Vortex amazing customer service

KHNC

WKR
Seems like every Vortex owner has had to use the vaunted Vortex warranty. That alone says a lot too.
Kind of a dumb comment on this post dont you think? What other company would have replaced the optics listed due to a fire? Ill wait for your reply. This was not any fault of the OP or his optics being defective.

Kind of a dumb comment on this post dont you think? What other company would have replaced the optics listed due to a fire? Ill wait for your reply. This was not any fault of the OP or his optics being defective.
I disagree. What he is saying, is based on reports from actual owners, is that you can expect the product to fail. As such, you can expect to have to use the warranty; granted it is a not fault warranty. But many here prefer to purchase products that are not known to fail, despite not having a no fault warranty. As far as the fire goes, insurance covers those things, if you have it.

KHNC

WKR
I disagree. What he is saying, is based on reports from actual owners, is that you can expect the product to fail. As such, you can expect to have to use the warranty; granted it is a not fault warranty. But many here prefer to purchase products that are not known to fail, despite not having a no fault warranty. As far as the fire goes, insurance covers those things, if you have it.
Except this particular incident had nothing at all to do with failure. EVERY company out there has failures. Vortex probably has 5-10x the number of units sold as most other companies. That alone means a higher percentage of failures. 5% of 5,000,000 is a lot more than 5% of 1,000,000. What % of unit failure would you consider acceptable as a company? I dont know what there failure % is , but i bet its pretty low overall.

JGRaider

WKR
Except this particular incident had nothing at all to do with failure. EVERY company out there has failures. Vortex probably has 5-10x the number of units sold as most other companies. That alone means a higher percentage of failures. 5% of 5,000,000 is a lot more than 5% of 1,000,000. What % of unit failure would you consider acceptable as a company? I dont know what there failure % is , but i bet its pretty low overall.
In case you missed it, there were numerous other posters on this thread that commented on their own personal Vortex CS experiences. I thought that was very evident, but I guess not. It's fine to be a Vortex fanboy, but their CS gets lots of practice evidently.

rclouse79

WKR
So back in February my father in laws barn burned down. It was a very hot fire with a lot of equipment and fuel inside. Melted aluminum bike frames, scopes, etc. I had a set of Viper HD 12x50’s and my FIL had a set of Fury rangefinding Binos. Digging through the rubble, we only could find lenses, prisms, and what looked like a small computer board attached to a lense that we presumed were his set. I emailed vortex about it and they said to send what we could find in. Less than 2 weeks later, I get a box from Vortex with a brand new set of Vipers and a letter stating we’ll get the Fury’s as soon as they are in stock. For absolutely no charge. Keep in mind, these aren’t cheap sets. The Vipers average $550 and the Fury’s are well over $1000. I’m blown away by this. Obviously this goes way above a warranty claim. It wasn’t there fault at all but needless to say, their customer service is the best of any company I’ve ever seen…period. I encourage anyone to buy Vortex! View attachment 401786View attachment 401787View attachment 401788
They are legit. I damaged a lens by holding a can of compressed air to close. I sent them in with a note saying what happened and that I would happily pay to have the lens replaced. I got them back no charge with a free hat in the box. I have seen threads praising Vortex before and the optics snobs can't help but come out and say "It is a good thing they have amazing customer service because you are going to need it." I bought a pair of used Kaibabs over 10 years ago and have had zero problems with them. I think many optics snobs feel compelled to constantly reassure themselves and everyone else that they made a great purchase. I probably would too if I dropped 2k+ on some binos.

KHNC

WKR
In case you missed it, there were numerous other posters on this thread that commented on their own personal Vortex CS experiences. I thought that was very evident, but I guess not. It's fine to be a Vortex fanboy, but their CS gets lots of practice evidently.
Not a fanboy, And it sounds like you never owned a Vortex product. I was just stating the obvious.

JGRaider

WKR
You'd be wrong.....Fury AB 5000. Focus ring so tight and unusable I had them serviced. Sent them promptly back to me with slight improvement, so I sold them.

CorbLand

WKR
Not a fanboy, And it sounds like you never owned a Vortex product. I was just stating the obvious.
The other obvious is the number of people that have had good experiences with the CS, which in turn means its has been used a lot. I worked for a sporting goods store for nearly 8 years. I worked in the optics section for nearly all of this and can tell you for a fact that we sent more Vortex optics back out of the box for issues than any other brand by a long shot. Diamondbacks had the largest failure rate of all models.

