Viper Tricks Are In the Mail!

I have never been a slick trick fan, from the little experience I have had with them tracking critters others have shot, but those viper tricks look like a great little head. Tough tip, but also very good head for penetrating.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Not an elk by any means, but last week’s Coues is my first archery kill to reference.

125 Exodus did a pass through through ribs at 94yds out of a 60# bow shooting 255fps with a 450gr total arrow weight. Deer went about 30yds.

I was carrying 125 Magnus Stingers for primary but grabbed an exodus for the distance (Magnus drop a little more past 60yds, probably from the bigger COC head).
I was impressed with the penetration considering distance and setup.

Entrance, and exit.

Attachments

• E6A568EB-5ABC-4DAD-A84E-A8AC013663AE.jpeg
    E6A568EB-5ABC-4DAD-A84E-A8AC013663AE.jpeg
    682.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 5E135F3A-864E-40DB-A208-6752630ACEEB.jpeg
    5E135F3A-864E-40DB-A208-6752630ACEEB.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 39

WVELK

FNG
I'm sure most are in the woods, but I'm wondering what is your experience with blood trails with.
Slick Trick standard 100 grn.
We have already had 2 losses this year and I'm questioning my switch.
Mule deer it was high but should of been top of lung, I saw the hole. Never a single drop of blood. Grid searched for hrs.

My wife lost her 1st Bull, yes it was a bad shot. Thru guts and stuck in back off side leg. Only 6" of arrow showing. 10 yards. She shoots 54 lbs.
Gave him 7 hrs
Tracked him a 1/4 mi before I lost his track.
Again not even 1 single drop of blood.

I've just never had a broadband where I couldn't even find 1 drop.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but that sounds like two bad shots and not a bad broadhead.
I shot my first bull elk of the year a few days ago and it looked like a troll was inside the elk throwing blood out by the bucket load.

Now sure what to tell you other than if you do not have confidence in the head you certainly need to switch. Confidence is of the utmost importance. I shot my bull at 95 yards, but was confident I could make the shot and that if I did the head would kill. Thank God I was right of both counts.

Not an elk by any means, but last week’s Coues is my first archery kill to reference.

125 Exodus did a pass through through ribs at 94yds out of a 60# bow shooting 255fps with a 450gr total arrow weight. Deer went about 30yds.

I was carrying 125 Magnus Stingers for primary but grabbed an exodus for the distance (Magnus drop a little more past 60yds, probably from the bigger COC head).
I was impressed with the penetration considering distance and setup.

Entrance, and exit.

That was an awesome shot at 94 yards! The arrow must have had some serious drop going 255 fps. I’m glad to see the Exodus’s are working well for other people.

I’m carrying 3 100gr QAD Exodus full blades, 3 100gr Rage NC’s, and one Judo for small game/grouse in my Tight Spot 7 arrow quiver. Easton 4mm A/C Injexion 330’s with the 110gr SS/Al Ethics Archery inserts and footers, 4-fletch, wrap, and a Nockturnal. 530.6gr total arrow weight. It’s the first set of arrows I’ve built on my own, so I’m stoked to see how they perform!

The QAD Exodus full blades fly extremely well for me with zero tuning. They also get the deepest penetration of the broadheads I have tested, are extremely sharp out of the box, and have super thick blades and a durable construction. My second choice for fixed blades are Muzzy Trocars. They also have excellent flight, penetration, sharpness, and durability. One of the main qualities I like about the Trocars and Exodus’s is their short ferrule compared to most other heads, which means if they aren’t aligned with the shaft perfectly, they still fly straighter than heads with longer ferrules. That’s not an excuse for having arrows that don’t spin true, just an extra margin of error.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 26
I'm going to test Viper Tricks vs. QAD Exodus.
Whichever is most accurate will be my go to for next season.

Last edited:

MT257

WKR
I've shot both, there's no wrong choice! Both are proven Elk medicine! Both have also flown perfectly but I will admit I'm not very picky!

