Vise question (home setup)

Recluse

FNG
General question on this. I’m looking at getting an OMP vise for the house to check 1st and 2nd axis throughout the season

What are the best practices around this, as far as leveling. Do I simply bolt the stand to the floor and use a single string leveler as step 1? (Before even checking 1st axis)

Planning to use a Hamskea for the 1st axis

thanks

Most of the vises bolt or clamp to a bench. I don’t think most hunting sights have 1st axis adjustments, I know spot Hogg sights don’t. Most shops will tell you to plumb the riser and then set 2nd axis off of that. Then set 3rd axis at full draw.

Hoot

WKR
I like to use multiple levels to ensure the bow is plumb in the vise. I start with a string level, check with a large level spanning both limbs at the pockets, and then depending on the riser/shelf, I’ll use smaller bubble levels to check there as well...

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I have a MBG Ascent Verdict sight.

Just confirming that the vise has no level on it, correct ? All leveling is done on the string or riser etc

Thanks for the replies. I have a MBG Ascent Verdict sight.

Just confirming that the vise has no level on it, correct ? All leveling is done on the string or riser etc
Yup. Put bow in vise. Clamp hamskea to riser, get bow perfectly level. Then make sure the hamskea level and the level in your sight match. Then put hamskea level on your sight and install vertical rod, hang a plumb bob from ceiling with a string, draw bow, aim down hill keeping vertical rod on ham seal level in line with string and make sure your sight bubble stays in the middle. Or just go to hamskea later sight or you tube hamskea and watch their videos.

I'm not familiar with the omp vise, but I haven't seen a bow vice with an incorporated level. All bows are different, so it would be difficult for the mount to contain a level that would work on the bow.

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
Yup. Put bow in vise. Clamp hamskea to riser, get bow perfectly level. Then make sure the hamskea level and the level in your sight match. Then put hamskea level on your sight and install vertical rod, hang a plumb bob from ceiling with a string, draw bow, aim down hill keeping vertical rod on ham seal level in line with string and make sure your sight bubble stays in the middle. Or just go to hamskea later sight or you tube hamskea and watch their videos.
Thanks. I own the Hamskea 3rd axis level and use it to set third axis. But I attach it to my riser when I use the plum line. Does it matter ?

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
Last question: Can you guys recommend a basic string level?

OR Archer

WKR
You will want to attach it to the sight for 3rd axis.
Not all sights allow for it to be attached to the sight itself. Wether it’s on the sight or the riser it will still work. I’ve can’t even count how many sights I’ve leveled over the years and it works both ways.

I have only ever work on my own bows so certainly not an expert, just what I do and have read or watched.

I'm all for owning your own vise, but, once your bow is setup you should not have to check 1-3rd axis unless you think a screw is coming loose. 1st, you can get a little play in the mounting holes on most sights, not a lot but if it's off usually enough to bring it to level.

MBG are my preferred sight and I usually take them all the way apart and start levelling 2nd with the first piece that attaches to the mounting bar where the 3rd axis hinges. then add on the slider and level, then level the ring bubble. With the 2 screw methot they have now on the face I would be very surprised if that level ever moved. 3rd axis typically locks on them as well.

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
Thanks man. I hear ya. I hunt 90+ times a year and go through some thick stuff that ALWAYS ends up catching my bow sight. Usually in the form of briar. Nice to have this on standby, as well as for other bows i buy

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think it's just as easy to use something like a patio stanchion.......door frame.....that you already know is plumb, and set your 2nd axis up with that. And then use the Hamskea at full draw to check and set the 3rd axis.