Not a fan boy of any brand and every brand has models that stand out for the price point they are in.

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR
I have had very good CS experience with Vortex, however the 2 optics I had to send in out of the few vortex products I’ve owned didn’t set well with me.

One of the failures occurred at the beginning of a local deer season where my wife had the tag. I asked Vortex for a loaner spotting scope and they informed me they do not provide loaners.

The rifle scope that failed to track right out of the box was promptly repaired and sent back to me, overall it was a great experience, however they said I most likely over tightened the rings. I call BS on that, the scope is junk which is why it failed.

I’m not opposed to using their product’s again but I won’t use any of their stuff that I have to rely on during a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
The other obvious is the number of people that have had good experiences with the CS, which in turn means its has been used a lot. I worked for a sporting goods store for nearly 8 years. I worked in the optics section for nearly all of this and can tell you for a fact that we sent more Vortex optics back out of the box for issues than any other brand by a long shot. Diamondbacks had the largest failure rate of all models.

Not a fan boy of any brand and every brand has models that stand out for the price point they are in.
Diamondback line is mostly low priced junk. In line with Tasco really. But i see your point.

CorbLand

WKR
Diamondback line is mostly low priced junk. In line with Tasco really. But i see your point.
I agree. When it comes to binos

Nikon Prostaff 7S > Diamondbacks
Nikon Monarch 7 < Vipers
Zeiss Conquests > Razors

All Vortex are overpriced for what you get, that warranty comes with a cost and you pay for it upfront. As someone that has sold easily a thousand plus pairs of binos, the main reason that people buy Vortex is because of the warranty. I could get people better binos at better prices and they would take the Vortex because "the warranty is so good" or "I know a guy that has sent his back 3 times and they fix them every time." Personally, I don't buy something for the warranty and if you have had to send it back 3 times, something is wrong.

The number of failures I have seen, I do not trust Vortex products but they do have some good stuff. FedEx doesn't deliver to the backcountry.

Another major thing is what does someone consider good customer service? I posted some negative experiences regarding Vortex and one of their reps reached out to me and offered me some free swag as a "sorry." I waited 11 months for a pair of Vipers, called half a dozen times and was told twice they would ship that day. I am sorry but getting a free shirt and hat does not repay me for that. I am about 50/50 on Vortex customer service encounters. Many in this thread have said they received good customer service and stated they got a free shirt or hat. That isnt good customer service in my opinion.

Like I posted earlier, I had to send a Swaro ATS back after about 2.5 years of owning it for condensation in the eye piece. I had to pay to ship it from Utah to RI and luckily was able to send through work and get a discounted shipping rate. Cost me about 40 bucks to send it back for Swaros failure. Turn around time was about 3 weeks and it took a week to ship it to me, so I was out the scope about a month total. I wouldnt say Swaro had outstanding customer service but it was better than Vortex. They told me up front they were about 3-4 weeks out but sometimes could get them done sooner.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I agree. When it comes to binos

Nikon Prostaff 7S > Diamondbacks
Nikon Monarch 7 < Vipers
Zeiss Conquests > Razors

All Vortex are overpriced for what you get, that warranty comes with a cost and you pay for it upfront. As someone that has sold easily a thousand plus pairs of binos, the main reason that people buy Vortex is because of the warranty. I could get people better binos at better prices and they would take the Vortex because "the warranty is so good" or "I know a guy that has sent his back 3 times and they fix them every time." Personally, I don't buy something for the warranty and if you have had to send it back 3 times, something is wrong.

The number of failures I have seen, I do not trust Vortex products but they do have some good stuff. FedEx doesnt deliver to the backcountry.

Another major thing is what does someone consider good customer service? I posted some negative experiences regarding Vortex and one of their reps reached out to me and offered me some free swag as a "sorry." I waited 11 months for a pair of Vipers, called half a dozen times and was told twice they would ship that day. I am sorry but getting a free shirt and hat does not repay me for that. I am about 50/50 on Vortex customer service encounters.
Only thing i would add is the Zeiss Conquest < Razor UHD. i have never owned anything less than the Viper HD line. I use Razor line nowadays. But i just bought a Zeiss Conquest over the Vortex LHT for my new rifle build.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Here's how to maximize the value of the Vortex warranty IMO:

I bought my Vortex binos used to save some money, but also have the peace of mind of the lifetime, transferrable warranty even if their products need it more than high end binos.

For my budget, how I use them and the price for used, it's an easy decision to go this route for my needs. YMMV.

