Voormi Short Sleeve Merino Tech Tee Review

I’ve mostly lurked in the shadows up until now. I feel a bit underqualified to share my opinion but here it goes. I forgot to pack a base layer for my first elk hunt and I remembered it on hour 4 of a 17 hour drive. We stopped at a big chain store on the way to Colorado and I couldn’t find anything that didn’t look like it would fall apart on me. When we arrived in Pagosa Springs, CO we stopped to get our licenses at the Bow and Skid Rack. I found some base layers on the rack and I grabbed the only merino base layer they had. I ended up buying a Voormi Short Sleeve Merino Tech Tee. It is a short sleeve merino wool tee shirt. It cost me around $70 which isn’t bad for a merino base layer. I wasn’t expecting much, but this turned out to be one of the best pieces out of all the gear I brought hunting.
The shirt was extremely comfortable to wear, not scratchy or overly loose. I lived in my Voormi shirt for 6 days. The shirt didn’t hold any odor, didn’t get crusty, and pretty much gave me everything I could have possibly wanted in a base layer. It never felt worn or stretched out. I woke up each morning with the shirt feeling like the first day I put it on. I went from wet with sweat from hiking to dry in just a few minutes every time we stopped. On the days we got rain I stayed comfortable and it dried quickly as soon as the precipitation stopped.
We ended up having to get off the mountain early because of some weather that was moving in. That gave us some time to look around Pagosa Springs. We came across the Voormi headquarters store where they actually produce portions of their clothing line. After talking with the manager there, I am even more impressed with the company they’ve built. I won’t get too much into the technical parts of why their product is so good, but their website has good information if anyone is interested. The short version is that a variety of processes are used the help their clothing wear well and perform its job. They make sure that next to skin layers to feel good on the skin. Outer layers to repel water and resist pulls and tears. Voormi pays special attention to utilizing synthetic fibers blended into their wool correctly to help cloth perform well in its function. All Voormi wool is sourced from the high elevations of the Rocky Mountains, and they manufacture their products 100% in the U.S.A.
Since we’ve gotten back, I’ve worn my shirt around South Louisiana. When I got back it was around 95 and 85% plus humidity. This is the only shirt I’ve ever worn down here that helps me stay comfortable outside. I’m interested in seeing how it does in the dead of summer next year on some fishing or hog hunting trips. I also want to see how it does after being worn for 10 or 20 days of serious hunting and hiking. I will absolutely be buying more of their products. I look forward to using the rest of their product lines. I plan on doing a follow up review to let y’all know how the shirt performs after multiple washings and being used in various environments including a few days in the swamps down here.

welcome to the forum. one of the nicest gear revues in a while. will be checking them out for sure as we get some summer in se ga. have always felt same way about merino in heat as long as not pushing thru the nasty stuff. but for mowing or riding the harley give me my merino!

OP
L
I'm looking at getting that hoodie myself. I'd also like one of the vests. I don't mind paying that much if it is a worth while buy.
On a side note, I asked about plans for boxers while I was there too. They only have full and 3/4 length baselayers right now. They said they'd consider a boxer if they got a few requests for it. They would also consider putting out a sock if they had some requests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I am surprised the Voormi doesn't get much love here. Maybe nobody has heard about it because they don't market as well as Kuiu, Sitka, Firstlite, etc.

I have a bunch of Voormi clothing. Their High E hoodie is one of the most versatile pieces of clothing there is. I have worn it rock climbing, ice climbing, hunting, hiking, fly fishing, backcountry skiing. The comfortable temperature range on this hoody is extremely broad. It was my first Voormi clothing. In spite of very hard use, it still looks barely used.

Since then, I've bought a ton of other Voormi clothing, including some of their camo clothing. I really like their camo patterns. They blend in very well, but don't look too redneck to wear around town.

Their merino base layers are holding up to brush busting better than any other wool base layers I've owned. Their River Run hoodie is my warm weather outdoor go-to for everything from exploring the desert to backcountry fly fishing.

I wish they made pants. I'd buy them too based on my great experiences with everything else I've used.

And, made in Colorado, USA by a company that whole heartedly supports the hunting community.

I haven't used the Sawtooth, but based on my experience with Voormi and Firstlite products, I'd be willing to bet that the High E hoodie will be more durable. Sawtooth might be warmer due to the chest insulation. Voormi will have better weather resistance in the hood and other areas where the Sawtooth doesn't have the nylon DWR layer. Sawtooth has full camo options (High E only comes in solids.) The Sawtooth looks like a nice piece of kit, and is probably pretty comparable in use to the High E hoodie.

any idea how the Vooemi High E hoodie would compare to the First Lite Sawtooth??

three5x5s

WKR
I haven't used the Sawtooth, but based on my experience with Voormi and Firstlite products, I'd be willing to bet that the High E hoodie will be more durable. Sawtooth might be warmer due to the chest insulation. Voormi will have better weather resistance in the hood and other areas where the Sawtooth doesn't have the nylon DWR layer. Sawtooth has full camo options (High E only comes in solids.) The Sawtooth looks like a nice piece of kit, and is probably pretty comparable in use to the High E hoodie.

Well put, Thanks

fwafwow

WKR
Old thread, but thanks to the OP and others. I found Voormi by searching for CO made products for a gift for a friend there. Now I’m interested in them for myself. Any updates from folks who wear their stuff?

Bluumoon

WKR
I've have the lightweight hoody for a couple years, I use it mostly during the summer, but makes a great base layer too. Holds off the stink over multi day trips and has held up well.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same tee and the river run hoodie. I love both. I wear them all the time and they have held up awesome.