Virginia gun laws

Shupe88

Lil-Rokslider
Are you referring to the new laws that Gov. Northam is trying to pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shupe88

Lil-Rokslider
He is wanting any firearm that holds over 10 rounds to be illegal to purchase. Want all firearms registered. There will be a grandfather clause that allows someone who already owns that style of firearm to keep it. But it cannot be sold,traded or handed down. Several counties are becoming sanctuaries for firearm owners. Supposedly the law enforcement in those counties want enforce any new gun laws. We shall see!

Shupe88

Lil-Rokslider
The laws will be passed. So if the people keep there word it could get crazy down here in the weeks to come.

Sorry for the long post but I live at ground zero.

I'm not a political expert by any means but I've been studying VA's politics and this is complicated. The Rs have held the House and Senate for a long time. For the first time in decades we have a D House, Senate, and governor. This is largely because northern VA has continued to built out from the Washington DC suburbs and the rest of us in the state are simply getting outvoted. (No different than CO's front range dominating the rest of the state's politics)

A handful of districts didn't even have a R Delegate or Senator on the ballot. Which makes sense because in the Washington DC area a R doesn't stand a chance of being elected. Conversely, in most rural areas a D wouldn't have a chance of getting elected either.

It is clear that the Ds want to push gun control laws on the entire state and that they have the votes to do it if they stay the party line. It is interesting that Ds in Virginia don't band together like the Rs do, but for gun control they are very likely to stay the party line.

Here is where it gets interesting: nearly every county in Virginia (about 100) has become a "2nd Amendment (2A) Sanctuary", in defiance of the state's upcoming laws. The laws haven't changed yet but that time is coming. The counties have pulled together to protest what they think the new laws will be. They took a page from the illegal immigrant's playbook by declaring themselves "sanctuaries". This is where the local sheriff's deputies have stated that they will not enforce what they believe to be unconstitutional laws. This is going to be tricky in the future.

Keep in mind that the world's largest concentration of military personnel are in the area around Norfolk/Virginia Beach. Active military members tend to lean politically independent, and typically vote R. Many, many, many military members retire in Virginia after their service so there are very conservative people scattered throughout the state.

Quick Facts:
100 Delegates
40 Senators
Virginia's governor can only serve one term
approximately 100 counties
Bills will be submitted until mid-late January
Bills will be voted on from mid-January through late March
New laws will take effect on 1 July 2020.

Another fact is that 2A Facebook groups are popping up quickly and people are clearly pissed. One 2A Facebook group is about one month old and has 50,000+ members. Those are tremendous numbers. I don't know for sure but I don't think the anti 2A numbers are even close. When my county voted to become a 2A sanctuary the anti 2A people were visible but they didn't have much to say, nor were there many of them.

My prediction: I think that the Ds are scaring gun owners right now but will pull back the reins when voting on the bills. This is because the state's conservatives have woken up. If the Ds were to pass everything they say then I think they will lose the House, Senate, and governor all at the next election. Then the new Rs would just undo what the Ds had done. In my opinion the Ds have only been posturing and will soon temper back their rhetoric and actions.

Last point that is unrelated to gun laws: Virginia's Rs have been horrible to landowners and the majority of Virginia's hunters. The Rs have repeatedly weakened trespassing laws, disrespecting the rights of landowners. The Rs also repeatedly beat down any chance of Sunday hunting. In 2014 Virginia finally allowed hunting on Sundays (private land only, not public) and it was largely because of the Ds. My point is that Virginia's Rs have not been good to hunters.

Here is the latest on the 2A sanctuary counties. Some aren't 2A, but rather, are Constitutional sanctuaries. I'm not an attorney but I think they're about the same. You can clearly see the vast majority of the state has become a 2A sanctuary. The pink areas said they won't be a sanctuary. The white areas just haven't voted yet, but they will.

Keep in mind that all of the 90 or so counties that have become 2A sanctuaries didn't even start until mid-late November. Less than 2 months. Local governments hardly ever act this fast.

EDITED ON 1/7/2020 to show the new map. Virginia Beach voted last night to become a 2A sanctuary.

81607645_829003254236725_1750375331203645440_n.jpg

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
We had 3000 people show up to the high school in support of 2A stuff. I wasn’t there, but from what I hear it was a pretty hot time...

One more thing, then I'll settle down. Our governor Ralph Northam was my daughter's doctor about 8-10 years ago. He's a waterfowl hunter. HE IS A HUNTER AND I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT. He grew up in a rural area (Northampton county, on VA's "eastern shore") and still lives there. Of course, he also stays at the governor's mansion in Richmond as well. He is ex-military. He is a far cry from a city boy. I am deeply disappointed in his current position on guns.

