Vortex dump

OP
amateurhourhunter

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hate to break it to ya, but Leupold spotters are Made in China as well as most their binoculars. BX-4/BX-5 Binos are made in Japan, everything else is Chinese. Was very disappointed seeing that after dropping almost $1k on a SX-4 spotter.

And on the scopes, do a little research. They don’t have the best reputation these days. I had a VX-6 fail during a hunt, and while the Mark 5’s are super nice I can’t trust them either.
Yea I’m seeing that now just from comments. I had a vx scope long time ago and the damn reticle was crooked.

nobody

WKR
Yes, I say you're being irrational. Unfortunately, these days country of origin does not equate to quality (or lack thereof). Case in point, Vortex's Razor HD binos. They're made by the same company to the same spec as when they were in Japan, the OEM just moved production to their China facility. So just because the factory is located in China, the company fabricating them is based in Japan.

Leupold is "MaDe In ThE UsA" but there's probably as many or more Chinese components in their products as any other brand (Notice their tagline is now "Designed, Machined, Assembled in USA") I've been grossly underwhelmed by EVERY Leupold product I've owned and had experience with, from binos to scopes to rangefinders to spotters and everything in between. Their eyecups suck IMO, I don't like their color rendition through their coatings, and their electronics warranty is amongst the worst in the industry. So I look elsewhere without thinking twice.

As a matter of fact, the most catastrophic failure I've ever had in a scope was on a $1k VX5HD. Was murdered by the recoil from a Howa 1500 in 7 Rem Mag, quit tracking fairly fast. Also ended up with a spiderweb crack on an internal lens for no reason. Put it in the safe and it was fine, pulled it out a week later to go shoot and it had a big crack across an internal lens. Nobody gets in that safe but me, so why did it fail? Leupold scopes are notorious for wandering zero. I'll never own one again, unless I get a hankering to chase my tail for fun.

Realistically, a move from Vortex to Leupold for all other pieces of glass is more of a lateral move and based on personal preference. Personally, though they've never left me high and dry, Leupold's customer service has always been SLOW and inefficient and at time accusatory and questioning (are you sure you did this right, are you sure it's broken, etc.).

For riflescopes, I've moved to SWFA 100%. My other gear is largely Vortex because it works for me and mechanical devices can and do fail, and I like knowing that when they do a company will stand behind their product for me. I don't have faith that Leupold will do that as efficiently as Vortex will, so I own lots of Vortex products (except their scopes).

I currently run Vortex's 10x50 UHD Binos, a Viper 20-60x85 Spotter, Viper 3000 RF, and a Diamondback 15x56 Bino for tripod work when needed. Wife uses their Diamondback 10x42's and they're great for her. My backpacking tripod is also a Summit Carbon II with a Slik SVH-501 Fluid Head swap. I'm not necessarily brand loyal, but I find that Vortex offers a ton of bang for the buck for my uses so I do use lots of their stuff.

Leupold is stuck in 1985 as far as I'm concerned, and their expired in 2010-ish military contract isn't enough to keep them relevant in 2022.

Long story short, yes I think your move to Leupold for your listed reasons is short sighted. Now, if their optics fit your eyes better or there's a legitimate reason otherwise, then I say go for it. But if it's just for country of origin, my advice is to do a bit more research before you throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Oddly enough, Lots of Leupold's and Vortex's stuff is made by the same OEM manufacturers. The Vipers and SX-4 spotting scopes are the EXACT same scope, just built to whatever company's spec is that wants their logo on the side. The Razor and SX-5 really are identical, go lay them side by side at your local optics counter and you'll just shake your head. There's more in common with them than you'd think, it all comes down to ergos and coatings and... customer service. Leupold falls behind on all 3 for me, but especially their CS.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Who do you consider a top contender for scopes? S&B? Nightforce?
Its usage and scope specific. Do you consider bushnell a higher end brand? Cause their xrs2 and now the xrs3 are awesome. Vortex gen3 are pushing alpha class

If you want to spend money: Tangent theta, zco, blazer, march, and S&B should be a good start.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Also, if your mad about China parts you need to petition congress. There's a law stating we can't use Chinese parts for certain dod items, but guess what...... Theres a magnet from China they found in every F35 made. Now they're asking for a waiver..... China here China there. China makes my underwear.