ElkNut

Not to derail the topic of this post, what were your thoughts on the Iron Wills you used and what made you go back to what your currently using? Price point?

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, price is somewhat a factor but not the final say. It's just that I love those Viper Tricks, it's one of those heads I'm really partial too, not sure exactly why but they are a true performer for me. I have tons of confidence in them & that's great for the mental aspect. The blood trail I had with them was outstanding, one of the best I've seen in years! -- Both heads you mention are excellent elk heads, hard to go wrong with either of them!

If I had to choose one it would be the Tricks! Honestly speaking I don't care for the tiny bleeder blade on IW head. I mentioned it to Bill that they needed to be a bit bigger, at their present stage the bleeders are pretty insignificant but a very well made head.

ElkNut

Sobrbiker

WKR
Since I posted earlier about my Coues, AZ Game and Fish called and now I have a late archery bull tag to do my first elk hunt solo!
I picked up some Kudu 125 Contours, and if they test well, I am unsure if I’ll do the Exodus (primary confidence), the Kudus or Magnus 4 blade Stinger (the ferrule design gives me pause on Wapiti).

Paul, any late season tips? Love all the info on all the podcasts I can find, but late season tops are hard to come by...
Sorry, don’t mean to detract from thread, I guess I shoulda PM’d, but I’m sure you’re a busy guy.

Fullfan

WKR
Having mixed feelings about the Slick Tricks. First off yes they did their intended job. My son shot his bull w a viper trick. Entered at the last rib on left side and was stuck in right shoulder. Dead bull. Tip was bent and the blades edges are all ripples.

I shot a buck yesterday w a Grizz Trick. Through shoulder blade and just poked through the off side. Tip was bent and blades were rippled.

heads fly great just seem a lil weak.

Attachments

• 5B7B2FA6-C025-4CCA-95FE-34A0330D7AE9.jpeg
    5B7B2FA6-C025-4CCA-95FE-34A0330D7AE9.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 49A79A3C-9EF4-42C6-9F55-E1BD449ACCA1.jpeg
    49A79A3C-9EF4-42C6-9F55-E1BD449ACCA1.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 29
Having mixed feelings about the Slick Tricks. First off yes they did their intended job. My son shot his bull w a viper trick. Entered at the last rib on left side and was stuck in right shoulder. Dead bull. Tip was bent and the blades edges are all ripples.

I shot a buck yesterday w a Grizz Trick. Through shoulder blade and just poked through the off side. Tip was bent and blades were rippled.

heads fly great just seem a lil weak.

Lol what do you expect when you hit elk sized bone? To re use it? I still have the Muzzy MX 4 that I killed my first elk with and a couple RazorTricks where they sliced thru rib bones on there way to passthru’s. The blades are dinged up such that I won’t use them again. Screw on another head and go kill something. ;)

LostArra

WKR
Lol what do you expect when you hit elk sized bone? To re use it? I still have the Muzzy MX 4 that I killed my first elk with and a couple RazorTricks where they sliced thru rib bones on there way to passthru’s. The blades are dinged up such that I won’t use them again. Screw on another head and go kill something. ;)

"Dinged up Tricks" are put back into commission as Hog Arrows.

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Since I posted earlier about my Coues, AZ Game and Fish called and now I have a late archery bull tag to do my first elk hunt solo!
I picked up some Kudu 125 Contours, and if they test well, I am unsure if I’ll do the Exodus (primary confidence), the Kudus or Magnus 4 blade Stinger (the ferrule design gives me pause on Wapiti).

Paul, any late season tips? Love all the info on all the podcasts I can find, but late season tops are hard to come by...
Sorry, don’t mean to detract from thread, I guess I shoulda PM’d, but I’m sure you’re a busy guy.

It’s still so crazy dry here, if it stays that way best bet is sitting eater water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk