Virginia bear

jfmac87

FNG
Anyone out there with Virginia bear experience?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
What specific experience are you looking for...? Finding them, getting them out, killing them, something else?

OP
J

jfmac87

FNG
What specific experience are you looking for...? Finding them, getting them out, killing them, something else?
Finding and patterning

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Patterning them is fruitless unless you have a sure fire food source like a cornfield. They just seem to wander around, eating what they come across. I cant say I have ever seen he same bear twice in Virginia, and I have seen a lot of bear while deer hunting.

As far as finding them, in Virginia acorns rule for most all game, including deer and bear. Find acorns and you will likely find bear sign, which includes poop (the more u find the better) and where they have scratched and broke down trees to mark their territory (most small pine trees)

They love hickory nuts. If you are hunting them in September early season, pokeberries might be a hot food source as well as well as autumn olive bushes.

Wild Cherry trees, they will climb and eat the cherries, same with apple trees.

Never hunted bear but would love to give it a try sometime. Would prefer not to do it over bait though.

Finding and patterning

Trail cameras work well. They like to find them, then eat them.

It's about like most things, although easier to pattern bear on food rather than cover. Biggest thing in VA is patterning the bear hunters. Get away from them and it's easier, but bears have huge home ranges generally, so it's not like you are going to find the same bear going the same route everyday, unless on a corn field as said above. But areas that hold bear generally hold multiple bear

Shupe88

WKR
Trail cameras work well. They like to find them, then eat them.

It's about like most things, although easier to pattern bear on food rather than cover. Biggest thing in VA is patterning the bear hunters. Get away from them and it's easier, but bears have huge home ranges generally, so it's not like you are going to find the same bear going the same route everyday, unless on a corn field as said above. But areas that hold bear generally hold multiple bear

Agree with the trail cams! Put one out and hunt over for the next two days! Almost guarantee you will see one. And I’m not joking! They absolutely love them! I have seen several this year in the grapes. Also hickory nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
Had an outfitter in Minnesota tell us the same thing and he added 4 wheeler seats. We all called BS, until one guy in our party came out one night to find his seat destroyed.
Park your quad and sit in the brush.

Jbogg

FNG
Our bow season here in Georgia begins in early to mid September. It is definitely possible to pattern bears at that time as they start hitting the white oaks. This time of year it is much more difficult. Most of the pregnant sows have already gone to Den, and the Boars won’t move much either unless there is enough mast on the ground to justify them staying on their feet.

OP
J

jfmac87

FNG
Thanks for all the help guys!!!