Vortex Diamondback vs Viper HD

First post as a long time lurker.

So my wife recently drew her first bull tag (late AZ in a unit suited to glassing) so we need to get a second pair of bino’s. I currently have Diamondback 10x42’s which I have really loved compared the cheapos I grew up using. Now that we need to get a second pair, I am debating on sticking with the DB (~$225) or stepping up to Vipers or something comparable (~$500). Does anyone have experience comparing the two?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If your budget runs to $500.00 you can get a Meopta Meopro, An Athlon Cronus or Midas, a GPO Passion ED, A Leupold or any number of superior binocular to the Vortex. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what would be best for you

Maven C1s are what you're looking for. Better glass than Viper for almost Diamondback prices, especially when they go on sale. I've tried all of these. They receive rave reviews unlike the Vortex binos with the same warranty.

If you're sticking with Vortex, Viper is much better so go with that.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I own several brands of binoculars and I sell Sig Sauer, Vortex, Leupold optics. If money is a problem look at the Sig products, they sell products that are a couple hundred dollars less than a similar Vortex. The biggest problem you find in any optic is that the cheaper products are less in one way or another, most often I find that cheaper optics have lower quality mechanics - most often the adjustment knobs don't hold up well or the adjustments themselves don't repeat as well as the more expensive product. The Vortex products are marketed in tiers, from top to bottom, the least expensive/entry level optic at the top, toward the more expensive, more professional level products on the bottom:

Crossfire
Diamondback
Viper
Razor

I prefer the Viper and Razor products, I just bought a new pair of Viper binos for exactly the same reason (my wife is hunting for the first time this year). She likes my Leupold 10x40 binos and that's what she'll carry, I like the new Viper 12x50 and I'll be carrying them. They are pretty similar but there is a noticeable difference between the details that I can see with the Vortex being slightly better. I also like the ability of the Vortex binos to identify detail in lower light conditions (dawn and dusk).

OP
canyonhunter47
A momentary tangent:

I ebb & flow with the "buy the best you can afford" mentality because it overlooks a lot of other factors. Not knowing your guys' overall budget or wife's experience, I would also be thinking about:
  1. Does she have a well fitted pack?
  2. Does she have a good set of boots?
  3. How does her rifle/scope package look?
  4. What's her experience level?
An extra $300 can be a pretty nice pack, or boots/socks that will make the hike/pack-out more enjoyable, or $300 can almost be a case of ammo for a lot of calibers. An extra 150 - 200 practice rounds through a rifle could make a significant difference in the outcome of a hunt.

If she is brand new to glassing for animals, an extra $300 in the cost of bino's may not make any difference at all. But $300 in gas/lunches for scouting could make a difference. Anyways, sorry for the derailment.
Good points. Scouting and practice far outweigh gear. I’d rather be in the field with basic gear often than sitting on a mountain of expensive gear at home

Anyways...

She’s taken cow elk and other big and small game, so while there some things to get, she is not starting from scratch gear-wise. The main trade-off I am considering is entry-level binos & a spotting scope OR nicer binos (no spotter, at least this season). At the same time I am all about saving money if the benefit is negligible.

Part of the reason that I am potentially interested in getting a nicer pair of binos is that I have trouble spotting and judging mule deer at long distances, even on a steady tripod. The Diamondback’s are probably fine for much larger elk but I also have other hunts in mind

Last edited:
I've owned both in the past. IMO the Vipers are significantly better than the Diamondbacks and are worth the upgrade for longer range mule deer judging. You’ll notice a big different between the two in low light conditions and when glassing into the sun, which sometimes you can’t avoid. If those are the two you’re considering I would put the money toward Vipers. Other options out there, though.

I've got friends with both and so i have spent time behind both. Me personally, i cannot tell enough of a difference to justify the cost. There are better binos than the Vipers at the Viper price point in my opinion. You'd be well served to call Doug above.

^^^^^ times a million. You can buy a spotter whenever to round out your optics arsenal. Hard to beat better than Viper quality at $300. The next step up in glass is $800-1000 and it's not a huge step up by any means from the C1.

binoman

FNG
First post as a long time lurker.

So my wife recently drew her first bull tag (late AZ in a unit suited to glassing) so we need to get a second pair of bino’s. I currently have Diamondback 10x42’s which I have really loved compared the cheapos I grew up using. Now that we need to get a second pair, I am debating on sticking with the DB (~$225) or stepping up to Vipers or something comparable (~$500). Does anyone have experience comparing the two?

I have owned both the diamondback (latest version released in 2016) and the Viper HD (latest version released in 2018) both in 12x50. There is a noticeable difference between them. Firstly the latest diamondback is a big upgrade from the previous version as it now has dielectric coatings on the prisms. However it does not have ED glass like the Viper HD. As a result, to my eyes, chromatic aberration was very noticeable in the diamondback compared to the Viper. To the point it was annoying. The Viper has a much better view, larger sweetspot, and better edge to edge clarity than the diamondback. Agree with others though, if you are not used to using binoculars you may not notice a $300 difference in performance between the two.

Should also note that the new Vipers have a much wider field of view than the older versions which is nice, however they are made in China now, not Japan. The first pair I received would not focus properly. Sent it back to Vortex and they replaced it promptly without questions. The second one seems to be slightly off in the left barrel and not as clear as the right, but you have to really look for it. Variations in each sample might be occurring frequently so try before you buy. Also agree with others, there are other good options at this price point. Also seems a few dealers have stopped stocking Vortex due to quality issues.

So now that vipers are being made in China, you think Mavens are the way to go for same or less price?

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree with the above regarding vortex- Viper is more than worth it over the diamondback.

For about viper money, you could also look at the Leupold BX-4’s which I like quite a bit more.

Thread is a bit old but thought I'd add my opinion. I've compared the Viper, the BX-4 and the Ziess Terra all next to each other. I own Vipers but actually thought the Terra had the clearest edge to edge and low light clarity. Oddly enough it seemed like the vipers were a full power higher even they were both 10x42's -- REgardless, they are super close so I'd buy whats on sale between the two. The BX-4's IMO weren't close

I have also compared the Diamondbacks, Crossfire, Cabelas Intensity and BX-2 together. -- The Diamondbacks are hands down better than the others in that group. But there is a big step up from the Diamondbacks to the Vipers.

I've also compared the Vipers to the Mavens in that same class (c1 maybe???) on a different hunt. They are very comparable but I did prefer the Vipers but I wouldn't argue with someone that picked the Mavens.

All that being said, I finally broke down and bought a used (look new) set of SLC's for a grand this year. If you can swing it, I'd suggest going that route

I actually have Vipers for all my glass (10's, 15's, and spotter) and my tripod-- Since I bought the SLC's to upgrade my 10's, I'm kinda screwed. I think I have to upgrade everything.

Last edited: