Vivo forest tracker esc durability

Hoodie

WKR
Can you guys that are wearing the Tracker esc for big game hunts and heavy pack out speak more about how these boots work in those situations? Before reading this thread I would have said no way could you wear a minimalist boot to pack out an elk. I understand the concept of wearing minimalist shoes and slowly getting your foot strength and shape up to the task but it still seems kinda crazy.

I hunt exclusively in minimalist footwear and also used them extensively in the military prior to that. 70-80lb loads are not an issue provided you have properly built up your feet.

As for rocks, I've only had issues once. On a training patrol in AZ my team did an infil across a rock field with smallish, sharp edged rocks about 5 inches or so in diameter. I was wearing the Belleville mini-mil at the time and it was pretty rough. I went out after that and bought a low-cut Merrell Moab (hardly a "real" boot in most people's minds). It performed fine.

Outside of that, I've never wished for a stiffer sole. And I've crossed a lot of smaller scree since then in Vivo boots with no issues.

I could never go back to a heavy, stiff boot.

Braaap

WKR
I hunt exclusively in minimalist footwear and also used them extensively in the military prior to that. 70-80lb loads are not an issue provided you have properly built up your feet.

As for rocks, I've only had issues once. On a training patrol in AZ my team did an infil across a rock field with smallish, sharp edged rocks about 5 inches or so in diameter. I was wearing the Belleville mini-mil at the time and it was pretty rough. I went out after that and bought a low-cut Merrell Moab (hardly a "real" boot in most people's minds). It performed fine.

Outside of that, I've never wished for a stiffer sole. And I've crossed a lot of smaller scree since then in Vivo boots with no issues.

I could never go back to a heavy, stiff boot.
Thank you, great info.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve been wearing minimalist footwear exclusively for about a decade now. I can tell you, once you’ve become accustomed to them, there’s no issue packing out animals or backpacking long distances over rough terrain with heavy loads. I tend to elk hunt around tree line in some pretty gnarly units here, and I’ve never really stopped and wished I had heavy stiff boots. Once your body has come to terms with it, it’s no different than walking with any other comfortable footwear. I think the only thing is it does force you to maybe walk a little slower and pay a little more attention to foot placement. But I think that’s actually a good thing.
One thing that stuck in my head years ago when I was researching this type of footwear, was seeing pictures of the sherpas in the Himalayas, carrying giant loads of gear up steep Rocky trails in flip flops or sandals. Again, there bodies are working in a way they’ve grown accustomed to. If those guys threw on heavy rigid boots, they would likely get injured just like someone not used to minimalist would likely get injured doing the same in flip flops.

fd2e284493290b7cc6fa9f1a3a957409.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
That'd not super long yet, I think mine shipped from the Netherlands, they took like 2.5-3 weeks.
I’m spoiled. My Red Kettle stuff from the U.K. came in a few days. Some of us with OCD shipping tracking problems get so used to quick shipping and detailed info. As of now I’m just aware the package has made it through customs. Not sure where - there or here. Or ETA. 1st world problems

Zaubr306

FNG
Anybody make a decent safety toe zero drop/minimalist boot? I like my Vivobarefoot boots but I'm not supposed to wear them at work.
I’m currently trying to figure this out myself. I’m a carpenter and the closest I’ve found are safety boots by “keen” asymmetrical safety toe and they’re regular sizes are a bit wider then most other boots. They also offer “wide fits” not sure on the zero drop but I’ll take the wide toe box and safety toe.

Currently wearing thorogoods which I like but seems a bit counter intuitive when I spend the rest of my waking hours barefoot or in vivos, but 45 hours a week in “normal” boots.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
That'd not super long yet, I think mine shipped from the Netherlands, they took like 2.5-3 weeks.
Still haven’t received them and the tracking info seems to have died on the 10th. I wish I had paid extra for expedited shipping. I’m such a baby.

sndmn11

WKR
Still haven’t received them and the tracking info seems to have died on the 10th. I wish I had paid extra for expedited shipping. I’m such a baby.
Mine were in customs no man land for close to two weeks. Their actual traveling movement time was short, but they hit a panic-inducing stall in customs.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Mine were in customs no man land for close to two weeks. Their actual traveling movement time was short, but they hit a panic-inducing stall in customs.
Mine seems to have cleared customs in the Netherlands on Nov 7.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
How long ago did you order? Taking a long time for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you get yours? I'm still waiting on mine and the last info from the "tracking" was "in transit" on 11/11. Communication with them has been somewhat sporadic.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Did you get yours? I'm still waiting on mine and the last info from the "tracking" was "in transit" on 11/11. Communication with them has been somewhat sporadic.
Delivery was attempted at my office on 12/3. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on them to try out.

OP
H
After wearing mine a few more times I think they might be a little quieter when stalking. I don't think the soles necessarily have any to do with it, but the ground feel and flexibility makes it easier to stalk more quietly than with stuff boots, similar to when I hunt in minimal running shoes.

Braaap

WKR
I wore mine for the first time on a short quail hunt a few days ago. Fairly flat terrain but very rocky and I really like them. You have to walk differently than stiff boots but that’s not a bad thing. There was several inches of snow on the ground and my feet stayed warm and dry. The soles are great and I felt more sure footed than I normally do in Scarpa’s on snow covered rocks. My feet were fine the next day. I’ve worn zero drop shoes almost exclusively for two years so I’m already adjusted to that. Only issue I have is the lace location over the ball of my ankle like others have mentioned but I think I can deal with it.