Vortex Carbon Summit II Tripod - Head Compatability

Dkathman5

FNG
Hey Folks,

Anyone that is running the Vortex Summit Carbon II Tripod know whether is is compatible with either of the following Heads from other manufacturers. I love this Tripod, but am not too fond of the functionality of the Stock Pan Head.

1. Siriu VA-5 Fluid Head
2. Slik SVH-501 Compact Fluid Video Head

I believe they are compatible, but can't find it precisely anywhere online.
Appreciate any information out there.

nobody

WKR
Currently running the SVH-501 head on my summit carbon 2. It's my backcountry setup. The Vortex head screws off just like any other tripod head and has a 1/4"x20 screw on top to take any tripod head you want.

OP
Dkathman5

Dkathman5

FNG
Hey @ Nobody, I figured that either of the heads that I mentioned above would be compatible, but wanted to see if anyone could provide some insight. Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
Last edited:

mouri010

FNG
Good info. Is the pan head on the vortex tripods really that bad that you prefer to replace it?

nobody

WKR
Good info. Is the pan head on the vortex tripods really that bad that you prefer to replace it?
It isn’t bad, it’s just not conducive to glassing with binos or fine detail work. It’s great for what it is but a fluid head is better for gridding and such. It’s mostly personal preference, but most western hunters and glassers prefer a quality fluid head

OP
Dkathman5

Dkathman5

FNG
I run the SVH-501 on my Summit Carbon II and the VA5 (with the Aziak CF handle) on my Ridgeview Carbon. Both are great combos and I use them both in different scenarios.

I use this adapter that @nobody recommended to me in another thread on same topic:

@evergreebethos I appreciate the information. I’m going to go with one of these options just not positive which one yet.

OP
Dkathman5

Dkathman5

FNG

No it’s not that bad, but I found that the Stock pan head doesn’t stay fixed as well as I would like it to when locking binos or spotter into a stationary position, there is usually some initial movement after adjusting sets. Fluid head would be more conducive to gridding areas for glassing sessions, I’m looking for a better handle setup as well with more length away from center post on tripod.