He won the governor race because the R candidate was from Massachusetts. Rarely can a candidate move from the north to the south and get elected. The Rs screwed up. Northam beat him by a landslide.

OP
F
Elkstabber, Thanks for that run down.

The way I heard it the sheriffs in 2A sanctuaries will no enforce any of these new laws. Is the option to deploy the VANG still on the table to arrest the Sheriff who doesn't "enforce" the law?

It is my opinion, which is worthless in this situation, any recognition of any of these laws would be a total failure of a powerful movement. I would love to see Virginians not just hide their guns, but in the open show that they will not comply. Continue to import and use those firearms on the list.

They already said they want to take the semi auto's holding more than 10 rounds. If you settle for the grandfather clause which requires a registration, your days of owning those guns are limited.

If you can't walk into a gun shop and buy one of those weapons you have also lost.

I wouldn't worry too much about having a military presence in the area. Martial law would need to be implemented for our military to respond in force.

flatlanderhuffandpuff I would imagine its probably worse than what you are hearing. There are a pile of people that are about to be turned into felons by the stroke of a pen. People are pissed and rightly so. I hope the 20th is a smooth silent event and not a shit show. Thanks for taking the time to ride down and show your support! Will be there as well.

ODB

WKR
One more thing, then I'll settle down. Our governor Ralph Northam was my daughter's doctor about 8-10 years ago. He's a waterfowl hunter. HE IS A HUNTER AND I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT. He grew up in a rural area (Northampton county, on VA's "eastern shore") and still lives there. Of course, he also stays at the governor's mansion in Richmond as well. He is ex-military. He is a far cry from a city boy. I am deeply disappointed in his current position on guns.

He won the governor race because the R candidate was from Massachusetts. Rarely can a candidate move from the north to the south and get elected. The Rs screwed up. Northam beat him by a landslide.

City boy he may not be, but he is playing Alinsky games and is a clear example of how being drunk on power will screw you up. He seems to be making decisions out of spite, not the best interest of ALL (to use a left phrase) Virginians. surviving the black-face debacle only emboldened him because he now knows (at least thinks) his shit doesn’t stink to his arrogant and meddling base.

Elkstabber, Thanks for that run down.

The way I heard it the sheriffs in 2A sanctuaries will no enforce any of these new laws. Is the option to deploy the VANG still on the table to arrest the Sheriff who doesn't "enforce" the law?

It is my opinion, which is worthless in this situation, any recognition of any of these laws would be a total failure of a powerful movement. I would love to see Virginians not just hide their guns, but in the open show that they will not comply. Continue to import and use those firearms on the list.

They already said they want to take the semi auto's holding more than 10 rounds. If you settle for the grandfather clause which requires a registration, your days of owning those guns are limited.

If you can't walk into a gun shop and buy one of those weapons you have also lost.

I wouldn't worry too much about having a military presence in the area. Martial law would need to be implemented for our military to respond in force.

I can't answer to the exact legal situation but I've heard that the Sheriffs will be put in a risky position. That they could likely be prosecuted for not enforcing state laws. I think that law enforcement can show discretion for misdemeanors but that they are required to enforce felony charges. I think these gun laws are all misdemeanors, but I could be wrong.

Keep in mind that I feel most of these bills are political posturing. I think when the bills are negotiated into laws over the next two months they will be a lot different.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I can't answer to the exact legal situation but I've heard that the Sheriffs will be put in a risky position. That they could likely be prosecuted for not enforcing state laws. I think that law enforcement can show discretion for misdemeanors but that they are required to enforce felony charges. I think these gun laws are all misdemeanors, but I could be wrong.

How surreal is it that we are even talking about mass charges, confiscation, national
Guard, etc? Where are they going to start? Gun ranges? Knocking on doors? It’s about the most fascistic goddam thing imaginable.

Just filed today in addition to what is already drafted.

HB 567 Indoor shooting ranges; prohibited in buildings not owned or leased by the Commonwealth.

Indoor shooting ranges; prohibited in buildings not owned or leased by the Commonwealth or federal government; exceptions; civil penalty. Prohibits the operation of an indoor shooting range, defined in the bill, in any building not owned or leased by the Commonwealth or federal government unless (i) fewer than 50 employees work in the building or (ii) (a) at least 90 percent of the users of the indoor shooting range are law-enforcement officers or federal law-enforcement officers, (b) the indoor shooting range maintains a log of each user's name, phone number, address, and the law-enforcement agency where such user is employed, and (c) the indoor shooting range verifies each user's identity and address by requiring all users to present a government-issued photo-identification card. The bill provides that any person that violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of not less than $1,000 nor more than $100,000 for the initial violation and $5,000 per day for each day of violation thereafter.