But seriously. They could take us over politically and most people just shrug.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Vortex gen3 are pushing alpha class

I’ve seen 6 Gen 3’s used enough to see anything- four of of them (1-10x’s) hard broke before 400 rounds- two of those failed before 200 rounds. Two of the higher powered ones had incremental zero loss.

If you want to spend money: Tangent theta, zco, blazer, march, and S&B should be a good start.

What’s been your experience with hard use and the TT, ZCO, March, and Blaser?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Im a poor
I’ve seen 6 Gen 3’s used enough to see anything- four of of them (1-10x’s) hard broke before 400 rounds- two of those failed before 200 rounds. Two of the higher powered ones had incremental zero loss.

What’s been your experience with hard use and the TT, ZCO, March, and Blaser?
I'm a poor. Im not dropping 3k+ on an optic.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Lol. I can attest to the xrs2. Been to 1000 and back on a couple rifles multiple times. Last time I took my 6.5 out back I went 5/5 on my 1 moa steel. Only issue is the eyebox/darkening at higher mag.

But someone won king of 2 mile a while ago with it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Lol. I can attest to the xrs2. Been to 1000 and back on a couple rifles multiple times. Last time I took my 6.5 out back I went 5/5 on my 1 moa steel. Only issue is the eyebox/darkening at higher mag.

But someone won king of 2 mile a while ago with it.
The higher end Bushnells are generally quite good scopes.

OP
amateurhourhunter

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I say you're being irrational. Unfortunately, these days country of origin does not equate to quality (or lack thereof). Case in point, Vortex's Razor HD binos. They're made by the same company to the same spec as when they were in Japan, the OEM just moved production to their China facility. So just because the factory is located in China, the company fabricating them is based in Japan.

Leupold is "MaDe In ThE UsA" but there's probably as many or more Chinese components in their products as any other brand (Notice their tagline is now "Designed, Machined, Assembled in USA") I've been grossly underwhelmed by EVERY Leupold product I've owned and had experience with, from binos to scopes to rangefinders to spotters and everything in between. Their eyecups suck IMO, I don't like their color rendition through their coatings, and their electronics warranty is amongst the worst in the industry. So I look elsewhere without thinking twice.

As a matter of fact, the most catastrophic failure I've ever had in a scope was on a $1k VX5HD. Was murdered by the recoil from a Howa 1500 in 7 Rem Mag, quit tracking fairly fast. Also ended up with a spiderweb crack on an internal lens for no reason. Put it in the safe and it was fine, pulled it out a week later to go shoot and it had a big crack across an internal lens. Nobody gets in that safe but me, so why did it fail? Leupold scopes are notorious for wandering zero. I'll never own one again, unless I get a hankering to chase my tail for fun.

Realistically, a move from Vortex to Leupold for all other pieces of glass is more of a lateral move and based on personal preference. Personally, though they've never left me high and dry, Leupold's customer service has always been SLOW and inefficient and at time accusatory and questioning (are you sure you did this right, are you sure it's broken, etc.).

For riflescopes, I've moved to SWFA 100%. My other gear is largely Vortex because it works for me and mechanical devices can and do fail, and I like knowing that when they do a company will stand behind their product for me. I don't have faith that Leupold will do that as efficiently as Vortex will, so I own lots of Vortex products (except their scopes).

I currently run Vortex's 10x50 UHD Binos, a Viper 20-60x85 Spotter, Viper 3000 RF, and a Diamondback 15x56 Bino for tripod work when needed. Wife uses their Diamondback 10x42's and they're great for her. My backpacking tripod is also a Summit Carbon II with a Slik SVH-501 Fluid Head swap. I'm not necessarily brand loyal, but I find that Vortex offers a ton of bang for the buck for my uses so I do use lots of their stuff.

