 and can't find one.

generally, i do have a lot of pics. usually get some wild horses setting it off sometimes i have 4000 pics. but i guess a little camera is not a bad idea.

@92xj ---very interesting. i'm going to check that out. but wait, i have like 40 regular size sd cards, at 13 bucks a pop. if i have to replace them all with micro cards that could be crazy expensive. i guess no good solution but thanks

92xj

WKR
hey realucky,, i looked for something like that but i have the double sided port on my iphone 5 and can't find one.

generally, i do have a lot of pics. usually get some wild horses setting it off sometimes i have 4000 pics. but i guess a little camera is not a bad idea.

@92xj ---very interesting. i'm going to check that out. but wait, i have like 40 regular size sd cards, at 13 bucks a pop. if i have to replace them all with micro cards that could be crazy expensive. i guess no good solution but thanks

Sell the regular size ones to fund the micros. They are pretty cheap. I think I picked up my 8gbs off amazon for around 4-6 bucks. I normally have around 2500-5000 pictures on my cards and that 8 holds them fine.

Or, find a table that has a usb or miniusb port and buy the adaptor. Heck some of the newer tablets might even have regular size SD ports in them, I haven't looked lately. I bought mine 2 years ago.

There's no way to view them on my Iphone 5. Even the Apple Store manager was surprised by that. I'm not sure about the new versions though.

And I didn't really like looking at them in my small point and shoot. It just took too long and was tough to view. I like to hit my cameras at high noon to lesson any impact and I found it really hard to view small pics in those bright conditions.

I've got an Apple gift card I've been saving for an Ipad just to use for field cam pictures.

I saw something online called BoneView. It plugs right into your iPhone. Haven't used it but thought about picking one up. They are on Amazon for 29.95. If it works as advertised might be just what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I can view them on my Samsung with a mini usb to sd card reader. Unlike the iPad you don't need to download them first

Ruskin

WKR
I have an old old black berry that takes a memory card. Small and easy to carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk