Vortex Crossfire HD Binos

bmicek

WKR
Recently won a sporting clays competition for work and as top prize I got some 12x42 Crossfire HD binos. I’m not someone to cheap out on optics so my immediate thought was to sell them to start a fund for premium binos.

My question though is, what’s HD about these Crossfire HD binos? I’ve used Diamondback optics and they were poor performing. But what about these Crossfire HD’s earns them the HD badge? Or are they essentially slightly nicer Crossfire bino’s?

From Vortex Website...

HD Optical System Optimized with select glass elements to deliver exceptional resolution, cut chromatic aberration and provide outstanding color fidelity, edge-to-edge sharpness and light transmission.

I picked up some Crossfire HD 12x50's and I'm very happy with them. I even sold my Viper 15x50's because neither myself or my hunting partners that I showed the side-by-side comparison while both were mounted on a tripod could really tell a difference. We were glassing an old building a little over a mile away and nobody could see details with the Viper that you couldn't see with the Crossfire, even with the lower magnification. Maybe some of the bino gurus out there will laugh at that but I really think the glass quality is the exact same as the higher priced models.