Virginia public land.

jip40

FNG
I’ll be moving to NOVA this summer, curious how far west/south you have to get away from crowded public land? I’m guessing spots within 30 min-1 hour are too crowded even during archery season. Appreciate any advice.

I’m happy shooting does, more of a meat hunter.

OXN939

WKR
I’ll be moving to NOVA this summer, curious how far west/south you have to get away from crowded public land? I’m guessing spots within 30 min-1 hour are too crowded even during archery season. Appreciate any advice.

If does really are the goal, there is some pretty solid bowhunting to be done in NOVA itself. You can go down the google rabbit hole on it, but Fairfax county has an urban archery season that goes until March and from what I've heard, a lot of people fill tags.

To find public where you're not hearing traffic and have a reasonable chance of a decent hunt, you're probably spot on that you'd need to invest some travel time. The WMAs I know of near the beltway are crowded.

fatlander

WKR

Depending on where you’re at in NOVA, 30 minutes to an hour will still have you in NOVA...

Everyone’s definitions of nova is a little different. For me, it’s anything that’s north of the Rapp and anything east of 15. So don’t start counting time/distance until you’re out of that bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If does really are the goal, there is some pretty solid bowhunting to be done in NOVA itself. You can go down the google rabbit hole on it, but Fairfax county has an urban archery season that goes until March and from what I've heard, a lot of people fill tags.

To find public where you're not hearing traffic and have a reasonable chance of a decent hunt, you're probably spot on that you'd need to invest some travel time. The WMAs I know of near the beltway are crowded.

Hook up with the archery club there, get into the urban archery program. I heard of a guy up there who has a crossbow with a zombie sight and drops a dozen deer in one sit from his stand.

Don't ignore the eastern shore/south eastern WMA's or military bases either.

If you want to go west, fort valley and shenandoah valley have the national forest, but you'll need to do a lot of scouting so when you hunt, you are actually hunting something.

Alan Altizer said it's some of the worst and hardest hunting there is... here in the Appalachian range of VA. With that said there are some real bruisers to be had if you're willing to put in the time and effort.
I agree, the DWR has some of the most convoluted regs - I'm used to it by now, but I imagine for a newcomer it could quickly feel overwhelming. I'm out of Roanoke County. I can hunt either east or west of the Blue ridge which makes it nice to take advantage of that third buck option.
I agree - if you want somewhat managed public in VA stick to the WMAs otherwise you're mostly getting the mature growth NF.

jip40

FNG
Appreciate the info. I’ll be just outside Quantico, so I plan to scout the base. Hope it’s not too crowded during archery season. I’ll be happy to fill the freeze with a few does.

Appreciate the info. I’ll be just outside Quantico, so I plan to scout the base. Hope it’s not too crowded during archery season. I’ll be happy to fill the freeze with a few does.
How far you willing to drive?

Be careful any shotgun seasons on WMAs near major cities, that’s when and where a lot of gun accidents happen.

I hunted small game in the national forests outside Harrisonburg and Staunton when I was in college in the 2000s. Lots of camps during rifle season. Last time I was up there a few years ago seemed to be more road bicyclists than anything else. I recently got back into hunting since a buddy moved to Montana and have thought about going backcountry hunting in the national forest. Steep like Montana and not a plane ride or long drive away. I've never seen game in the national forest like I do in Montana though.

jip40

FNG
I spent a couple of years in Montana and was hoping there would be similar amount of game in the east due to more rainfall, more forage. Sounds like that is not the case. I know the tactic out west is to find recent burns or timber cuts to hunt in vicinity of. Is that a viable tactic in western VA?

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Oh there’s plenty of deer in Va. but the bulk of them are on private land. There are deer on public(some big ones) just not as many and they have a lot of places to hide.
It takes a lot of work to consistently kill mature bucks on public.
Listen to some Southern Outdoorsmen podcasts with guests like Nathan Killen and Devin Duncan.

We have a robust bear population here as well. I could fill a bear tag every year just while deer hunting. I did just that last year and plan on doing it again this year.

I spent a couple of years in Montana and was hoping there would be similar amount of game in the east due to more rainfall, more forage. Sounds like that is not the case. I know the tactic out west is to find recent burns or timber cuts to hunt in vicinity of. Is that a viable tactic in western VA?

Yes timber cuts and burns are a good tactic. Like Chord said, you can backpack hunt like out west, just prepare to scout a little more and you'll hunt one or two deer family groups per 1000 acres vs 5 or more on well managed private farm land.

But I backpack hunt NF (just day trips - no camping, but I pack out the deer), and last year It took me two days scouting to find the deer bedded. Trail cams showed one big 10 point, and 4 does. So that was an excellent find and pretty easy. I'll be after the 10 point this fall if he's still around. Given where he was, I'm confident he will have survived hunters.

I would consider your goals: do you just want meat? Or do you want a trophy? Little or no pressure? etc.

If you just want meat, get into the urban archery program and hunt the forest near the Potomac in Great Falls VA, or get into the Fairfax club and hunt the parks/backyards.

If you want trophy bucks and no pressure, the National Forest can deliver just will require all your woodsman skills, patience, mental and physical stamina, etc. A lot of people don't hunt during the week...

I hunted small game in the national forests outside Harrisonburg and Staunton when I was in college in the 2000s. Lots of camps during rifle season. Last time I was up there a few years ago seemed to be more road bicyclists than anything else. I recently got back into hunting since a buddy moved to Montana and have thought about going backcountry hunting in the national forest. Steep like Montana and not a plane ride or long drive away. I've never seen game in the national forest like I do in Montana though.
You go to JMU Or EMU?

JS1622

FNG
I think it’s simply a lot of people not wanting to put the work in, when they can pay for access. That thinking is translated into thinking, paid access equals more deer.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I know some fellas from back when i used to run a hunting forum for virginia that used to hunt quantico with great success. NOVA also has some good urban hunting etc.

pjh360

FNG

Two interesting articles on VA public land and VA whitetail deer.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the input and offers. I will be living in northern VA, but hunting wherever it is decent that is not northern VA. West is most likely easiest for me to get to. I have some contacts in Pulaski area so may check that out as well. I am not great at sitting, so will be trying to find places where either spot and stalk or still hunting is an option. Probably a lot harder with whitetails and forests with leaves in the ground. So far looking to find public land sandwiched in between ag land where bucks may go to bed and hide out. Other than that I haven’t called/rattled whitetails but guess it’s time to learn!
I was stationed in VA for nearly four years and just got relocated by the Army last August. What part of NOVA? I would stay away from Quantico, Phelps WMA and Thompson WMA. They are usually over run by people and it sounds like Afghanistan circa 2011 on opening day. I hunted Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County for the 4 years I was up there. It is archery only and you have to qualify but I had my saddle and 4 lock-on stands that I set out. I saw deer EVERY hunt (normally four days a week, mostly evenings) that were within an easy shooting range. There are several good bucks taken on Belvoir every year and I missed a real beauty one evening. It doesn't get hunted hard, especially during the week and the deer density is rather high. The season starts in September and runs through the middle of April. If you are anywhere near it, I would highly suggest hunting it.