Vortex Extreme Long Range Challenge

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My original partner had to back out - but my good buddy from AK is trying to fit this into his schedule - he's a "ringer" with loads of trigger time and experience. Hoping he can swing the trip. Be nice to have a coach along my side. Regardless, there's no better way to learn how to swim than to jump right into the shark tank!

DC

My original partner had to back out - but my good buddy from AK is trying to fit this into his schedule - he's a "ringer" with loads of trigger time and experience. Hoping he can swing the trip. Be nice to have a coach along my side. Regardless, there's no better way to learn how to swim than to jump right into the shark tank!

DC

That's the attitude right there! I think you'll do just fine! I know that they have time constraints once you get to a stage, but I don't see anything regarding time for finishing the course early/on time/late?

Mike

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I asked this question because it was not apparent how your time affects the score - here's how it works:

"The timing component of the Vortex Extreme is based on a bracket system. Let's assume we have 50 teams, therefore we would have 7 brackets. The top 5 teams that finish with the best start to finish times would all be part of the #1 bracket. The next 5 best times are placed in the #2 bracket and so forth. We then assign a point system for each of the brackets. The #1 bracket teams will receive plus 10 points to their team score, the #2 bracket 8 points, #3 bracket 6 and so forth."

I assume brackets 4-7 would then receive 5, 4, 3 and 2 points. Times ranged from 2:21 to just over 5 hours. The top ten places had times ranging from 2:21 to 3:19 in 2012.

Coop

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to it last year and it is a hoot---I'll be there again this year. If you decide to go, practice getting in position and shooting fairly quickly. Last year, you had 7 minutes at each stage to acquire the target, get set up and shoot. And that's 7 minutes per team---it goes pretty damn quick.

Randy

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the heads up Randy. I read that they're alotting 8 minutes per station this year, but that will still go by very quickly - especially if you are out of breath. Can you PM me your number? I'd like to pick your brain a little more on what to expect. Thanks a bunch!

Coop

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up Randy. I read that they're alotting 8 minutes per station this year, but that will still go by very quickly - especially if you are out of breath. Can you PM me your number? I'd like to pick your brain a little more on what to expect. Thanks a bunch!

Coop

You bet---PM coming atcha.

Randy

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Really hoping to get some Nosler - Long Range Accubonds loaded up for this. A 168 grain 7mm with a .652 BC or a 175 with a .672 BC would come in handy for the 1200 yard targets! That BC is a big help at that kind of distance and especially since that area is known to be windy! Looking into availability right now to see if it will be possible to get them in time. I'm sure there will be a long line of long range hunters eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Coop