HB 568 Carrying or storing firearms in motor vehicles and vessels; exceptions; penalty.

Carrying or storing firearms in motor vehicles and vessels; exceptions; penalty. Provides that any person possessing or storing a firearm in a motor vehicle or vessel shall secure such firearm in a locked container, other than a glove box, that is not within the dominion and control of or readily accessible for prompt and immediate use by any person within the motor vehicle. The bill provides exceptions for law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit. A violation is punishable by a civil penalty not to exceed $2,500. The bill also removes the current exception for carrying a concealed weapon for any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

HB 569 Out-of-state concealed handgun permits; reciprocity.

Out-of-state concealed handgun permits; reciprocity. Reinstates the prior law providing that the holder of an out-of-state concealed handgun permit who is at least 21 years of age is authorized to carry a concealed handgun in Virginia if the other state (i) has a 24-hour-a-day means of verification of the validity of the permits issued in that state and (ii) has requirements and qualifications that are adequate to prevent possession of a permit by persons who would be denied a permit in Virginia. Under current law, the holder of an out-of-state concealed handgun permit who is at least 21 years of age is authorized to carry a concealed handgun in Virginia if (a) the other state has a means of verification of the validity of the permits issued in that state, accessible 24 hours a day, if available; (b) the person carries a government-issued photo identification and displays it upon demand of a law-enforcement officer; and (c) the person has not previously had a Virginia concealed handgun permit revoked. The bill states that the Attorney General shall (1) determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of the bill, (2) maintain a registry of such states, and (3) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The bill further requires the Attorney General to review the determinations of whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of the bill and update the registry accordingly every two years. The bill removes the requirement for the Superintendent of State Police to enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with other states that require an agreement to be in place before the state will recognize a Virginia concealed handgun permit as valid in the state and provides that the Attorney General may enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition. The bill also reinstates the recognition of certain Maryland concealed handgun permits and eliminates the requirement that the Superintendent of State Police enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun permits or licenses with other states where agreements were in existence on December 1, 2015.

HB 599 Carrying weapon into building owned or leased by the Commonwealth; penalty.

Carrying weapon into building owned or leased by the Commonwealth; penalty. Makes it a Class 3 misdemeanor for a person to transport any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind; (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile, or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon; or (iii) other dangerous weapon into a building owned or leased by the Commonwealth or any agency thereof, where employees of the Commonwealth or agency thereof are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. A third or subsequent violation is punishable as a misdemeanor, and such offender may be confined in jail not more than 30 days and fined not more than $500, either or both. The bill provides exceptions for law-enforcement officers, conservators of the peace, magistrates, court officers, judges, city or county treasurers, commissioners or deputy commissioners of the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission, authorized security personnel, and active military personnel while in the conduct of such individuals' official duties. The bill requires that notice of the provisions prohibiting the carrying of such weapons be posted at each public entrance to all buildings owned or leased by the Commonwealth or any agency thereof.

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
There are some Democrat legislators that will have to make a hard choice. State Senator Creigh Deeds being one of them. He represents Bath (where he's from), Rockbridge, Alleghany, Highland (least populous county easy of the Mississippi) but extended eastward to include the people's republic of Charlottesville and it's suburbs. There may be others in similar situations, he just happens to be one I'm aware of.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR

Keep in mind that I feel most of these bills are political posturing. I think when the bills are negotiated into laws over the next two months they will be a lot different.

I just spent last year living in N Virginia and lived there in the early 90’s. N Virginia has really changed with all the uncontrolled immigration in the area.

I think you’re in denial if you think Gov KKK/ Coonman is going to back down on gun confiscation. He openly brags about it . Can’t believe you think your racist Gov Coonman and N VA Dems are reasonable. Just watch the Dem debates every candidate supported gun bans and confiscation along with open borders and free healthcare and college for illegal aliens.

just look to Maryland And NJ for their anti gun laws . Virginia is lost.

I have several good friends that live between the People's Republic of Charlottesville & the District of Commies... Trust me on this... there's huge numbers of people who are livid with what's going on. Prime example of "cold anger". Everyone believes there's no way in hell that any LEO would ever come & try to do anything like confiscation, etc. But they all will tell you that IF it ever did happen.. it's gonna get ugly real fast.
Keep an eye on Culpeper County...