Virginia Elk Down

awasome

Lil-Rokslider

Elk were introduced into Virginia a few years back. There are counties where it is prohibited to hunt the elk. However if they wander out of those counties, they are open to be hunted with a deer tag. This fella got lucky!

VA will be doing its first regulated elk season next fall. Lottery opens in a few months.

I moved out of VA a few years ago so won't have my resident odds

OP
A

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
VA will be doing its first regulated elk season next fall. Lottery opens in a few months.

I moved out of VA a few years ago so won't have my resident odds
I will have to keep an eye out, so I can put in for the lottery!

We bought like 400 acre orchard there 15 years ago. My aunt is from the country so she did all the work. Cool country. I keep waiting for them to have hunts but recently she has said alot of elk on the property..might have to get some deer tags and travel soon

This is interesting. Why did they introduce elk to Virginia? We’re they ever native to that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. I believe the last one was killed in Front Royal in 1865
Elk used to be all over

EdP

WKR
A lucky hunter, good for him! He carefully followed all the regs and took the bull completely legally. However, the way he used his cell trail cam is effectively no different from using a drone to locate game and then go to that place and kill it. Using a drone in that manner is NOT legal in Va, and I suspect we eventually will see regs regarding how cell trail cams can be used. I hope we don't go the route of Arizona.

fatlander

WKR
A lucky hunter, good for him! He carefully followed all the regs and took the bull completely legally. However, the way he used his cell trail cam is effectively no different from using a drone to locate game and then go to that place and kill it. Using a drone in that manner is NOT legal in Va, and I suspect we eventually will see regs regarding how cell trail cams can be used. I hope we don't go the route of Arizona.

I had the same thoughts when reading the article, however I hope we do go the Arizona route.

EdP

WKR
Arizona banned ALL trail cam use. I don't want folks to be able to take real time advantage of in-field monitoring as the elk hunter did, but I do like monitoring if my food plots are getting used and seeing what wildlife in general are doing. Why would you be in favor of a complete ban?

fatlander

WKR
Arizona banned ALL trail cam use. I don't want folks to be able to take real time advantage of in-field monitoring as the elk hunter did, but I do like monitoring if my food plots are getting used and seeing what wildlife in general are doing. Why would you be in favor of a complete ban?

I didn’t want to derail this thread anymore than we already have, but since you asked:

It took millennia for weapons to get to the point of regulation in the woods, however at the end of the day they’re all just a tool to put a projectile the pump house. Is a modern rifle less sporting than a compound, and is a self bow more sporting than a compound? Yes and yes, however we can easily point to their lineage of development and come to a general consensus that they’re all part of fair chase hunting in their own right.

What’s a trail camera? What other pieces of gear can you point to as the evolutionary line of that gear? They’re so far beyond and different than anything that’s been used for hundreds of thousands of years. In less than 20 years of profound use, we’re already using them in real-time to kill game.

I liken it to this, if I could go back in time and speak their language; I could explain a modern rifle to a Neanderthal. Good luck explaining a trail camera.

EdP

WKR
I'm not sure I can make any sense of that, but it seems that there are technological developements that offend folk's concept of fair chase to varying degrees. We have to decide what to accept today and tomorrow as weapons and other hunting tools advance, and we each have our own opinion. Discussing this with the wife, she made an interesting point. From the standpoint of using hunting for animal population control/wildlife conservation, it doesn't matter what tools are used as long as the goal is attained. It's a fair point, but hunters and the public still have an expectation of fair chase.

KHNC

WKR
Hell i cant find anything in SC deer regulations that says a flashlight CAN NOT be used during legal shooting hours. Legal hours are ONE HOUR before sunrise and ONE HOUR after sunset. Its pretty damn dark at either time. Is using a light ethical? Of course not. But, It appears to be legal in the state.

jbranski

FNG
Nice to see opportunities for ek in the east.

That's really cool. I expected to see a giant PA sized bull, but it looks like a dumb rag that lost it's way LOL.

It's hard to argue on the guys trail cam monitoring. It's private property, and could be considered security cameras.

Definitely made the story less riveting knowing he cyber hunted before running to kill it, but it is what it is.
I forget that seeing elk everywhere isn't a normal thing for a lot of people. Lol

I imagine it's like seeing a mythical critter there.

fatlander

WKR
I'm not sure I can make any sense of that, but it seems that there are technological developements that offend folk's concept of fair chase to varying degrees. We have to decide what to accept today and tomorrow as weapons and other hunting tools advance, and we each have our own opinion. Discussing this with the wife, she made an interesting point. From the standpoint of using hunting for animal population control/wildlife conservation, it doesn't matter what tools are used as long as the goal is attained. It's a fair point, but hunters and the public still have an expectation of fair chase.

The point is, every piece of gear used by hunters can trace its lineage to more rudimentary (traditional) equipment. Trail cameras are just flat out different than anything we’ve ever used and in a very short they’ve spiraled into a real-time advantage that isn’t too far away from using drones to hunt. There isn’t any other gear that offers that profound of an advantage. All the other tools still requires you to be there to use it to your advantage. Trail cameras do not.