Vortex Diamondback or Athlon?

I currently glass with 12x50 vortex diamondbacks HD. I hunt elk and mule deer in Idaho. I like them but I’m considering spending a bit more for better quality. Would like to stay around $500. I get a discount on Athlon Midas 2 UHD in 12x50 or Athlon Cronus 2 UHD in 10x42 (not available in 12x50). I would prefer the Cronus as it’s higher quality but it’s not made in 12x50. So do I drop magnification in exchange for better glass with the Cronus. Go with the Midas in 12x50, or would there even be any improvement over the Diamondback? I do worry the Diamondback in that magnification isn’t good enough quality glass. Thoughts? FYI I don’t use a spotter.

JStol5

WKR
Maven. They have a certified Amazon store, easy to get them. I have 10 x 42 C1s (I think) and they’re excellent for the price.

I’m in a similar spot as you looking for 12x binos for around $500. I’m also looking at the Viper HD, Maven C.3, and Leupold BX-4.

The Mavens have a poor FOV which is why I’m leaning away from them though.

The Athlon Cronus G2 UHD 10x42 is simply exceptional for the price. If you can get them at a discount they certainly won’t disappoint for the price. IME, I haven’t found another binocular near this price that can beat them. Really don’t think the Diamondbacks or Midas measure up. Personally find myself far more effective at glassing using a crisp and immersive 10x42 than a lesser 12x42. Of course, if you can step up into the near $1k range there are a plethora of high performing options.

Here is an older thread discussing some of the features in detail

OP
Idaho_bow_hunter
I’m in a similar spot as you looking for 12x binos for around $500. I’m also looking at the Viper HD, Maven C.3, and Leupold BX-4.

The Mavens have a poor FOV which is why I’m leaning away from them though.
I also saw the frame of the Mavens in polymer as opposed to the Athlons that have a magnesium frame.

Macintosh

WKR
I had a chance to look through a set of the 15x bushnell forge model at a match recently, they are exceptionally crisp for the $ and I see online for only a bit more than $500. I did not really give them a thorough testing, but a few minutes spotting with it they appeared to be a LOT of bang for the buck. I think glass on these on my quick look was equal to my FuryHD5000's if not a bit better. I have a smaller pair of diamondback binos and the bushnell's blew those out of the water--maybe the larger diamondbacks are nicer than mine?

I have several Athlon optics (binos, spotter, and scopes) and can tell you that they beat Vortex at each price point. I have owned the Vortex Diamondback 10x42s and Viper 10x42s. I kept the Vipers for a backup pair but sold the Diamondbacks because my Midas 8x42 whooped 'em in every category except weight. I also own the Cronus 15x binos and they're awesome.

I'd say the Midas line is similar to the Vipers, at half the cost, and the Cronus line is comparable to the Razors.

Go for the Cronus binos and you'll probably be very happy with them.

OP
Idaho_bow_hunter
Go for the Cronus binos and you'll probably be very happy with them.
I think that’s good advice. I could swing a pair of 1k glass but with bows, guns, packs, etc. I’m just not there yet. The Cronus, even though it’s not 12x50 should be a great upgrade from my diamondbacks. If I don’t like them I’ll return them. I just hope they are enough magnification off the tripod…

tony

WKR
I got a set of Kowa 10x42 BD2 XD from Cameraland a few months back. I really don’t have the experience or no how to offer a real review. But, I told Doug what I wanted to spend and that I wanted do it all glass.
The Kowas have been great

HuntNTag

WKR
I think that’s good advice. I could swing a pair of 1k glass but with bows, guns, packs, etc. I’m just not there yet. The Cronus, even though it’s not 12x50 should be a great upgrade from my diamondbacks. If I don’t like them I’ll return them. I just hope they are enough magnification off the tripod…

You won’t miss out on the magnification as much as you’ll gain from clearer glass and better light gathering during the lower light conditions. I think you’ll be surprised at how much you’ll like the 10’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I upgraded to the cronus 10x42 after have the Diamondback 12x50s for two years. Definitely a great move, I don’t miss the magnification at all, the clarity makes up for it. i