Vortex Fury HD 10x42 Review, By Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the Review. Do you still prefer having this all in one unit over say the Razor HD ? I’m worried ill miss the glass quality of the Razors if i make a switch the the Fury HD.

Because I am also a bowhunter I would choose having two separate units for movement reasons when in close proximity to my quarry such as my Razor 12x50’s and my smaller Ranger rangefinder. If I was strictly a rifle hunter I would keep the Fury and have a high power 2nd optic in my pack such as a spotter or bigger binos.

El_fuego

FNG
Similar question about battery life....how do you think cold temperatures would effect longevity or performance?
let me start out by saying I am a vortex customer for life, not only because of their great products but because of their great customer service I have nothing bad to say at all.

I did have a pair of these but got rid of them after my latest Montana Hunt.
Cold weather definitely plays a huge factor. Both me and a buddy had the exact same issues of two different pairs of the old furys. Ambient temp was about 15-20 all week with wind chill at or near zero. During those temps we could not range anything past 200 yards. Called Vortex and learned that the engineers were unable to get the needed power out of the batteries below 15 degrees which would affect the capability of the unit.
I was assured that the updated furys the issue had been resolved and that the ability of the unit to function in cold weather had been greatly increased.
Other that that issue if you know you won’t be hunting in those temperatures the furys are great. The glass is very crisp and the speed of the range finder is decent speed for the price point.
Again this was just my experience with the first gen furys.

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Did you do any comparison to the Nikon Laserforce or other bino/rangefinder combos at a similar price point? Love the concept of simplifying # of items in the field but really want them in 12's as you mentioned in the article.

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
Man.... rangefinder binoculars are high on my wish list. I know I’ll want a handheld rangefinder for treestand archery, but eliminating an optic out west would be great.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you do any comparison to the Nikon Laserforce or other bino/rangefinder combos at a similar price point? Love the concept of simplifying # of items in the field but really want them in 12's as you mentioned in the article.
I do not.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
let me start out by saying I am a vortex customer for life, not only because of their great products but because of their great customer service I have nothing bad to say at all.

I did have a pair of these but got rid of them after my latest Montana Hunt.
Cold weather definitely plays a huge factor. Both me and a buddy had the exact same issues of two different pairs of the old furys. Ambient temp was about 15-20 all week with wind chill at or near zero. During those temps we could not range anything past 200 yards. Called Vortex and learned that the engineers were unable to get the needed power out of the batteries below 15 degrees which would affect the capability of the unit.
I was assured that the updated furys the issue had been resolved and that the ability of the unit to function in cold weather had been greatly increased.
Other that that issue if you know you won’t be hunting in those temperatures the furys are great. The glass is very crisp and the speed of the range finder is decent speed for the price point.
Again this was just my experience with the first gen furys.
Yes the cold definitely plays a role. Luckily for me I didn't have this issue.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both the razor and the fury
. Razor is bettet
Yes the Razor is a step above the Fury. But also can’t deny the added benefit the Fury has. The Razor 12x50 also remains my preferred optic in their line. Now trying the Razor UHD.

I have this pair of binos and love them. But would really like 12 power. Too bad thats not an option. On my budget its one or the other. I think I might sell my furys in favor of the razors and see which I like better.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have this pair of binos and love them. But would really like 12 power. Too bad thats not an option. On my budget its one or the other. I think I might sell my furys in favor of the razors and see which I like better.

Agreed! I prefer the 12X too! Maybe we will get lucky and they will come out with that power in the Fury?!

I struggled picking between stretching the budget to get the fury’s, or go with a set of 12x50 vipers. I really like the 12x and my mind was kind of made up for me when I stumbled across a set of like new 12x50 razors on a different forum for under $700.

MrGallop

FNG
Thanks for the great write up and review. I've been planning on updating my setup this year and had been looking at Swaros and Leica but couldn't talk myself into spending that much $. Now that I came across this, I may just change my mind! Thanks again

WRO

WKR
Thanks for the great write up and review. I've been planning on updating my setup this year and had been looking at Swaros and Leica but couldn't talk myself into spending that much $. Now that I came across this, I may just change my mind! Thanks again

I'd look pretty hard at the HD-R liecas, they only list for a couple hundred more but are much better optically.