Leupold is stuck in 1985 as far as I'm concerned, and their expired in 2010-ish military contract isn't enough to keep them relevant in 2022.

Long story short, yes I think your move to Leupold for your listed reasons is short sighted. Now, if their optics fit your eyes better or there's a legitimate reason otherwise, then I say go for it. But if it's just for country of origin, my advice is to do a bit more research before you throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Oddly enough, Lots of Leupold's and Vortex's stuff is made by the same OEM manufacturers. The Vipers and SX-4 spotting scopes are the EXACT same scope, just built to whatever company's spec is that wants their logo on the side. The Razor and SX-5 really are identical, go lay them side by side at your local optics counter and you'll just shake your head. There's more in common with them than you'd think, it all comes down to ergos and coatings and... customer service. Leupold falls behind on all 3 for me, but especially their CS.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...
I really appreciate the feedback. All my optics are vortex. I started with them and have been brand loyal throughout the years. They are good people. Customer service is on point. I was getting frustrated, I really wanted a pair of 12x50 razor and was like wtf they moved it to china and still are 1000 bucks. I totally get what you're saying about brands being manufactured in the same damn plant just with a diff name on the product. How do you like the UHDs? Maybe ill just bite it and snag a pair of those for used. Thank you for the detailed reply.

OP
amateurhourhunter

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Also, if your mad about China parts you need to petition congress. There's a law stating we can't use Chinese parts for certain dod items, but guess what...... Theres a magnet from China they found in every F35 made. Now they're asking for a waiver..... China here China there. China makes my underwear.

But seriously. They could take us over politically and most people just shrug.
BERRY compliment aint even all USA made. trust me I know. China owns us.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I really appreciate the feedback. All my optics are vortex. I started with them and have been brand loyal throughout the years. They are good people. Customer service is on point. I was getting frustrated, I really wanted a pair of 12x50 razor and was like wtf they moved it to china and still are 1000 bucks. I totally get what you're saying about brands being manufactured in the same damn plant just with a diff name on the product. How do you like the UHDs? Maybe ill just bite it and snag a pair of those for used. Thank you for the detailed reply.

Meopta B1 Plus’s are significantly better the the UHD’s.

nobody

WKR
Love my UHD’s, I actually picked them up instead of some Swaro SLC’s. They’ve been impressive and I haven’t regretted picking them up instead of other stuff.

If you’re looking at the $1k-ish mark, check out the Maven b.2 and b.6. Same factory as the Razor UHD’s (Kamakura Japan), but less money. Had a coworker who uses them and they are impressive.

TheGDog

WKR
Over on OpticsPlanet I scored on a deal where the box from the manufacturer came with BOTH a Burris 3-15x50mm Veracity FFP AND a 4-14-x44mm FullField E2 SFP scope in it. Was something like $650 or $700 I think? And the glass is nice!

Many of us don't care if China can produce quality. Hell, as much of our intellectual property as they have stolen, they ought to be damn good. Many people avoid "Made in China" where there are reasonable options, because China is an enemy in many ways. Frankly, I don't get what's so hard to understand about that.

Rob5589

WKR
After my bear hunt next month I’m most likely going to dump 90% of my vortex and switch to leupold. What made me want to do this is the razor hd, viper and diamondback are all made in China now. Use to be Japan and Philippines. The diamondback on my Winchester is a solid scope 4-16x42 and parallax adjustable. The ones made now feel cheap and less features. What made me always use vortex was the warranty and customer service. The reason I’m going Leupy is cause I do get a hefty discount. Am I being irrational?
I wouldn't spend money just to change the country of origin decal. I also would not move to Leupold based on all the information available about their failures. I've had excellent service from my Vortex binos and rangefinder. Unfortunately, 3 of 5 scopes have gone back for one reason or another. I wouldn't buy another Vortex scope, there are better options available.