Virginia public land.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be moving to NOVA this summer, curious how far west/south you have to get away from crowded public land? I’m guessing spots within 30 min-1 hour are too crowded even during archery season. Appreciate any advice.

I’m happy shooting does, more of a meat hunter.
Hunt on Fort Belvoir. I rarely ever saw another hunter in the woods, especially during the week. It is open to the public, if you are not a CAC holder. It is archery only and you do have to qualify before you can purchase a base license but it is very easy to do.

Traveler

WKR
I was stationed in VA for nearly four years and just got relocated by the Army last August. What part of NOVA? I would stay away from Quantico, Phelps WMA and Thompson WMA. They are usually over run by people and it sounds like Afghanistan circa 2011 on opening day. I hunted Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County for the 4 years I was up there. It is archery only and you have to qualify but I had my saddle and 4 lock-on stands that I set out. I saw deer EVERY hunt (normally four days a week, mostly evenings) that were within an easy shooting range. There are several good bucks taken on Belvoir every year and I missed a real beauty one evening. It doesn't get hunted hard, especially during the week and the deer density is rather high. The season starts in September and runs through the middle of April. If you are anywhere near it, I would highly suggest hunting it.
Thanks for the tips. I’ll be close enough to belvoir and ha e looked at it. I will be archery only and circling in on having a nova/mil base like belvoir as an option and some private/nf in the sw part of state

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the tips. I’ll be close enough to belvoir and ha e looked at it. I will be archery only and circling in on having a nova/mil base like belvoir as an option and some private/nf in the sw part of state
Don't be afraid to knock on doors up there. There are a lot of neighborhoods where the landowners have parcels that have wooded lots behind their house and the property lines connect. I know several people up there that have whole neighborhoods locked down and kill dozens of deer every year. The population density in NOVA is high and lots of those suburban wives don't care for the critters eating their rose bushes. You will be surprised how many people are receptive to responsible hunters. Some of them will also look at you like you have a dick growing from your forehead.

Traveler

WKR
^^haha...I’ve looked at the urban archery hunting. One of the rules is deer must be completely covered during removal. Seems like a pain, but maybe worth it for the number of deer in that area

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
^^haha...I’ve looked at the urban archery hunting. One of the rules is deer must be completely covered during removal. Seems like a pain, but maybe worth it for the number of deer in that area
So those are the rules for the city and county park urban archery program. If you're on private property you don't have to do that but it wouldn't be a bad idea either way. You could try that program but it is used by the county as an eradication program and not to really manage the deer properly. I did a lot of research into it and from what I found, 5-10 years ago you would've had good success. Nowadays, not so much. Some of those parks are pretty big and some of the areas get pretty remote, considering you are in a major metropolitan area.

Two interesting articles on VA public land and VA whitetail deer.

I saw those articles as well. There's a public land group on facebook where a couple guys who are really tuned into the timber management aspect of the NF post comments. Apparently, "environmental" groups put so much pressure on regulators that coming up with a good timber management program is basically impossible in the current political landscape. VA is becoming East California, and its really sad.

Any of ya'll turkey hunt VA public lands? Looking to possibly hunt there this spring. Don't post the info in here, but if you feeling generous, send me a PM.

This is an old thread but as someone moving from the west to VA it makes me feel a lot better about hunting opportunity. Thanks all for posting up here.

You might check out mattaponi and duncan wma's in caroline county. Not far down I-95. Hear good things about them. Just 3 year old wma's.

kylehey

FNG
Yes timber cuts and burns are a good tactic. Like Chord said, you can backpack hunt like out west, just prepare to scout a little more and you'll hunt one or two deer family groups per 1000 acres vs 5 or more on well managed private farm land.

But I backpack hunt NF (just day trips - no camping, but I pack out the deer), and last year It took me two days scouting to find the deer bedded. Trail cams showed one big 10 point, and 4 does. So that was an excellent find and pretty easy. I'll be after the 10 point this fall if he's still around. Given where he was, I'm confident he will have survived hunters.

I would consider your goals: do you just want meat? Or do you want a trophy? Little or no pressure? etc.

If you just want meat, get into the urban archery program and hunt the forest near the Potomac in Great Falls VA, or get into the Fairfax club and hunt the parks/backyards.

If you want trophy bucks and no pressure, the National Forest can deliver just will require all your woodsman skills, patience, mental and physical stamina, etc. A lot of people don't hunt during the week...
Does the DWR have any maps or current or recent timber harvest on public land?

Tradchef

WKR
I used to live in Star Tannery years ago. I was able to hunt the farmette property I rented which was killer and I used to hunt a lot in the GW by Wardensville and Capon Springs. Never saw anyone up there. Great hunting for sure

I used to live in Star Tannery years ago. I was able to hunt the farmette property I rented which was killer and I used to hunt a lot in the GW by Wardensville and Capon Springs. Never saw anyone up there. Great hunting for sure
I grew up near there - small world. Are you originally from there? Used to drive my little truck through Morgan’s Ford behind that little gas station. And had a beer at the little hole in the wall bar (can’t remember what it was called)

Tradchef

WKR
Nah man.....I grew up in northern Vermont. I lived in Frederick Co for 6 years. I was the chef at L’auberge Provençale over in White Post for that time. I didn’t want to live in Winchester so I found that place in Star Tannery. Man.....I loved it up there. The trout fishing was great, the natural springs, Turkey, deer and bears all over and very little hunting pressure. I had some private land to hunt in Warren Co that was freaking awesome. And of course I loved going to Toms Brook to Shenandoah Sporting Goods. Good dudes down here.

Tradchef

WKR
I will say that what everyone says about the eastern side of the mountains is true. I lived down towards C-Ville for a bit as well. Lots of deer but sitting in your stand and seeing hounds run through on the daily really sucks. It’s part of the culture there and totally legal but man.....super frustrating most days that’s for sure.

Yeah man.....Corners Bar and Grille. That shit would get some kind of rowdy when the bikers would come through in the summer....
That was it! I remember going in there my first time and the person who cleaned our house was there (i had just turned 21) so it was hilarious to me. They had beast in the van for $2.

Tradchef

WKR
That was it! I remember going in there my first time and the person who cleaned our house was there (i had just turned 21) so it was hilarious to me. They had beast in the van for $2.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!! I'm sure that shit is still going strong. Man, they used to have some killer brawls in that little dive.