Visiting Indiana Next week

floatdogg

FNG
Hello all Indiana Hunters!

I am from California and I will be visiting Central Indiana for work next week. I have been emailing with fish and game back and forth, sending over my hunters ed number and other things in order to secure my non-res Indiana license for the deer season. I have seen tags for deer reduction zones and does. I was curious if any of these tags apply to public land? Since I don't know anybody in the area I will have to be on public land to hunt. I will be in Hamilton county and it seems the nearest public land would be the Harrison Crawford area. I am open to deer reduction/doe/buck anything. I've never tagged a deer before as it is very difficult in California. I'm hoping my luck increases in Indiana. I am willing to hike a few miles if needed. I'm also willing to pay for a local to gain access to their land/take me out if anyone was willing.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
For public land you need the reg archery tag. The bonus antlerless and reduction zone tags are mostly for private. In archery season you can take 2 deer only 1 of which can be antlered. So you could take a buck and doe or 2 does. If you wanted more you need bonus antlerless tags which are not valid on most public. If you get the deer combo you can hunt the archery, firearms, and muzzleloader seasons on just that tag and ot covers your 2 archery tags, 1 firearms, and 1 muzzloader but you are allowed only 1 buck a year regardless of weapon and season. You can find all the license requirements and limits on Indiana DNR site.
I hunt entirely public in Indiana and primarily target mature bucks. If your after any deer just hunt hard scout for good sign and you will get on some deer. Don't get discouraged by other hunters as hunter density can be higher than what your used to. Of course getting away from others is typically more productive. It's not always about deep overlooked spots are really good too.

Last edited:
OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
For public land you need the reg archery tag. The bonus antlerless and reduction zone tags are mostly for private. In archery season you can take 2 deer only 1 of which can be antlered. So you could take a buck and doe or 2 does. If you wanted more you need bonus antlerless tags which are not valid on most public. If you get the deer combo you can hunt the archery, firearms, and muzzleloader seasons on just that tag and ot covers your 2 archery tags, 1 firearms, and 1 muzzloader but you are allowed only 1 buck a year regardless of weapon and season. You can find all the license requirements and limits on Indiana DNR site.
I hunt entirely public in Indiana and primarily target mature bucks. If your after any deer just hunt hard scout for good sign and you will get on some deer. Don't get discouraged by other hunters as hunter density can be higher than what your used to. Of course getting away from others is typically more productive. It's not always about deep overlooked spots are really good too.

Man this was some Great info brotha! I appreciate it. I'm hoping for the best! Much appreciated.