Vision Kamado grills

Anyone have one? I’ve used a cheap Char Griller for the last couple years and it’s on its last legs. What I learned is I really enjoy cooking on a Kamado style grill and have gotten pretty good at it. Makes me want to upgrade to a better quality this time around, but can’t see paying $1500+ for a grill. The Vision gets generally good reviews and I’m 90% planning on getting one. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had two, both were (are) great performers. I most recently bought a larger model that has a handy ash tray. You won't regret and will certainly save some cash as compared to other brands. I've looked them over closely and you will get many additional features with Vision. The first vision is five years old and still does great. It gets heavy use 4 to 5 times a week, sometimes more.

I've had one for 3 years now and think it was a great purchase. I mainly went with Vision due to cost and available features (primarily the ability to switch it to gas in about 5 minutes). My only complaint is trying to get it to hold temp when smoking meat for hours, it won't hold at ~230*F for more than a few minutes so it takes a lot of babysitting. Since mine has multiple openings for the gas/charcoal setup I think it leaks more air than the ones with just the basic sliding vents. One day when I have room I will have a dedicated offset smoker, but for now the vision gives me multiple cooking options in one package.

SWOHTR

WKR
Have used a Vision at two in-laws quite a bit and they’re great.

However, I bought a used kamado joe Classic 1 on craigslist last year and would recommend KJ over vision. More accessories and better construction. My only word of caution is that KJ have a non-transferable warranty, so if you buy used and the original owner registered it, you can’t use the warranty.

I bought mine for $500. Use it 1-3x per week and it makes the best steaks, pizza, and barbecue. Smoked a turkey on thanksgiving and it was great.

I have a Pro-C model. I stepped up from an Akorn also. I like the Vision a lot better. I took some of the felt gasket material and lined my ash drawer tray with that, it now seals up great and I can hold temps great on long smokes. I do not use the starter port but I use the starter I just put it down in the coals through the lid. Saves more moneythan you think on starter cubes etc. as far as accessories, the size is the same as a large KJ or Egg, so all those accessories fit a vision. But the better stuff seems to come from the Ceramic Grill Store as far as deflectors and adjustable grate setups. I still have my Weber kettle but I rarely use it anymore. If you have any more questions I would gladly answer. I also did a turkey for thanksgiving and many more butts and briskets before that.

OP
C
Thanks guys. Pretty much mirrors what I’ve seen online. Sounds like I can put some gasket material around the ash try and all should be good. Hoping for a cyber Monday deal!

OP
C
So.....ordered the grill from Home Depot on December 3. Finally arrived today (17th). Box is beat to hell, open it up and no cracks in the ceramic. Start looking for the cart and handles, all that stuff is missing!. After an hour on the phone with Home Depot they tell me there isn’t anything they can do but the guy will follow up at 3 pm whe he comes back to work. Completely unacceptable!

Hoping to talk to someone at Vision in the morning and get the missing pasts asap, but kinda pissed about the delay and missing all the things I need to use my grill. Home Depot is off my list of places to buy as well.

Rant over

11boo

WKR
If you ever get all the parts you should love it. Mine is going on 7 years and still on the original lid gasket.
ceramicgrillstore.com is your friend.

got mine on clearance at sams for stupid cheap.
43994222-E51C-4F63-869B-922CE235C7BF.jpegF066B23A-4FB0-467D-B3D2-FB13699ED492.jpeg

OP
C
I did and I do love it. Still learning temp regulation which is definitely different than the cheap Akorn but so far have done venison backstraps, a prime rib, and some steaks. Gonna try jerky this afternoon!