Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB Review, By Travis Bertrand and Matt Cashell

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Travis has been busy doing a lot of shooting this year which gave him a great opportunity to test out the new Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB laser-rangefinder binoculars. Check out his review to see how they performed and get the info you need to decide if they should have a place in your arsenal.

Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB Review - Travis Bertrand

Matt Cashell also took the Fury HD AB out for a review.

Vortex Fury HD AB Review - Matt Cashell

PSplay

FNG
Thank you for including a picture of the battery in the review (looks like a CR123). Any idea how long the battery lasts in field conditions?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for including a picture of the battery in the review (looks like a CR123). Any idea how long the battery lasts in field conditions?

You’re welcome. It’s actually a CR2 battery. I used the same battery for 3 months and didn’t have to change it.

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
This is a real question, not being a jacka$$ (can't believe I have to clarify that but I will). For people who use the leupold cds dial/scope, what benefit would these binos offer? You could range your distance, dial in on your dial and its all set based on your ballistics? Are there advanced numbers that I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

JGRaider

WKR
My CDS scopes have done great, but I don't dial them a whole, whole lot. Have them on two different 7-08's and a 7mag. On heavy dialers I've gone to FFP LRHS scopes. I personally choose to hold for wind and dial elevation.

Its really too bad the view looks as if they smeared used motor oil on the lenses... optically these thing are truly terrible and would not be suitable for more than quick glances. Hard pass on these until they get some razor level glass in these.

DanN

FNG
Travis has been busy doing a lot of shooting this year which gave him a great opportunity to test out the new Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB laser-rangefinder binoculars. Check out his review to see how they performed and get the info you need to decide if they should have a place in your arsenal.

Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB Review - Travis Bertrand

Matt Cashell also took the Fury HD AB out for a review.

Vortex Fury HD AB Review - Matt Cashell
Thanks for the review. I appreciate the info! - Dan

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Its really too bad the view looks as if they smeared used motor oil on the lenses... optically these thing are truly terrible and would not be suitable for more than quick glances. Hard pass on these until they get some razor level glass in these.
Are they really this bad? I was considering them, but if the clarity isn’t there I’ll just go with dedicated bino’s and a RF.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a very important question about these Binos…

While researching the features and what not before almost buying, I came across someone that mentioned that in the applied ballistics solver mode, the bino calculation does not consider shot angle compensation in the given ballistic solution.. apparently you have to switch to the HCD mode, which only gives your angle compensated horizontal range, and then manually enter that in a separate solver for angled shots…… is this correct?

Why in the world wouldn’t vortex make it able to add in angle to your shot solution?!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a very important question about these Binos…

While researching the features and what not before almost buying, I came across someone that mentioned that in the applied ballistics solver mode, the bino calculation does not consider shot angle compensation in the given ballistic solution.. apparently you have to switch to the HCD mode, which only gives your angle compensated horizontal range, and then manually enter that in a separate solver for angled shots…… is this correct?

Why in the world wouldn’t vortex make it able to add in angle to your shot solution?!

That is not the case. The Fury uses the on board environmental sensors to capture direction, temperature, angle of incline, pressure, and humidity. (Manual page 25) The Fury even uses the on board range, angle, and bearing data when using an AB-equipped Kestrel device for the rest of the environmentals and ballistic calculation. (Manual page 32)

Thanks, the guy that told me this said he spoke with vortex too so he seemed credible. I’ll have to set him straight on this.