Vortex Extreme Challenge

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I shot in the VEC on Saturday with Kenton from First Lite. This was a first for both of us. The VEC is basically rifle golf. You walk/run a timed 7.5 mile course to different "tee boxes" and shoot from 195 yards to 1720 yards. All said and done you shoot around 35 Shots, most shots are between 700 to 1200 yards. The terrain is pretty rough. They have it set up so you pretty much run/walk up hill the whole way or so it seems.

I was blown away by Mark and the boys from Vortex and Spirit Ridge. This is a very organized and thought out event. It's test your fitness and shooting ability under a little stress, just like in a real hunting situation. I would suggest this to anyone wanting to test there ability's with a LR rifle and there legs. As for Kenton and I we placed 19 out of 54. Not bad for a fat kid and a skier:) Kenton is a goat. The man can flat fly up those hill. We will be back next year for more fun in the Utah sun. Here is the video on the event from Spirit Ridge. I will have a short one up from us soon. Here are some pics.
[video=youtube;6SIayosMVjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIayosMVjw[/video]

photo4_zps7ea077c2.jpg

SAM_0367_zps0331f586.jpg

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Mark Boardman of Vortex making sure we are doing it right. Mark is the ring leader of this event.
SAM_0364_zps74f538bb.jpg

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Ryan, congrats on the finish. I couldn't get in this year as it filled up but have done it the last couple of years. How was the heat and what start time did you draw?? What did you think of the widowmaker?

Randy

KHNC

WKR
1720 yds.....geesh.

What rifle/optics setup did you choose?

Browtine

WKR
Looks like a great time! Did they have a .308 Win division like most of the tactical LR matches or is everyone lumped together regardless of equipment?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hey Ryan, congrats on the finish. I couldn't get in this year as it filled up but have done it the last couple of years. How was the heat and what start time did you draw?? What did you think of the widowmaker?

Randy

The widowmaker is not fat kid friendly! Kenton on the hand just motored up it like it was a walk in the park. He waited for me at a few stations.
Our start time was 7:40, when we finished it was 96 degrees I think??

Thanks Ryan for the write up, it was a super fun event, a perfect mix of marksmanship and fitness. Ryan is a full on dead eye and he has already committed to being my partner next year so no solicitations, Ha Ha. The event is highly recommended, super well run and really fun. To answer the previous thread you can shoot whatever caliber you want up to a .338, if its windy, as it has been in years past, the bigger the better. KC

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
RSTV, My rifle was a LRKM 338 Edge +P with a nightforce, Kenton was running a Hells Canyon Armory built rifle in 300 Win with a Vortex PST.

Browtine, we where all lumped together.

KHNC

WKR
Nice. Congrats on a job well done. Sounds like u have the right setup!