Vortex 15-45X65 or 11-33X50

Keep the Vortex Viper HD 14-45x65 or Switch to a Razor HD 11-33x50?

• Keep the Vortex Viper HD 14-45x65

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Switch to a Razor HD 11-33x50

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I do quite a bit of high elevation archery backpack elk hunting, and have had a Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 for the past few years. While I have liked the scope, I have found myself leaving it behind on my tougher trips due to weight constraints. At the end of last season I sent my scope in for some repairs, and to my surprise Vortex sent me a brand new scope. If I am going to switch scopes, now seems like the right time when I have a NIB one to sell.

I have been considering buying a Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 because I think I'd actually carry it on my longer trips, but am a little worried it won't serve my needs. Where we hunt we are usually just trying to determine if we are looking at a legal bull, but not too concerned with scores. With the light gathering constraints of the 50mm will the scope significantly outperform my 8x42 Viper HD binos in low light? Given my uses, should I switch to the 11-33x50?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
A spotter doesn't do you any good if it is in the truck.

The Razor 11-33X50 is a pretty darn good spotter, for a 50mm. I would say it would definitely be better than no spotter at all. I don't ever go hunting without a spotter, but there are a few archery hunts where I don't use it much. For me, that is where the 50mm spotter would come in.

Normally I pack an 85mm spotter, as the weight is worth the performance, to me.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I forgot to mention that my hunting partner that I hunt with most of the time will probably still bring his 85mm, but it will probably stay at camp when we head out for the day.

dotman

WKR
Why take a spotter if it just sits in the truck or at camp? If you really don't want to add the weight maybe just sell and use the funds to upgrade other gear. I voted 50 because this is a big investment to not always have in your pack.

Beastmode

WKR
If you want to have a spotter to bring all the time and you feel your 65 is too heavy, a 50 is probably the best option. I never go without a spotter while hunting deer. It is a must and saves my legs incredibly.