vortek ultralight 1:28 twist conical suggestions

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried hornady fpb 300 grains (i think) and buffalo ball-ets 270 grain with ok results. has anyone used this muzzleloader? if so what are you shooting out of it. i'm using williams fiber optics open sights and can only use conicals as i only use this muzzleloader in colorado. appreciate any suggestions.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with that gun, but typically 1:28 shooting conicals is going to need a long (heavy) bullet. My 1:28 50 cal that is Colorado legal only likes the 450 grain bullet. It kicks like a mule but will do less than 2" groups with a peep at 100 yards. I'm shooting the prbullet.com conical. Check out their website and you'll find charts on there to match the twist of your gun to a bullet.

Robby is right on, you need a long heavy bullet to stabilize in that fast twist barrel. You will probably only need between 70-85 grains of powder as well.

I like the No Excuses bullets made in Utah. I have been shooting the 460 grain 50 caliber in my Knight. They are die sized to 0.503" and the die sizing helps them load like butter, and get started straight. The prices are very good too, $24.95 for 50 bullets, less than $.50/bullet. I started shooting these in my Knight Disc Extreme last year, and I'm shooting my best groups ever in over 25 years of shooting conicals. Here is the link:

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com

We also have to use open sights here in Oregon. If you want to try a different sight, try XS Sights. They make a ghost ring rear sight with a patridge white line front sight. You aim off the top of the front blade (rather than cover the aiming point with a front bead) which makes for far more precise aiming. I used these for the first time last year, and went from a 1" group with a scope (used for load development) to a 2" group with open sights (100 yards). I was pretty impressed. Here's the link:

http://www.xssights.com

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear from you Umpqua, I'll check those No Excuses bullets out.

Did Utah treat you well this last fall?

Hey Robby, we had a great time in Utah, but our time there was kinda cut short because my wife Christy drew 6 tags in 4 states last fall, including a sheep tag in our home state of Oregon. Chris killed her buck with a CVA Accura muzzleloader in Utah on the third day. Here's a pic. It was printed in the last issue of Huntin Fool:

IMG_3344.jpg