Vortex: China or Japan?

How do you know which models are made where. Looking at Razor HD (specifically 8x42s) and wonder where made. Too risky to get China made ones IMO

JGRaider

WKR
I believe the only Vortex bino made in Japan are the new UHD. The Razor HD's and below are all Chinese or Phillipines or such. Bad idea by Vortex IMO.

Scwoody1

FNG
My viper HD’s say China right on the box.. When you look through them it’s even more obvious.....

OP
txhunter581
There are guys selling 10x42 razor HDs that say made in Japan?? I was hoping Razors were made there?

There are guys selling 10x42 razor HDs that say made in Japan?? I was hoping Razors were made there?
Does it really matter in the end though? If you look through 'em and like 'em, what's the difference, just like if you look through 'em and don't like 'em. I totally get not wanting to buy a Chinese made product, and if it matters that much to you, I say shit can the whole Vortex idea and pick up a pair of Swaro's, guaranteed you'll like them much better anyway.

OP
txhunter581
I def trust Japan craftsmanship a lot more than china. And I am still considering the Swaros but they are double the cost. Lots of good reviews out there for Razors HDs

What really gets me is that Vortex was originally made in USA. But they sold out, literally

Looks like they were made in USA, then Japan, then China. All the bad reviews seem to be the China made ones

Last edited:

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
I didnt read every response but...if you read the “made in China” or “made in Japan” that’s usually a strong indication 😂 sorry. Couldn’t help it.
I haven’t shopped Vortex in a few years but at the time only the Razor line was Japanese made and everything else was stamped China or Philippines but that may have changed. Good luck!

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
I def trust Japan craftsmanship a lot more than china. And I am still considering the Swaros but they are double the cost. Lots of good reviews out there for Razors HDs

What really gets me is that Vortex was originally made in USA. But they sold out, literally

Looks like they were made in USA, then Japan, then China. All the bad reviews seem to be the China made ones

Yeah pretty interesting. I didn’t know that it was ever made in the USA. Got their name blown up then sold out I guess. Bummer but it’s a business so bottom dollar is usually a huge if not THE factor. Some of their stuff I’ve really liked and some of it I’ve wanted to throw off a mountain. The inconsistency I experienced annoyed me so I haven’t tried any of their newish stuff. Lots of guys love it and never have any problems though

Twitch

WKR
Old ones were Japan, even the lower models. It will say on the tag with the serial number, usually on the underside near the hinge

Attachments

• 5B57C787-A2A5-443E-8F7B-91F6B5FF9BF2.jpeg
    5B57C787-A2A5-443E-8F7B-91F6B5FF9BF2.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 62
  • B45CA8A8-DF6C-42A1-8700-ACDC708877CD.jpeg
    B45CA8A8-DF6C-42A1-8700-ACDC708877CD.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 63

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider

Adding to my last response to you...one of the products I had the biggest problem with was the Razor bino. Glass was good but the focus broke in the middle of a hunt...in the middle of nowhere. Broke as in just stopped working couldn’t focus at all. I didn’t drop them or anything. Sent them to vortex, they “fixed” them and sent them back. Same thing again. Sent them back...same thing. I sold them and haven’t gone back it left a bad taste in my mouth. I seemed to have got a lemon, it happens. I actually like the Viper line most it’s half the price of Razor and never gave me any problems

Like you said Swaro is a no brainer but twice the cost or more. Buy once cry once!!! Zeiss conquest HD is about the same cost as the Razor that’s a good alternate to check out too. I haven’t tried them but lots of good reviews on Maven and I think they’re in the same price range. Rants over have fun haha

My turn to be the fly in the ointment i guess. Have a friend that works at swaro, all the parts for the optics come in made in china boxes. Glass is legit, but everything else is chinese made.

If they were made in Japan, it will say that on the binoculars. Not too many companies want to make it obvious that their products were made in China. Why do you suppose that is? Yup. You're right.

I'd never buy a Vortex bin made in China. If the new UHD's are being made in Japan, there is a good reason for that. I've had great luck with Japanese-made optics. I've had almost nothing but problems with Chinese-made optics. Other than my wife's Bushnell Legend M's, they all suck. The Legend M's are the only exception I've found.

You're going to break Rokslide.
I never expected every knob, eyecup, rubber armor, lens covers etc to be made in Austria. The glass is European and they’re designed
and constructed in Austria. Add that with the view through them and the heirloom quality and I’m fine forking over my money even if there is a little Chinese plastic and rubber on there.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex hasnt ever been made in the USA- i have a three year old pair of Diamonbacks and they are made in China.