Eddie

ahammer

FNG
i own several different vortex products and have had nothing but good luck with them. i hope to never have to use the warranty but good to know that they will take care of it if i do

nobody

WKR
The OP's experience doesn't surprise me and mirrors what I've heard in situations such as this. I've sent in 2 of my own personal items to Vortex for warranty claims. The first one was from over-torquing scope rings grossly, 25 inch pounds plus loctite. Yeah it was murdered... They upgraded me free of charge. I ended up selling the scope when I sold the rifle. Second time was a Diamondback spotter I got when I was broke in college. I had used it lots and taken it on several hunts and it had tipped over probably 15 times. There wasn't necessarily anything wrong, it just seemed like it wasn't as clear as when I got it. I sent it in, they rebuilt it (replaced a couple of lenses and repurged) and it was back to me in 8 days total. Their product isn't perfect, no, but they take better care of me than Swaro has. Leupold has taken care of me in the past, and they were good and communicated well, but they were slow.

Bottom line, optics are mechanical devices that do fail from time to time. Scopes CANNOT fail, but other stuff eventually does it seems. How I'm treated when it does means a ton to me, and Vortex wins, period.

Vortex makes great optics for folks that don't know how to take care of stuff. I buy vortex for my kids to carry. And when I say carry, I mean drag by the harness straps. And I don't have to freak out when the rub their grubby little fingers all over the glass. I've owned as much vortex glass, hats and stickers as the next guy so don't @ me about being a hater

That said... i have buddy who uses razors that will out glass and out hunt me all day. So there's that. Carry on

Last edited:

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like every Vortex owner has had to use the vaunted Vortex warranty. That alone says a lot too.
That's not the way I see it at all. I posted here about great Vortex CS for a part I needed that wasn't included in a purchase of a used Vortex product...which they sent me...free of charge...which they didn't have to do. That says a lot.

I've owned a half dozen or more Vortex products over the last few years in real life hunting and have never needed the warranty. That also says a lot. I've also owned plenty of big three Alpha stuff and have had issues with some of it including a couple Swaro focus mechanisms and Zeiss eyecups. No brand is immune.

This is probably pretty common sense stuff but I'll point it out anyway...wouldn't you probably figure the folks that respond to a Vortex CS thread are likely those that have actually used their CS? For every one person that has had to use their warranty and posts here there are likely a thousand times more that haven't and don't respond to the thread.

Half the posters to this thread alone have stated that the damage to the Vortex product was their own fault, not from a defective item. And Vortex still fixed it.

There's always those chronic Vortex haters who just can't let a few folks comment on their good experience with Vortex without taking a crap all over their thread.

Last edited:
OP
W
Crazy how quick people are to knock down a company when someone is trying to praise them. The title of my post was “Vortex Amazing Customer Service” and not “vortex amazing quality”. I for one, am a believer. The product never failed me. I basically sent them bag a baggie of cocoa pebbles and got about $1700 in products being replaced at no cost to me (other than $20 in UPS for my baggie of charcoal). Wasn’t their fault and had they told me to pound sand, I couldn’t complain. In this case, they have a lifelong customer now out of me and my family. And to say “that’s what insurance is for” certainly must mean you haven’t dealt with insurance before. It certainly is way harder than what Vortex just did for me. Imagine your lifetime of tools, toys, and equipment disappearing in 2 hours. 2 months later and it’s still a fight. Having my binoculars replaced for free gave me a little happiness in this mess.

cmahoney

WKR
Crazy how quick people are to knock down a company when someone is trying to praise them. The title of my post was “Vortex Amazing Customer Service” and not “vortex amazing quality”. I for one, am a believer. The product never failed me. I basically sent them bag a baggie of cocoa pebbles and got about $1700 in products being replaced at no cost to me (other than $20 in UPS for my baggie of charcoal). Wasn’t their fault and had they told me to pound sand, I couldn’t complain. In this case, they have a lifelong customer now out of me and my family. And to say “that’s what insurance is for” certainly must mean you haven’t dealt with insurance before. It certainly is way harder than what Vortex just did for me. Imagine your lifetime of tools, toys, and equipment disappearing in 2 hours. 2 months later and it’s still a fight. Having my binoculars replaced for free gave me a little happiness in this mess.

I wouldn’t look at it as a dig, I appreciate unbiased reviews of companies like Vortex. Your experience was good to hear as well as the bad experiences. After my personal experience with Vortex, I know exactly what they are and will purchase their products accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk